Web 1.0 was just about retrieving information according to user’s need, but web 2.0 allows user to run software applications through a browser. User can own data on a web 2.0 site and have full control over the data. User participation is an essential attributes of Web 2.0 that leads to openness, freedom and collective intelligence. Its other features are rich user experience, dynamic content, metadata, web standards and scalability.
Technology infrastructure of web 2.0 includes server software, content syndication, messaging protocols, standard browsers with plug-ins and various client applications. Web 2.0 websites include following features:
1) Finding relevant information by Keyword search
2) Guide to other relevant information through links
3) Ability to create constantly updating content like wiki.
4) Categorizing contents by user defined tags.
5) Using RSS technology to rapidly notify users of updated contents
The reason behind popularity of web 2.0 is increasing use of blogs, wikis, and social networking sites. Some terms like Library 2.0, Publishing 2.0, Travel 2.0 etc. means the use of Web 2.0 technologies in those areas.
Like it on Facebook, +1 on Google, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.