How to configure gmail to Microsoft Outlook
Now you can easily configure your gmail account to microsoft outlook with free of cost. Check out the steps
below to do that.
1. Log in to your gmail account and click settings
2. Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP. It has two options
- Enable POP for all mail
- Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on.
It is better to choose the first one because copy of all the mails will be available in outlook.
3. The next menu we have to choose is what to do when messages are accessed with POP. It has four options
- Keep gmail's copy in the inbox
- Mark gmail's copy as read
- Archive gmail's copy
- delete gmail's copy
Here also it is better to choose first option. Users can use other options if they always access gmail using
4. After doing all these click the button 'Save changes'
5. Log out from your gmail account.
These are all the settings we have to make in gmail. Next we will go to outlook.
The Outlook i have explained below is of version 2007.
1. Open Microsoft outlook from start menu
2. Click Tools and then click Options. A window appears like the one given below.
3. Select Mail setup tab and click the button E-mail accounts. A window appears like the one given below.
4. Choose the option Microsoft Exchange,POP,IMAP or HTTP and click Next button. A window appears like the
one given below.
5. Enter your name, address of the g-mail account that needs to be configured in outlook and the password for
your gmail account in the respective boxes and click Next button.
6. A window appears like the one given below when all the configuration is completed. In this step only the
configuration of gmail in outlook is done and a test mail is sent from outlook to your gmail account as a
7. Click Finish button to complete the process
Now we have configured gmail to outlook successfully but we have to do one more important thing here. We
have to transfer the address book from gmail to outlook. Otherwise it will be very difficult to manage our
contacts. Now lets see how we can do that.
1. Login to your gmail account normally using www.gmail.com
2. Click Contacts in the left hand side corner of your screen. A window appears like the one given below.
3. Click Export link. A window appears like the one given below.
4. Now we have to choose options for two questions.
Whom do you want to export? - For this, choose the option Everyone ( All contacts )
Which export format? - For this, choose the option Outlook CSV format
After choosing the above click Export button.
It will save the csv file in the name contacts.csv. If you are using google chrome you can see the file in the
bottom of your window. Note down the location of this file.
5. Once the above step is finished log out of your gmail
1. Open Microsoft outlook 2007
2. Go to File menu and click Import and Export button. A window appears like the one given below.
3. Select the option Import from another program or file from this list and click Next button.A window appears
like the one given below.
4. Select the option Comma Seperated Values (DOS) from this list and click Next button.A window appears like
the one given below.
5. Point to the location where the contacts.csv file is stored. Now we have to tell how contacts should be saved.
You can select the desired option from the given three options and click Next button.A window appears like the
one given below.
6. Now we have to select destination folder where the contacts will be saved. Select the option Contacts and
click Next button.A window appears like the one given below.
7. Click Finish button.
Now all your gmail contacts are exported to Outlook
Send / Receive Mails
Outlook scans for the incoming mails and sends the outgoing mails at regular intervals. To set this interval
1. Click Tools-> Options
2. Select Mail setup Tab.Select the option Send immediately when connected
3. Click Send/Receive button.A window appears like the one given below.
4. Select the option Schedule an automatic send/receive every ... minutes. Here you can set the desired time
interval. Least value is 1 minute.After choosing click the close button
New Mail Alert
In outlook you can set sound alert for new mail notifications. For this
1. Go to Start-> Control panel , click Sound icon. In the window that appears select the sounds tab as shown
2. In the Program menu, scroll down to select the option New mail notification.
3. In the Sounds drop menu, choose the desired windows sound you want. If you want to have your own sound
like your favourite song in a movie, then click Browse button and choose the desired file you want ( it should be
of .wav extension ) and click Ok button.
Now whenever a new mail comes you can hear your desired song.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.