Hepatitis C: symptoms, infection, treatment and consequences
Hepatitis C is a serious infectious disease involving inflammation of the liver. The disease is transmitted through blood contact. Often the person who has the disease incurs no clear symptoms. After years of serious problems might occur with the liver, it can cause liver cirrhosis and liver cancer occur thereafter. Vaccination against Hepatitis C is not possible, treatment is. You can even do much to prevent hepatitis C infection.
What is hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C is a contagious and serious disease in which the liver becomes inflamed. Because most people who have the disease have not notice, ka severe liver damage hit. Infection with the virus is usually by direct contact with blood. Ways in which hepatitis C can be transmitted include:
* Blood transfusion before 1992
* By sharing needles, syringes, pipes and snuff straws, toothbrushes, razors, tattoo needles, piercing
* Surgery, dental treatment, circumcision in countries where hepatitis C songs, as Africa, Asia, South and Central America, Spain, Italy and countries in Eastern Europe
* At birth if the mother is infected (small risk of infection
Hepatitis C is one of the most common forms of chronic liver inflammation. If you are infected with the virus do you yourself do not show up. With blood the virus or evidence. The virus can cause severe liver disease, this measure may even only 20 years after infection happen again. If you think you have run a risk of infection, you can make an appointment with the doctor. This allows blood analysis. Hepatitis C is usually detected by chance, when liver functions are checked in the blood or when someone signs up as blood donors. Result of infection with hepatitis C may be getting liver cirrhosis . This happens at about 10 to 20% of infected people after ten to twenty years. Cirrhosis of the liver shows an additional opportunity to liver cancer
Symptoms that may occur
* Jaundice, with an acute inflammation
* Complaints fatigue, chronic inflammation of the liver
* Joint pain, chronic liver inflammation
* Fluid in the abdomen
* Swollen liver and spleen
Hepatitis C Treatment
Treatment with the drug interferon. This should be prolonged (over one year) are administered by injections, several times a week or even daily. By use of this agent may act as side effects;
* Flu-like symptoms
* Worsening of fatigue
* Lethargy, irritability
* Hair Loss
* Temporary impotence
After treatment of one year is about 25% of people heal. The doctor (internist or gastrointestinal liver doctor) decides whether drug treatment is feasible and useful. Some people will recover without treatment.
What should you do if you have hepatitis C are a carrier?
* Do not use alcohol, it increases the chances of getting liver damage
* Make sure you have no other people infected by blood to blood contact to prevent
* Consultation with the doctor about taking medicines, the liver can not do everything equally well tolerated.
What can you do to prevent infection?
* Infection with Hepatitis C occurs by contact with blood of another person with your blood. This can be counteracted by:
* No other use of razor blades
* If you use hard drugs, do not use materials from another
* Let piercings and tattoos put only in approved shops where clean and sterile working
* Medical treatment abroad insist that sterile working. Do you have any doubt, leave with your blood tests return to the Netherlands.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.