More about the famous Indians
- Ramana Maharshi- his spiritual search was focused on the question `who am?’ he pursued many spiritual practices and also mentioned silence for many years.
*Ramakrishna Paramahamsa – this Bengali saint was an ardent devotee of mother Kali. His famous disciple was swami Vivekananda.
- Sister Nivedita –her real name was Margaret Noble. Swami Vivekananda gave her this name which means the `dedicated one’. She was aghast at the plight of India under foreign (British) rule and worked very hard to inspire Indians to rise against the British.
- Dhirubai Ambani – born in a village in Gujarat, his is a rag –to riches story. He started a small company but soon expanded his business into many areas and made the reliance group into one of the biggest enterprises in the world.
G D Birla- this businessman from Pilani set up many industries and also built magnificent temples. He was a great philanthropist and a friend of Gandhi.
- Mrinal sen- he made films not only in Bengali but also in Hindi, Oriya and Telugu.
Two of his famous films are Bhuvan Shome and Akaler Sandhaney.
*Adoor Gopalakrishna- he produced many plays while in collage. He graduates from the FTII in Pune. Two of his famous films are Kodiyettan and Mukha Mukhan.
- Mario Miranda- this Goan cartoonist started drawing cartoons as a young child. He has drawn cartoons for several newspapers, magazines and other printed material.
*RK Laxman- this cartoonist has been drawing a daily cartoon for the times of India or more tan 40 years. His `common man’ is well known and the problems this character faces are also `commonly’ faced by people in India.
- Ritu Beri- a graduate from NIFT, she has designed clothes for high society, uniforms for hotel and office staff and for the Indian hockey team, and is the first Asian to do a line for a French fashion house.
*Abu Jani – working together with his partner, Abu Jani has sold his designs at the best fashion stores abroad. The clothes have also been worn by award winners at the Oscars.
- NR Narayana Murthy- this software engineer from Karnataka set up infosys, a software company which now one of the best companies in the world.
*Azim Premji- his company, wiper, was originally a Vanaspati manufacturing unit. He led into other areas like consumer goods and IT and is now one of the richest men in the world.
- Tatia Tope- a friend of Lakshmibai and loyal to the Maratha Peshwa, he did whatever he could to make the 1957 mutiny a success. However, luck was not on his side and soon he was a fugitive, without a place to hide. He was betrayed, arrested and hanged by the British.
*Ashfaqulla Khan- this Pathan patriot was associated in the Kakori Holdup case. He was betrayed by a friend, arrested and hanged by the British.
- Andal- a Tamil poet –saint, she refused to marry saying that it was Lord Ranganath who was her real husband. She wrote inspiring and beautiful poetry.
Meera Bai- she was devotee to Lord Krishna even as a young girl. Although married to a Rajputs prince, she had no interest in place life and spent er time composing poems to her Lord and worshiping Him.
- Amrita Pritam- this award winning Punjabi poet and writer published her first work at 16. Since hen she has written many stories, poems and novels.
*Thakaz Sivasankar Pillai- this Malayalam writer stores based on the lives of peasants and the have –nots. He was awarded the Janapeeth award. Two of his famous works are Chemeen and Kayar.
Like it on Facebook, +1 on Google, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.