The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
You cannot blame them alone. Each and every one is responsible for that. For example: If any of our relatives has been admitted in an emergency ward in an hospital and we cannot go and see them after visiting hours however we give some money to the security guard or buy him some stuffs and we go and visit them.This is also corruption.

We speak only in higher level however we forget that corruption starts from the lower level and reaches a higher state. What i meant is giving some tips to a waiter or a server is also a corruption activity.

http://myblogdeivigan.blogspot.com/
http://placementandinformations.blogspot.com/
Pradeep Kumar Nanda wrote[quote]Even police are corrupted, infact they are one of the most corrupted people in our country.Police are nothing but terrorist covered with legal weapon to conduct crime freely without any fear.Corruption is like a spider's web, where everybody is interlinked with one another. One has to kill the spider(corruption) to stop it from spreading. The question is how?[/quote]

We have to go to the very roots of why the police are corrupted!! There is a glaring gap between the kind of work the cops are expected to do and the compensation that they are given for it! These people are on toes during their entire career span, the pressure increases during the numerous festivals and special events. During Ganpati festivals, the cops in Maharashtra barely even manage to go hole to eat a decent meal or sleep for even four hours for 10 days! They have no time to spend with their families, to take of their ailing children, parents or spouses, to share in the happy moments of the family. In return, what do they get? Measly sums of money which are mere peanuts in face of increasing expenses. Their children do not get to go to good schools or get any proper toys or clothes.

So I really do not blame the cops if they resort to taking bribes! We make a huge issue about it but we keep our mouths shut and pay whopping amounts of bribes when we want to get our personal work done in many government office or sumply to avoid paying double the amount on taxes or service charges.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

[quote]It is not right to say that the country is running due to the negligible number of honest. In spite of corruption, we have advanced in all fields. In fact, the corrupt work more and day and night whereas the dead honest are satisfied with small salary and will not work more. Corruption has the merit of speeding up the administrative machinery. This does not harm all. If all were harmed, corruption would have ended long ago. Corruption favors the rich who afford bribe and harms the poor and principled. One who can and is ready to bribe always gets done what he wants. Food and drug adulteration play with health of people and need be dealt with first.

It is the poor and the few honest who suffer most. It is they who should struggle and launch strong movement against corruption. [/quote]

The kind of corruption that you have mentioned Gulshan, I think, has arisen from lack of responsibility and accountability. Otherwise, we did not need to pay bribes to keep the administrative machinery running smoothly.
I want quote here the example of Japan, compared to India, a very tiny country. Japan was completely devastated in the World War II as a result of the bombings on Nagasaki and Hiroshima which happened in 1945. But the entire Japanese population, instead being beaten back and defeated, stood up as one and resolved to rise out of its ashes like a Phoenix. And they did! The Japanese worked day and night, slogged and slogged, and within no time built up their nation from scratch, and today is an extremely powerful economically and technologically advanced country which no one can afford to neglect or ignore. Is there corruption involved? In small extents, there may be! But the magnitude of corruptions that are seen everywhere in India, such type of incidents are missing in Japan!

What could be the reason then that we are unable to throw off the vices of corruption in India?? The only main reason that comes to my mind is the inability or unwillingness to slog for honest money! We want to earn a quick buck and fast! Unless this mentality is changed and we will ourselves to really work for money, then only can we see some changes!

Kalyani wrotes:

[quote]We have to go to the very roots of why the police are corrupted!! There is a glaring gap between the kind of work the cops are expected to do and the compensation that they are given for it! These people are on toes during their entire career span, the pressure increases during the numerous festivals and special events. During Ganpati festivals, the cops in Maharashtra barely even manage to go hole to eat a decent meal or sleep for even four hours for 10 days! They have no time to spend with their families, to take of their ailing children, parents or spouses, to share in the happy moments of the family. In return, what do they get? Measly sums of money which are mere peanuts in face of increasing expenses. Their children do not get to go to good schools or get any proper toys or clothes. [/quote]

[quote]So I really do not blame the cops if they resort to taking bribes! We make a huge issue about it but we keep our mouths shut and pay whopping amounts of bribes when we want to get our personal work done in many government office or sumply to avoid paying double the amount on taxes or service charges.
[/quote]
There are other people who are working in same stress at similar salary even less then what police people are getting. That doesn't mean that they should go on for taking bribes to meet their livelihood.
[quote]
There are other people who are working in same stress at similar salary even less then what police people are getting. That doesn't mean that they should go on for taking bribes to meet their livelihood.[/quote]

Pradeem that was a symbolic example that I have used to elaborate my point of view. But undeniably, even though there may be similar people working in similarly meagre salaries, their lives are not in limbo as the policemen's are!

