How to Manage our Environment?
OUR EFFORTS IN MANAGEMENT OF ENVIRONMENT
Here are some the traditions practised in India which indirectly has helped in the concept of Environment Management. It can be said that in the past, these traditions gave a good understanding of the nature.
1. Sacred Groves: In India, the patches of forest are regarded as sacred groves. In many parts of India, they have been dedicated to a deity.
Such patches therefore, remain undisturbed and depict the true nature of the forest. Trees such as people tree, Banyan tree and herbs like Tulsi are given the symbol of respect. It is also given the value for it's religious sanctity.
2. Johads: The johad is a concave structure that collects water and store it for whole year. It's a community driven programme of water conservation and can bring prosperity.
It has a shed like structure over it that protects water loss from evaporation. The water of johad is also used for drinking purposes. It is mainly used in human drinking, recharging water table, irrigation and several other purposes. It is found mainly in Rajasthan and Gujarat.
3. Kuhls: Kuhls are water channels diverting from natural flowing river. It is a traditional irrigation technique in Himachal Pradesh. A normal kuhl can irrigate about 20 hectares of land.
It consists of temporary headwall of stones. It stores water and diverts the flow through a channel.
4. Fishing: Fishermen avoid fishing during the spawning season so that fish can also carry on their family tree.
Fishermen understand that if they avoid fishing in this season, they would get better yields in the following season.
5. Farming: The farmers of India sow only those crops that are best suited to climate and other factors like soil, irrigation facility, demand etc. Using natural fertilizers like cow dung not only adds fertility to the soil but also solves the problem of waste disposal.
The use of chemical fertilizers affects the health of the soil adversely and also pollutes the groundwater. Therefore the solution of using natural fertilizers protects the environment in a big way too.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.