3 Breakfast items from roasted rava (Sooji)
Rava - a biproduct of wheat is used for preparing a wide variety of sweets and breakfast items. Here, I am presenting before you 3 dishes that can be served as breakfast or dinner.
It is one of the famous dishes of Syrian Christians of Kerala and they prepare it during special occasions. Finely grinded rice flour that is used for making idiyappam and pathiri is used for making Kuttiyappam along with roasted rava.
Roasted rava - 1 cup
Rice flour finely grinded - 1 cup
Grated coconut - 3/4 cup
Yeast - 1 tsp
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Cooked rice - 1/2 cup
Milk - 2 or 3 tbsp
Method of preparation:
1. Finely grind coconut, yeast and cooked rice in a mixer, by adding water and blend it with salt and sugar.
2. Take rava and rice flour in a container and add the grinded contents to it.
3. Mix the contents well, adding sufficient water (as needed for making dosa or appam) and place the batter covered for 3 hours.
4. After 3 hours, add milk to it and just stir it. The batter should have dropping consistency.
5. Place a nonstick pan in the stove and pour a large spoon of batter. Spread it to make kuttiyappam, as we make small dosa. If normal tava is used, add a little oil.
6. When one side is done, flip appam with a spatula and wait for just a few seconds. Your kuttiyappam is ready.
7. Do the same process for the remaining batter also.
Note: Always serve it hot. It tastes best with mutton stoo or potato stoo.
Of a wide variety of upma made in south India, carrot upma is most popular. It is really colourful and young kids will really love it.I am presenting one of the methods that I have experimented in my kitchen and found successful, after combining different ingredients for its preparation.
Roasted rava - 2 cup
Carrot grated - 2
Green chilli - 1
Ghee - As needed
Mustard - 1 tsp
Ginger grated - 1.5 tsp
Onion cut into small pieces - 1
Curry leaves - a little
Salt - as needed
Pepper seeds crushed - 1/2 tsp
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Cashew nut - 7 or 8
Raisins -1 tsp
Method of preparation:
1. Heat 1 or 2 tsp of ghee in a pan. Add cashew nut and raisins. When it becomes light brown, add roasted sooji and fry it till light brown.
2. In another pan, heat some ghee. Add mustard seeds and when it splutters add curry leaves.
3. Add grated carrot, cut onions, ginger, green chilli and salt. Stir well and close the lid. Cook it in low flame for 3-4 minutes.
4. Open the lid and add 2 cups of water.
5. When water boils, add freshly crushed pepper seeds and grated coconut. Stir well and allow it to boil.
6. Reduce the flame and add roasted sooji to it. Stir continuously and cook it for 3-4 minutes. If needed, just sprinkle water to it.Water must be completely absorbed before it can be taken from flame.
Serve it with bananas.
Roasted rava - 1/2 cup
Maida - 1/4 cup
Rice flour finely grinded - 1/2 cup
Water - 3.5 cups
Green chillies cut into small pieces - 2
Ginger cut into small pieces - 2tsp
Onion cut into small pieces - 1/4 cup
Cashewnut cut into small pieces - 1/4 cup
Coriander leaves cut into small pieces - 1 bunch
Cumin seeds (optional) - 1 tsp
Asafoetida powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - as needed
Ghee - as needed
Method of preparation
1. Take all the three flours in a container. Add salt and 3.5 cups of water to it. Mix well.
2. Add ginger, green chillies, coriander leaves, cumin seeds, cashewnuts, asafoetida powder and onion.
3. Place the batter for at least half hour.
4. Heat a non-stick pan. Stir the batter well. Take a cup instead of a spoon and pour it the pan. Never spread it with a spoon. Sprinkle ghee on it. When that side is done, flip dosa with a spatula and wait for just a few seconds.
5. Sprinkle a little more ghee and fold it and take it from the pan.
Serve hot with coconut chutney.
It is to be noted that rava dosa does not have any shape and it is not spread with a spoon. Just use a cup to pour the batter when the pan is well heated. Also, batter is very dilute. You should add the amount of water as I have suggested, though you feel it may not be needed. Never try to alter its shape.
Like it on Facebook, +1 on Google, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.