Low blood pressure-A symptom of something serious
Low blood pressure (90-60) has been termed as hypertension also. This problem has affected many people world wide. But unfortunately many people do not know that they are suffering from low blood pressure. Low blood pressure is not a disease in itself but is usually the symptom of a more serious disorder like heart problem. Low blood pressure prevents adequate oxygen and important nutrients from reaching the brain. So it should not be taken lightly. 15-20% of the people above the age of 65 have this problem.
Symptoms of low blood pressure
- Pain in the chest
- Inability to breathe properly at times or suffocation.
- Irregular heart beat
- High fever
- Numbness of the neck, difficulty in turning it.
If low blood pressure is present for a very long time one get vomiting and diarrhea. One can also get tired soon and get fainting and dizzy spells.
Causes of low blood pressure
- Side effect of medicines
- Heart problems including heart failure
- Liver problems
- Lack of important vitamins like B-12 and iron. This can also lead to anemia.
How to cure low blood pressure
- Always sit on your bed for sometime before you lay down to sleep.
- At least 8 glasses of water daily. Also take in liquids like fruit juice.
- Increase salt in the diet
- Take a cup of coffee or tea with your breakfast. But consult your doctor before you do this.
- If you feel that your blood pressure lowers after food, eat small quantities of food.
- Instead of taking 3 heavy meals a day, take 6 light meals after regular intervals.
- Rest for sometime after food.
- Reduce the amount of carbohydrates in food.
Some points to remember
- Hypertension is more pronounced in the mornings.
- Hypertension increases after meals. This is because of the sudden rise of glucose levels in the blood after food. This can be avoided by a diet low in carbohydrates.
- If you don't tend to worry, you can still get low blood pressure if you don't take adequate water and liquids.
Some home remedies
- If you start feeling dizzy, drink lot of water immediately.
- Tulsi juice taken with honey on an empty stomach is said to cure low blood pressure
- Keep 6-7 almonds in a bowl of water at night, remove the skin in the morning, mash them and boil them in milk. Then drink the milk.
If you have low blood pressure problem you need to find out the exact cause why you have it. Get a liver test, kidney test and heart test done to see if there is any major disease you are unaware of. Check whether any of your medication is causing this problem. Find out the treal cause after consulting your doctor and get the appropriate treatment done.
Like it on Facebook, +1 on Google, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.