Hi All,

Recently, there was a change in our discussions with so many new members get into forums and they do not know earlier culture we do have here at forums. A lot of daily news are floating like tsunami on our forums, and it looks like a daily news paper than a discussion forum.

Many members are unable to cache the floating discussions which are ended up unanswered or 1-2 answers. The sad part is people leaving the forums and concentrating on other parts of the site. That made us to rethink about our strategy of allowing news items.

From here onwards, please follow few guidelines:

1. No news items on forums unless they are most important and need discussion here.

2. No more link backs to other websites, if found posting such news links on forums continuously, your account will be blocked without any notice.

3. No more one liner statements like I agree, I like it, Yes, I too agree, Good post, great post, nice topic etc which are not at all useful to anyone. If you would like appreciate someone, use Thank You button below the post.

Hope you all understand and bring back the energy on forums.

When opportunity is in front of you, don't hesitate to catch it. It will never come to you again. - Maverick

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Very good move from Boddunan to bring its old culture back.
I also felt same. Most of the members are throwing the news items from online newspapers. Many news are having 0 replies. It shows that members are not interested in those news. We should give more importance to the discussion as Maverick rightly said it is discussion forum. But unfortunately it seems more as news forum.

I hope our honorable members will pay attention to it and do accordingly. It will benefit to all.

Software Engineers never die...They just go offline.

http://jokesthegreat.blogspot.com
Really a good movement from Boddunan.I think what the users understood from the news can be discussed in detail if it is so hot.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
I am extremely extremely happy that you decided to take this step. Honestly, this was going to be my next suggestion to improve reader experience. Many people just start forums for the heck of awards and points and most of them are worthless and redundant.

I am sure this step will make the forums more useful and informative. Also, important threads will not get lost in the plethora of unwanted and useless threads.

I whole-heartedly agree with this suggestion and Kudos to Maverick for implementing it.
@Maverick

You have exactly articulated my feelings on this subject.In fact if any news item which is topical at the moment is no other than event in Japan the mention of which is almost tangential in the forum. And the fact remains had it been properly brought up,discussed and analysed the site would have attracted lots of visitors.It's just not 'quake or tsunami but the its ramifications on the whole issue of nuclear energy as source,its future,its human cost and a host of other issues emanating from it.Sadly no serious attempts have been made so far.The keywords for google search at the moment are Japan,Radiation,Fukushima etc according to my own study which can be very creatively exploited to attract traffic.Finally I thank you for stepping in and posting this!
Also with this new implementation those news which are outdated is also to be locked by site admins.

Visit my blogs:

It is certainly a great step towards quality .I really appreiciate the 2nd & 3rd points.But apprehensive about the first one beacuse when you have things like "Announcements","General discussions","Current affiars & news" & even "Jokes & humor" ,It would be better if you are more specific on what can be temed as "Important".
Subhasis,
Importance of a news is its relation to common people.For example a change of minister in Cyprus may not affect us by any way.So it has no importance in our view.

Visit my blogs:

Thank you said by: Subhasis Pattanaik
A real good move from boddunan as interesting threads were getting unnoticed and we had to search for good topics...
Subhasis,
Importance of a news is its relation to common people.For example a change of minister in Cyprus may not affect us by any way.So it has no importance in our view.

Subhais has a point. The categories 'Current affairs', 'daily dose' and 'General discussions' are mainly news based. As regards importance of a topic, this is subjective and members may differ about relative importance.

There can be no strict guidelines and members need to exercise their own discretion. The news are already in newspapers and there is no purpose in incorporating these verbatim in forums. The forums are for discussion. I hope that all will abide by the guidelines given.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Abid, Gulashan, both of you stated it correctly, thank you. The importance is in view of our discussion not in view of the news, (a news is nothing but an important one for many so which is not I meant).

If you feel a news item or some topic that needs serious discussion, that should be followed by you. If you just quote the news item headline and the link back, nobody would be interested in reading or discussing it. If you feel it is important, you will drive the discussion with valid points and you will take it to the healthy discussion. Thats all what I meant.

@Abid, all old topic older than 1 year will be archived soon(except the sticky topics.)

When opportunity is in front of you, don't hesitate to catch it. It will never come to you again. - Maverick

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.