Here is a link to a modern farmer who is working to save and grow indigenous and unusual vegetables and plant species.

Usha, I am sure you would love it and can also visit it some day as he is based in Bangalore!

http://www.thebetterindia.com/105374/dr-prabhakar-rao-bengaluru-endangered-seeds-hariyalee/

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Just read the link Article. The efforts of Dr. Rao are really commendable. Tha Nation needs more people like Dr. Rao.

What a fabulous article Kalyani, I will definitely try and visit Dr Prabhakar Rao's farm. What brilliance some people have, an architect and then to become a collector and grower of rare vegetable species! I was reading about another person, forget his name now , who has given up his civil service and concentrate s on farming and helping out farmers .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

The efforts of such people go a long way in preserving the diversity in nature for future generations. Really commendable.

Thank you said by: rambabu, Kalyani Nandurkar

Indeed. People like Dr. Rao work for the Society for which we all should pay him respects.

We always find one who stands to save our nature and natural species, as Dr. Rao is one of them. This called a real love towards flora.

People like Dr.rao are rare. These people are firm believers in Nature and the importance of Greenery . They are the people, who work for the Society to create awareness about the importance non - Chemical farming.

Hats off to such selfless people

rambabu wrote:

People like Dr.rao are rare. These people are firm believers in Nature and the importance of Greenery . They are the people, who work for the Society to create awareness about the importance non - Chemical farming.

Hats off to such selfless people

Thinking and choice of path particular walks make them rare and genius, Dr.Rao is exactly that man.

Thank you said by: rambabu

Yes. Dr. Rao has chosen voluntarily, to create awareness in the people the difference between chemical ridden conventional farming and Organic farming, which is free from syntheticfertilizers .

usha manohar wrote:

What a fabulous article Kalyani, I will definitely try and visit Dr Prabhakar Rao's farm. What brilliance some people have, an architect and then to become a collector and grower of rare vegetable species! I was reading about another person, forget his name now , who has given up his civil service and concentrate s on farming and helping out farmers .

Do visit when you can and share your experience with us. There are more and more people who are giving up lucrative jobs in IT and corporate sectors and settling in the countryside to do organic farming. Even in and around Pune, there are quite a few of them  who have started organic farming and eco- homestays in the similar manner.

vijay wrote:

The efforts of such people go a long way in preserving the diversity in nature for future generations. Really commendable.

Very true. Also, what is needed now is more such efforts from people like Dr. Rao to preserved indigenous Indian species of various vegetables that are now becoming extinct due to over use of hybrid varieties. Indigenous species are better over hybrid varieties in terms of nutritive values as they are what we are accustomed to eating.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.