! MS~WORD !
We all know that word is the most popular word processor on the market. And in personal life or in an office environment, writing of letters, documents or memos etc is an essential activity. Such writing involves drafting, checking spellings and grammatical errors, editing and revising the contents and final typing. The entire process is called word processing.
Naturally there are many software packages which make word processing an easy talk. Some of these are based on DOS environment. Word Star, word perfect and professional write are some DOS based word processing packages.
In MS-WORD, we can easily create document, edit a document and save the document. Editing a document means correcting the spelling and grammar mistakes if any, deleting or moving words, sentences or paragraphs.
! FEATURES OF MS~WORD !
There are following main features of MS-WORD.
1. Text is typed in to the computer and so changes can be made easily.
2. It is user-friendly, efficient and powerful package.
3. MS~WORD in windows document can be directly e-mailed through internet explorer.
4. Changing the size of the magazine automatically reformats complete document or part or text.
5. Font size and style of fonts can be easily changed. Page numbers and Header & Footer can be added.
6. Spellings can be checked and corrections made automatically in the entire document. Word count and other statistics can be generated.
7. Text can be formatted in column style as in a newspaper. Text books can also be created.
8. Tables can be made and included in the body of the text.
9. MS-WORD also offers the mail-merge facility.
10. Moreover word has the facilities of macros. Macros can be either attached to some function/special keys or to a toolbar or to a menu.
! ENTERING IN MS-WORD !
One can enter MS-WORD or start using it in following steps:-
1. First take the mouse pointer to START button on the taskbar, CLICK the left mouse. The Monitor will display the start menu.
2. Now move the pointer to PROGRAMS. Another menu will come up to right.
3. In this menu locate where MCROSOFT WORD is placed. Move the pointer horizontally to come out Of PROGRAMS.
4. Move I to the rectangular are meant for MICROSOFT WORD. Click the left mouse button on it. The computer will start MS-WORD.
5. The screen will display.
! COMPONENTS OF MS-WORD
OPENING SCREEN !
• Title Bar:- The title bar shows name of the currently active document. Like other windows applications, it can be used to alter the size and location of the word window.
• Tool Bar:- MS-WORD has a number of toolbars that help the user to do a task faster and with ease. Two of such most commonly toolbars are the Formatting Tool Bar and the Title Bar. Any toolbar, can be made ON or OFF through the toolbar option of view menu at any time.
• Ruler Bar:- the ruler bar allows formatting the vertical alignment of the text in a document.
• Status Bar:- The status Bar displays information about the currently active document. This includes current page number, column and line number of the cursor position and so on.
• Scroll Bar:- The Scroll Bar scrolls up or down the current or body of document. One can use the elevator button along the scroll bar or click on the buttons with the arrow marked on them to move up and down and left and right of a page.
• Work Space:- The Workspace is the area in the document window where the text of the document is being typed or entered.
• Menu bar:- It is a bar having the name of commands (also called menu ) such as File, Edit, View, Insert, Format etc. through which a program runs. It appears below the title bar.
! OPTIONS ON MAIN MENU BAR !
The Main Menu Bar of MS-Word consist of several functional options.
1. New:- MS-WORD file menu’s this option is used or create a new
2. Open:- It is used to open an existing file.
3. Close:- It is used to close a file.
4. Save:- It is used to save a file.
5. Save as:- It is used to make a duplicate copy or file of an existing file with different name.
6. Page setup:- It is used to set a margins, paper size and page layout of our document.
7. Print Preview:- It is used to see the preview of the document before printed it.
8. Print:- It is used to print the document.
9. Sent To:- It is used to send mail through MS-WORD.
! EDIT MENU !
With this option one can perform editing functions such a cut, copy, paste, find and replace etc.
1. Cut, Copy and Paste:- After we select the text, we can copy or cut and move that text to a different location. For Copy & paste we have to follow these sommands:-
• Select the text to be copied.
• Choose the Copy option from the Edit menu.
• Bring the cursor to the new location where the text has to appear.
• Choose the paste option from the Edit menu. The difference between Cut & Copy is that, in Cut the text is removed that position but in Copy text is not removed.
2. Undo & Redo:- Undo reverses the changes made in a document. Redo repeats the action performed earlier. Redo reverse the Undo command.
3. Find & Replace Text:- When searching through extremely long documents, word’s this facility come in handy. To find any text, character or word, we use this option, and through this Go to Tab option we can go on any bookmark, endnote, footnote etc. For Find & replace option we have to follow these commands.
• Click on Edit from the menu bar.
• Then Click on find, the dialog box will display.