@ Kalyani

You justifed the fact that policemen taking bribe is correct because of the meagre salary they are getting; that's the foundation of corruption, which should not be encouraged at any cost.
[quote]@ Kalyani

You justifed the fact that policemen taking bribe is correct because of the meagre salary they are getting; that's the foundation of corruption, which should not be encouraged at any cost.[/quote]

Pradeep, perhaps I didn't make it quite clear! I am not justifying that the taking of bribes by police is CORRECT, but it is the REASON for them resorting to taking bribes, at least on the lower levels it is so! Also, we always talk of not encouraging corruption, but in our daily lives we are the ones that encourage corruption on all walks of our lives.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
[quote][quote]It is not right to say that the country is running due to the negligible number of honest. In spite of corruption, we have advanced in all fields. In fact, the corrupt work more and day and night whereas the dead honest are satisfied with small salary and will not work more. Corruption has the merit of speeding up the administrative machinery. This does not harm all. If all were harmed, corruption would have ended long ago. Corruption favors the rich who afford bribe and harms the poor and principled. One who can and is ready to bribe always gets done what he wants. Food and drug adulteration play with health of people and need be dealt with first.

It is the poor and the few honest who suffer most. It is they who should struggle and launch strong movement against corruption. [/quote]

The kind of corruption that you have mentioned Gulshan, I think, has arisen from lack of responsibility and accountability. Otherwise, we did not need to pay bribes to keep the administrative machinery running smoothly.
I want quote here the example of Japan, compared to India, a very tiny country. Japan was completely devastated in the World War II as a result of the bombings on Nagasaki and Hiroshima which happened in 1945. But the entire Japanese population, instead being beaten back and defeated, stood up as one and resolved to rise out of its ashes like a Phoenix. And they did! The Japanese worked day and night, slogged and slogged, and within no time built up their nation from scratch, and today is an extremely powerful economically and technologically advanced country which no one can afford to neglect or ignore. Is there corruption involved? In small extents, there may be! But the magnitude of corruptions that are seen everywhere in India, such type of incidents are missing in Japan!

What could be the reason then that we are unable to throw off the vices of corruption in India?? The only main reason that comes to my mind is the inability or unwillingness to slog for honest money! We want to earn a quick buck and fast! Unless this mentality is changed and we will ourselves to really work for money, then only can we see some changes![/quote]

The cause of corruption is that our people are individualist and family oriented as contrasted to Japanese, who are national minded. Corruption is a disease and we need to diagonalize it properly. We cannot fight the disease at one go. So, we need to look for the type that is most dangerous. It goes without saying that adulteration of food and drugs is most dangerous and this need be tackled first.

Generally, the people are not very corrupt and also not dead honest. They simply follow the routine of corruption. Mostly, the govt employees do not receive bribe for doing any wrong. They just receive the bribe for speedily doing the job. Not the employees but the general public take initiative to pay the so called speed money. There are also unscrupulous persons who will even do the wrong for getting extra income. This is more serious. Howsoever bad corruption is, this is just transfer of funds, makes services costly and babus richer. The giver and taker of bribe both gain and so all are happy. The relatively poor are the most victimized.

Hence the question- who and how will fight corruption. Adulteration of drugs and food, substandard construction of building etc. harm all and must be tackled first. Embezzlement of cash and defrauding the exchequer like the 2G scam etc are also most heinous and must be fought with full might. But the cases of speed money for petty jobs are less important and giving more importance to these will indirectly benefit the big sharks.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I accept to kalayani's point of view that police are drove to get bribe and spending some small amount of time with the family.Some people to get into the police department itself give a huge sum of bribe? Am i right?

http://myblogdeivigan.blogspot.com/
http://placementandinformations.blogspot.com/
Gulshan, you are right! As people we are more family oriented and individualist unlike Japanese! Our nationalism awakes only in the wake of 15th August and 26th January and during cricket matches with Pakistan. On other days, we are only busy making lives better for ourselves and our family! BUt in the process we completely forget that these individual units called family make up the society and the nation and our lives are greatly influenced and even compromised because of our shortsightedness or unwillingness to see and understand the greater cause.

Also, the roots also go a long way! After we gained independence in 1947, corruption was so rampant in the congress even then that Gandhiji is known to have advised Pandit Nehru to dissolve the party then and there. But he ignored it!

Pradeep, you are right although it is not only the police but even in zilla parishad run schools, if you want to get a job as a teacher you need to pay lakhs of rupees as bribe. Obviously, such breed of teachers cannot be expected to inculcate the values of honesty and integrity among young children!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.