Common misconceptions in herbal remedies
Coconut oil confusions
We educated people think coconut oil is "bad". Somehow, instinctively feel that it cannot be, neither ghee nor coconut oil can be "bad" if Ayurveda recommends them.
Interestingly, although we keep hearing that coconut oil has cholesterol, apparently all over the world people who have been using it predominantly Keralites, Philippines, Thai’s etc never really suffered major heart-related setbacks caused due to coconut oil.
Acid alkali balance:
What forms the basis of healthy human body is the acid-alkali equation. Human body is mostly alkaline. This is not to say that it is completely alkaline. Too much alkali will lead to alkalosis (if I got the term right). Some important points:
1. Fruits and vegetables actually have an alkalizing effect on the body. Fruit juices (without additional sugar) will alkalize. Most vegetables (except tomatoes) when they enter the stomach trigger the liver/gallbladder and alkalize.
2. Warm foods will stimulate digestion while cold food aggravates acidity as stomach will secrete more acid to break it down (something like defreezing).
3. An empty stomach means a little more acidic stomach, so alkalize using lime juice.
4. Fruits are better consumed 1-2 hours before or after a big meal and not along with a meal. They have an alkalizing effect and during main meal, we need a little bit of acid activity in the body.
5. Refined sugar has acidic impact so sweets and savories need some balancing after a while with lemon juice or just plain water.
I strongly believe that the current generation is under the myth that coconut oil, ginger oil and ghee are bad for health! But the fact is coconut and ginger oils are the better among ALL the oils in the market! Too much of ANY oil is bad, but these are better... These two oils can be used without any refinement. The smell is pleasing to human beings... But unrefined sunflower oil smells like shit! So by nature we are attracted to coconut and ginger oil and not the sunflower oil! We human beings have spoiled our natural ability to identify our own food.. We are the only animals who cannot recognize our own food entirely by its smell!
Ghee and honey when taken in limited quantities are extremely good for health. Taking ghee can decrease the cholesterol levels, but has to be taken under prescription as "pathyam" has to be observed when you take it. Anything taken in large quantities is bad.. As the saying goes Even nectar can be poison if taken in large quantities.
Chicken Pox is nothing to do with Fowl variety or chicken
If you are choking on an ice cube, don't panic. Simply pour a cup of boiling water down your throat and presto! The blockage will be almost instantly removed.
If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives, then you will be afraid to cough.
I have tired all sorts of weight loss programs like weight watchers, Gloria Marshall, Jenny Craig, sure slim, light and easy and i have done it, but for Indians being a vegetarian any diet is not suitable. So what I do now is my own diet. Taken from all these. Yes you should take more food when you are dieting, 5 times a day, so I follow:
Breakfast -- Porridge with 4 almonds, 3 dates in it and a teaspoon of honey.
Morning 10 am- 1 fruit (apple, pear, banana) take banana only twice a week.
Lunch - Any salad/ moong dal/ lots and lots of vegetables ( avoid pumpkin, carrots, sweet potato, potato and that is any root vegetable).
3 pm tea with any fruit ( one).
Have early dinner at 6 pm one cup basmati rice, any dal, lots of vegetable and you can fill you tummy with vegetarian food.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.