• Type the text to be searched (i.e. India 0.
• Click on Find next.
• Click at replace tab option on the top left hand corner.
• Type the text, which will replace the text( i.e. Bharat).
• Click on Replace or Replace All, as per the requirement. Whatever, India appears in the text; it will be replaced by Bharat.
• Click on close to resume editing.
4. Paste Special:- Through this the data will replaced as a paste Special. Through copy and paste, excels worksheet can be paste in To Word document. But the changes will make in Excel Worksheets are not changing the data as well as in word. Therefore to overcome this problem, Paste Special is used.
! VIEW MENU: !
A word document can be of many pages. The different pages may have different modes. Each mode has its limitation. For example, in normal mode, A graphic picture can not be shown. It can only be displayed in the page layout mode. Therefore to change the view(mode) View option is used.
Header & Footer:- A Header contains text that appears at the top off our document pages. And footer contains text that appears at the bottom of our document pages. Word enables us to insert Header & Footer in our reports with ease. We can format and align text, add page numbers, insert the current date and time, show graphics, clip art with in the boundaries of the Header & Footer.
Symbol:- A symbol is a special character that does not appear on the standard keyboard. MS-WORD provides this facility to insert special symbol in text Menu options.
Footnotes & Endnotes:- Footnotes contains text that appears at the bottom of the page. And Endnotes are Footnotes that appears in the end of our documents.
Font:- We use Font to determine the good way of our characters look, from their size to their curliness to their elegance in the document.
Tab Setting:- MS-Word is also provides the facilities of Tab Setting to tab stop position alignment ( left, decimal, centre, bar, right) and leader. The leader is a character that MS-Word uses in a tab’s blank area.
Creating Multiple Columns on a Page:- when we want to create newspaper-style column such as those that appear in newsletter and brochures-configure MS-WORD to format out text with multiple columns. Through this we can assign multiple columns to the entire document or only a selected part of our-document.
Drop Caps:- As one can see MS-WORD has a lot Of options to design the text. In addition to ‘ALL Caps’ and ‘Small Caps’ option from the ‘Font’ dialog box, one can also use ‘Drop Caps’ to decorate the text.
Auto Correct:- Auto Correct is a MS-WORD features that corrects our documents are we type it. Word will automatically correct some types as we type them.
Insert Table:- Table is a special features of MS-WORD which helps in presentation of data and information in a tabular form. This is useful in a report along with text for better understanding of the data. For this select Table menu, Insert, Table MS-WORD displays the dialog box of Insert table. Then give the number of rows and number of column. Click Ok.
Formula Features:- Most of the times, tables are used to present numerical data. It may become necessary to carry out different mathematical operation.
MS-WORD formula feature provides the facility to calculate desired values and put them in paper class.
Mail merge:- mail merge is the process of copying select information from one document to another document. Many times one wants to send a letter to many persons at different addresses. The content is same for all. Sometimes the number of such persons, may be in thousands i.e. office circulass share-holders. Meeting notice etc. for this word’s mail merge facilities is used. It saves great amount of labors, time and money.
Data source:- this is an organized collection of information. All data sources contain records and files.
Main Document:- this is a file in which the contents of the document variable merge fields are fitted in. these merge fields come from the data source which is merged into main document.
(i) creating the main document:-
1. We click the new button on the toolbar to create a new document.
2. Choose tools and click mail merge. Mail merge helper dialog box is displayed.
3. Click the create button and then choose main document type i.e. form letters, envelopes.
4. When you select form letter. A message window is displayed.
5. In the dialog box, click the active window button, then new mail merge helper dialog appears.
(ii) Creating data sources:- we can either create a new data source or open the existing data source.
1. In mail merge helper dialog box click on ‘get data’.
2. Select create data source for new data source or open data source for existing one.
3. Clicking on create data source. Create data source provides us with a list of suggested field names.
4. We can remove the field which we don’t want to use by clicking once on the field name and then on remove field name.
5. To rearrange filed names, we click on the field name and click on the noise button to move it.
6. Click Ok. The save data source dialog box appears.
7. The write the name of the data source and click Ok.
8. After that a dialog box comes on the screen. To enter record, we click on edit data source. The data from dialog box appears.
9. This will have fields an specified in data source.
10. We return to the main document with the mail merge toolbar present on the screen.
(iii) Creating the merged Document:- Before merging we have data source on the main document. You would notice an additional Toolbar called the mail merge toolbar on your screen.
1. Place the cursor is the main document where you want the field to appear.
2. Click on insert merge field on the mail merge toolbar.
3. Select the field to be merged.
4. We repeat the above steps to insert rest fields.