The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
The manufacturing industry forms the backbone of the country that is it also supports the service industry. To fuel the growth of the economy it is necessary to strengthen both the sectors.
The service sector has been one of the fastest growing in the world and is presently booming. The manufacturing industry in India is labor intensive and thus provides major employment to the less educated. Though its contribution to the GDP has been comparatively lesser as compared to the service sector. So a planned growth for the manufacturing sector is necessary while sustaining the development of the service sector.

Live in the present :)
Hello friends, back with a new topic:

The topic for this week's discussion is:

What should be given more importance in order to make India grow economically, Service Industry or Manufacturing Industry??? Here service industry refers to jobs such as IT, IT-enabled BPO, KPO etc. jobs, Hotel industry etc.
If we were to have a kind of economy that would be able to sustain itself and provide jobs to large number of population, what should be it, Service or Manufacturing??

All the best! :)

Let me first Thank Kalyani to search such a lovely topic for discussion. Among all the topics discussed till now, I liked this one most :)

I think both are necessary.
Will a day be complete without day time and night time? Also, both are human needs. Let us give equal stress to both. :)

When literate people search white collar jobs in BPO and Banking industry, illiterate people may look job in industries. A society is a combination of both.
Manufacturing industry requires some paper work too, which is done by computerised sector. Also, Service industry give help to manufacturing industry too...best example is giving financial support. Actually, it's a give and take policy and both the sectors can't stay alone without the support of other. isn't it?

Meera sandhu
Let me reiterate that service sector is mainly for support to the manufacturing and trading units. Service sector has no existence of its own without manufacturing units. Transport, BPO, communication etc only support the manufacturing units and also use inputs from manufacturing units. Being an overhead to national economy, service sector should be small. Services should be more exported than used for internal purpose.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Let me reiterate that service sector is mainly for support to the manufacturing and trading units. Service sector has no existence of its own without manufacturing units. Transport, BPO, communication etc only support the manufacturing units and also use inputs from manufacturing units. Being an overhead to national economy, service sector should be small. Services should be more exported than used for internal purpose.

Yes I agree.
If a nation has to grow, it must be able to provide food to all.......and all the other primary needs. So, first preference is for manufacturing industry. Yet, if we have to connect with the whole world, we need some services too...
So it can be told that manufacturing industry forms the bone and structure while services are 'flesh' added to complete it

Meera sandhu
@sandhya- You mean we were not doing any productive output a couple of decades back when there was no computer. I have done my Mechanical engineering without even touching a keyboard of a computer. We have big plants started by Tatas and Birlas when there were no computers anywhere in sight. What I feel that computer is only good up to certain extent for a country like ours where there are more hands and lesser jobs.
Why make them even lesser by inducting computers in place of men who need those jobs so eagerly? However, the production of consumables and utility products is must for any county; service industry at best can be described as allied industry. I wish people knew the importance of white color jobs in production sector. Production units are not about illiterate, unskilled labors only but highly skilled workforce including, people from accounts, technical research, and whatever science can offer.
Do you know Tata is better known in the world for Tata motors, Titan, Tata steels etc than TCS. Even Azeem Premji knows the value of production therefore runs different consumer products manufacturing units apart from Wipro.
Can you imagine your life without Voltas a Tata's company, Bajaj, Maruti, Godrej, Cera, JP group, DCM, Bhilai steel and so on? BPO is all right but not considered a white colored job with any angle.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

@sandhya- You mean we were not doing any productive output a couple of decades back when there was no computer. I have done my Mechanical engineering without even touching a keyboard of a computer. We have big plants started by Tatas and Birlas when there were no computers anywhere in sight. What I feel that computer is only good up to certain extent for a country like ours where there are more hands and lesser jobs.
Why make them even lesser by inducting computers in place of men who need those jobs so eagerly? However, the production of consumables and utility products is must for any county; service industry at best can be described as allied industry. I wish people knew the importance of white color jobs in production sector. Production units are not about illiterate, unskilled labors only but highly skilled workforce including, people from accounts, technical research, and whatever science can offer.
Do you know Tata is better known in the world for Tata motors, Titan, Tata steels etc than TCF. Even Azeem Premji knows the value of production therefore runs different consumer products manufacturing units apart from Wipro.
Can you imagine your life without Voltas a Tata's company, Bajaj, Maruti, Godrej, Cera, JP group, DCM, Bhilai steel and so on? BPO is all right but not considered a white colored job with any angle.

I agree in toto. Manufacturing industry is main. Service sector is in fact a support to industry only. There is no doubt that manufacturing has always been there. The only difference is of scale, technology and business promotion methods. In the beginning of human civilization, shoes were manufactured in cottage industry without heavy machines and sold in village only mostly on barter system. There was no need for advertisement and transport. BPO, computer have only facilitated the manufacture and improved.

We need to strengthen manufacturing and use less service sector. It is better to rather export the srvices.

Do you know Tata is better known in the world for Tata motors, Titan, Tata steels etc than TCF. Even Azeem Premji knows the value of production therefore runs different consumer products manufacturing units apart from Wipro.

But for the past 10-15 years, technology has changed a lot. Now even an LKG student is learning Ms-paint at school.
Earlier, population was also only half (if we take the statistics of 20 years).
Earlier it was possible. But now human needs and calculations have increased enormously and manual claculations alone cannot meet all challenges. ......as it's told...when we are in Rome, do as Romans do. So we also need to accept latest technologies including services to cope up with new situations and other nations.

Meera sandhu

But for the past 10-15 years, technology has changed a lot. Now even an LKG student is learning Ms-paint at school.
Earlier it was possible. But now human needs and calculations have increased enormously and manual claculations alone cannot meet all challenges. ......as it's told...when we are in Rome, do as Romans do. So we also need to accept latest technologies including services to cope up with new situations and other nations.

Now technology has improved manufacturing methods, designs and accountancy. Computer is also indispensable in today's world. But the fact remains that service sector including computer and information technology is support to manufacture. Without manufacturing industry, service sector is meaningless. Incidentally, the computers and other gadgets are also products of manufacturing units.

Now technology has improved manufacturing methods, designs and accountancy. Computer is also indispensable in today's world. But the fact remains that service sector including computer and information technology is support to manufacture. Without manufacturing industry, service sector is meaningless. Incidentally, the computers and other gadgets are also products of manufacturing units.

yes, I also agree Computers should support manufacturing industry more than services........Then only we will be able to meet our primary needs without much manual work than before.
I think BPOs should be given last preference comparing to banking and other IT related services. isn't it?

Meera sandhu

Only a total ignorant would deny the importance of computers today but my point is that we need more solid products to sell in the market because mere computer training or BPO is not going to feed 1.4 billion people of this country. By the way, even computers are part of the manufacturing sector and manufactured by skilled workforce. Even the software/ICs that runs a computer is product of hardware engineering, another manufacturing example.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.