Spice up your Life with Healthy Herbs and Spices (Part 3)
Oregano is a famous herb used in most of the Italian culinary cuisine. It gives a nice aroma to the food and also has many medicinal properties.
- Oregano aids digestion and helps cure various stomach related problems due to the presence of Thymol and carvacol compounds. Chewing a few leaves of Oregano can help women get relief from menstrual cramps.
- Oregano also slows down the ageing process by slowing the cell deterioration process.
- Because of its anti-parasitical properties, Oregano oil is also used to treat the problem of lice in hairs.
- Few drops of oregano oil when taken in warm water for few days can help cure sinusitis.
- Carvacol compound found in Oregano helps cure congestion and the problem of phlegm in the lungs.
- Thymol is a compound which is essentially added in cough drops and lozenges.
- Oregano should not be taken in excessive quantities as it hinders with the absorption of iron in the body.
- People with allergies to other herbs such as thyme, mint or sage, should consult a doctor before taking Organo as these people might also have a high probability of allergy to oragano as well.
- Parsley is again a great herb which not only makes the food much more tastier but also provides various health benefits.
- Parsley is rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C that are essential for a stonger immune system.
- Regular consumption of parsley can help prevent osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis because of the presence of anti-inflammatory agent "luteolin" in it.
- Garnishing your food with a bit of parsley on regular basis can help prevent various cardio-vascular problems such as heart attacks and strokes.
- Vitamin K found in parsley keeps our brain and nervous system healthy.
- Eugenol, an essential oil found in parsley is used for the therapeutic use in dentistry as a local anesthetic and anti-septic agent for teeth and gum problems.
- Parsley, if taken in large quantities by pregnant women can result in abortion.
- Excessive parley intake can also result in water retention in the body.
- Kidney patients should also avoid taking parsley.
- It should always be taken in small amounts such as garnishing on food.
Thyme is one of the most used culinary herbs and is used to give flavor and aroma to soups, stews, jellies and sauces. Health benefits of thyme are listed below.
- Thyme is extremely helpful in curing respiratory problems of acute bronchitis, laryngitis and asthma.
- Thyme is mostly used in mouthwashes to cure mouth inflammations.
- Thyme is also beneficial for problems of insomnia, depression and nightmares.
- It is also beneficial for students as it boosts memory and improves cocentration power.
- Thyme also gives a relief from gastric troubles and bloating.
Wheatgrass is prepared from the wheat plant and is mostly available in the form of juice and powder.
- Wheatgrass juice purifies the blood and also increased the red blood cells count.
- Wheatgrass also boosts the body's metabolims and stregthens the immunity.
- Regular consumption of wheatgrass juice also helps balance the thyroid hormone and its related health problems such as obesity.
- Wheatgrass also regulates the blood sugar levels and hence is very beneficial for diabetic patients.
- It is also beneficial for patients with high blood pressure as it lowers the same.
Chives belong to the family of onions, garlics and leeks.
- Chives reduce the levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) and increases the level of HDL (good cholesterol) in the body. Also, consuming chives can balance the blood pressure level.
- Chives also help prevent cancer by discouraging the growth of tomours and cancerous cells.
- Chives are rich in sulphur and hence are good for the liver de-toxification.
- Consuming chives can also stimulate one's appetite.
- Paste of chives, when applied to cuts, wounds and insect bites can heal them easily.
Cilantro is a herb similar in appearance to coriander and the leaves are mainly used to garnish the dishes.
- Consumption of cilantro helps remove toxic agents from our body.
- Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, cilantro helps cure arthritis.
- It also helps reduce menstrual cramps and balances the mood swings during menstruation.
- Cilantro also helps protect against bacterial infections by Salmonella in packaged food products.
Like it on Facebook, +1 on Google, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.