The topic is locked.
Hello All,

Back with the new topic for GD Contest this week! Since its Valentines Day today, I think the best topic that can be discussed forever without getting bored is Love!

Is a special day like Valentine's Day really necessary to show that you love someone? Is it really in line with our culture and philosophy??

Also, a request to all participants - Please keep away political issues - Shriram Sena, Shiv Sena, Bajrang Dal etc. etc. out of this discussion. I want you all to think about issues, pros and cons of the topic OTHER THAN politics.

As usual, the winner gets 50 points plus 50 Rupees, Runner-up gets 50 points plus 25 rupees and all participants with minimum 3 valid replies get 50 points. All answers must be relevant, related to the topic and spam free
dozen_roses.gif (You do not have access to download this file.)

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I personally don't believe in love, a bit awkward to here for others, but as far as the topic is concerned :
There is no need to celebrate your love at a particular day of the year.If someone loves the others truly then he or she will love him or her everyday and rest of the life.Those who are truly in love are always in a celebration mood, they don't require any special day to show off their love to everybody.
This is a culture invaded from western cultures and those who pirated this culture are some big greeting card companies and chocolate companies, so that there business will flourish.So, to run their business they introduce different special days through out the years.
The valentine's Day is purely business and nothing else.
In our culture, specially in West Bengal love begins in the month of February on the auspicious day of Saraswati Puja, which starts before Valentine's Day and ends on Durga Puja in the month of October. This is an informal culture which we Indian follow on love but in general there is no special day to start your love or celebrate your love.
I am not against of adapting western culture, but this kind of culture is mean't only to increase businesses of certain category of people.
As an individual i am totally against celebrating valentine's day. There is no special day required for celebration of Love. India is a country which is known for its tradition. It has its own ethical value. Why we need to import the western culture which is no way helpful. Do we have any such days like "Poor people day" on which every one should contribute food to a maximum of 100 people?. Think of the people who struggle a lot to have a handful of meal. For a country like India where most of the people are below poverty line, such a celebration is not needed. Instead of spending so much on the eve of valentine's day lend the money to some organizations helping the poor.
I agree that love is a constant feeling and not linked to a particular day. However this is true also about other things. We need money all the year and yet celebrate Deepawali, festival of Laxmi (Goddess of wealth) worship. Women always love their husbands and wish them well but yet they celebrate Karwa Chouth. We value labor but still celebrate May day and Vishwa karma day.

Accordingly, it is okay to devote one day to celebrate as lovers' day. We also pay our homage to Saint Valentine, who was martyred at the alter of love. He performed wedding of may young couples secretly and he was punished with death. It is very apt to celebrate Valentine day as day of love.

In today's world, which is global village, the entire humanity is coming closer. There is no sense in declaring anything as foreign. We do what suits us and discard what is harmful irrespective of source. We have adopted many foreign customs, rituals, dress, products etc. Others also benefit from us. What is good is worth adopting and what is bad is worth discarding. Love is a great feeling and it is okay to celebrate in any form- Indian, Western or Chinese or whatever.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

nagalakshmi.karunanidhi wrote:
[quote]As an individual i am totally against celebrating valentine's day. There is no special day required for celebration of Love. India is a country which is known for its tradition. It has its own ethical value. Why we need to import the western culture which is no way helpful. Do we have any such days like "Poor people day" on which every one should contribute food to a maximum of 100 people?. Think of the people who struggle a lot to have a handful of meal. For a country like India where most of the people are below poverty line, such a celebration is not needed. Instead of spending so much on the eve of valentine's day lend the money to some organizations helping the poor.[/quote]

I welcome the idea of 'poor people day'. It is good to think of the poor. But the best way is to employ them and not go for charity. Valentine day gives opportunity of employment to many- card and stationery, flower sellers, advertisers etc. When rich celebrate, transfer of cash from them to poor does take place. The best thing is to encourage poor to work and help them in getting work. Charity is definitely not a good idea.

Why single out Valentine day for costly celebrations. Deepawali is celebration of corrupt businessmen and bureaucrats. All festivals are costly. It is advisable that we should avoid wasteful expenses on all occasions- marriages, funerals, Depawali, Kawa choth and also valentine day. However, Valentine day celebrations are not as costly as Deepawali and no costly gifts are exchanged between bureaucrats and businessmen. In a way, Deepawali is like Valentine Day to bureaucrats and businessmen.

Moderator has asked for not touching certain organizations of political nature in this GD. I shall follow this. However, this is like reading Ramayana without mentioning Ravana.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I personally think its much nicer to have a spontaneous gesture from your loved one at no particular time of the year as most guys just feel pressured on valentines! I guess im lucky in that my guy is pretty romantic most of the time, otherwise I might have a different view!
I don't feel like encouraging people who kiss and embrace in public places not only on valentines day but on all days. Will we accept our own sisters and brothers displaying public affection in public?. We cannot do so. It is because of the respect we have towards our culture and tradition. Also, I do agree with gulshan that instead of promoting charity we can help them get a work or job.
Love is the most beautiful thing in this world. Those who are lucky enough gets their true love. Those people doesn't need to celebrate their love in public.

I agree with other members comments we celebrate other special days like Deepawali, Durga puja etc, where lots of money are spent.Likewise, we should celebrate this valentine day as any other special day forgetting from where it has come.
I disagree, as with other festivals which we celebrate like Deepawali, Laxmi Puja etc, we learn good things,but during the Valentine's day we learn many bad things which are culture of the western tradition but not accepted according to the Indian culture.
The Valentine's Day is generally celebrated by teen age generations.They don't know the true meaning of the this day, rather they take it in wrong way.

Instead of celebrating love in this Valentine Day, they think that this is the day to do anything infront of public in the name of love.There is always a tendency to accept bad things very quickly then to learn good things from this Valentine Day.

Again, the hype created by the media about Valentine Day makes the thing worse. This special day is destroying our culture.
Yes, this day we are helping poor people indirectly but at what cost.We are helping poor at the cost of our rich culture.
Why do we require a special day to express our feelings to someone? Its not only Valentine day;think about all the other events that are not needed.

For example: Mother's day,Father's day, Friendship day.Not only that now we has a Boss' day as well.

Our culture in all its richness is famous around the world because of its values like hospitality,humbleness,simplicity.Forgetting to preserve our versatile culture;we are imbibing things that are of no core meaning.

We are in no way in sync with the culture that is very own.

No one can deny that these days are well planned and publicized events for business and nothing else. We love to learn the ways of the west very soon.We neither know the concept or the history behind the celebrations of these days yet we are ready to shell out our earnings to mark the occasion.

Leo

deleted - spam post
deleted - spam post
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.