Given below are the important medical terms that we come across in our daily life.
1) Allergy: allergy is a reaction of the body or tissue to contact with certain foreign substances. These substances are called allergens. In sensitive individuals they react with proteins produced within the body by cells of the immune system.
2) Anemia: anemia means a reduction in the amount of oxygen-carrying pigment, hemoglobin, in the red cells circulated in the blood. In other words, anemia is generally called bloodlessness.
3) Antibiotics: antibiotics are substance derived from one microorganism which can selectively destroy other infectious organisms without harming the host. Penicillin is an example of antibiotics.
4) Antibodies: proteins which help protect against disease causing microorganisms like bacteria, viruses and parasites present mainly in the globulin fraction of serum. These are specific substances produced in the blood to come back disease.
5) Asthma: Asthma is a disease in which there is a narrowing and obstruction of the airways. It’s a disease marked by difficulty in breathing due to spasm of the bronchial muscles.
6) Cancer: cancer is a general term to denote all forms of malignant femur. A malignant tumor any part of the human body. It can be treated with cobalt therapy.
7) Cataract: it refers to development of clouds in the lens of the eye which cause slowly progressive loss of vision.
8) Diphtheria: Diphtheria is a specific infection which usually occurs in the throat.
9) Cholera: cholera is an acute infection of the gastro- intestine tract acquired by drinking contaminated water.
10) Dysentery: Dysentery is an intestinal infection associated with diarrhea and the passage of blood and mucus in the school.
11) Jaundice: Jaundice is a condition in which there is a rise in the amount of bile pigments in the blood. These stain the skin and other tissues including the whites of the eyes, a greenish yellow color.
12) Meningitis: meningitis is an infection of the membrane covering the brain. Viral meningitis is short lived and harmless while bacterial meningitis is more serious which may cause death.