The topic is locked.
Hello friends,

I am back with a new topic for the group discussion this week!

In the event of the recent Census having taken place and the alarming rate of population growth in India, Do you think that India too should adopt the one-child policy similar to China? Will it work in controlling the population growth in India?

The replies must be either in favor of or opposing the argument. Spam or merely copying and pasting others's replies or material copied word-to-word from other sources will result in disqualification.

As usual the winner will get Rs 50 plus 50 points and the Runner-up will get Rs 25 plus 50 points. All those who post at least three valid replies will get 50 points as bonus.

All the Best to everyone!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Hai Friends,

The topic of GD is most recent and that to be discussed in deep.Let me to share my views.

The one child policy is not admissible in my sense.First of all look to the current family and the family just one generation ahead.The so called nuclear family was a result of our continuous campaign against population explosion.Surely the rate of population came to control but we still increased.

What was the consequence in family life?Only two children.They went for their jobs or with their family.They have no time to look after their aged parents.So parents were put in old age homes or charity homes.Now the parents are crying not having some children to look them in their old age.

This was not the case of one generation ahead.There were a lot of members in the family.Some one will have time to look their parents and till their death they would have the shadow of any one of their children.

So if India is going to the one child policy, the social conditions will become more terrible.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
Hello all,

Why there is no response from any one ?

Also I oppose the decision of one child because the loss of that one and only one child will psychologically demolish his/her parents if it happens.Also for all thing these parents would have to depend this one and only one child if he cares them.This will be a burden to all.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
We have to look more from national perspective than personal. Large family is an old tradition. This was okay when population was low. The overall land area continues to be same, rather reduced after partition. Increasing population needs more land space for food growth, housing, education institutes, hospitals, rails and roads, vehicles, factories and so on. But there is no way to get more land. The land crisis has been acutely felt in places like Singur in West Bengal. In Uttar Pradesh, there is tension among peasants regarding take over of land for road construction.

We need not only to check population but to reduce it. Adopting one child norm at least for next fifty years is strongly felt. The current policy of 'we two our two' only maintains population at current level. We need policy of 'we two our one' for reducing population and bringing this to manageable level consistent with our land availability. The density of population in terms of people per Sq. Kilo Meter needs be fixed and ultimately attained. This is necessary to avoid facing the crisis that Malthus had predicted long ago.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Wow, what a topic to discuss. Kudos to Kalyani for coming up with this topic. You persuaded me to participate (a rare thing)

Personally speaking India should adopt the one child policy. I say this because our population is growing at an alarming rate and it has made the problems of food, clothing, shelter, education and jobs worse. The vicious circle of poverty is increasing with the increasing population.

It is high time that we do something and everything we can about it. Though one child policy would only be one step towards it but I guess every step would help. Also, awareness should be created among people about the dangers of over-population and how the consequences of it would be faced by their child in the end when he/she will get no proper food clothing and shelter. The quality of everything will be degraded.

And as far as Abid's point is concerned, I agree to his comment to an extent and he is right that it will have an impact on our social setting. But I have a solution for it too.

The government should implement one child policy and if anyone desiring to have more than one child, they can do so by adoption. This way not only would we be making a life on one homeless child but also the social setting will remain the same. And technically. there won't be any increase in population as around 10% of Indian parents abandon their child right after birth, so currently there are around 12 crore children waiting for a new home.
India is now second to China in population and if it grows at such an alarming rate then there will be hardly any space left for us in the future in terms of economy, food and shelter, growth and development. According to a recent survey it has been found that the Indian population will topple or exceed China's population in the near future. Besides, a vast population means less employment opportunities, more feeding mouths, more corruption and crime and increase in the cost of living. Further a huge population means increase in the cost of living, congestion, living in the slum areas and leaving below the poverty line.

Keeping the above facts in mind I think it is the need of the hour for our Government to make it mandatory for us to follow the one child policy. Let us go on with the motto Prevention is better than cure...
All of China's people need clean water, food, housing, education, job opportunities, health care, goods, and services. Without the "One Child Policy", how would that be possible?

Resources are limited, so population must be limited. Uncontrolled population growth will only result in poverty, misery, and death.

THANKS! THIS REALLY HELPED A LOT! Share with World now

http://share-ask.com/category/peoples-articles-news-now/
Bangladesh and the Philippinesconditions when population growth is unrestrained. Both of those nations are economic and social disasters because they do not have adequate resources to support their enormous populations. The Philippines has 90 million people jammed into an area the size of Arizona. Bangladesh has 150 million people crushed into a similarly small area.

Climate change and pollution are the result of over-population. War and poverty are the social outcomes of competition for limited resources.

There appears general consensus on one child norm. There appear some issues associated with this concept. In absence of siblings, the child may feel lonely with no one to play with. In unfortunate event of death of a child, parents will be issueless. Traditionally, many consider themselves stronger with large family.

However, one child norm will make the children more social. 'Vasudhev Kutumukum' or 'whole world is a family' is our age old concept. Inabsence of siblings, the children will be more social and play and interact with other children outside the family. This will make them more social and community spirit will develop. Ultimately, one child norm will benefit family and nation.

The one child policy has the following features in china :

* The policy only applies to registered urban families. Rural families and protected minorities (Tibetans, Uyghurs, and others) may have more than 1 child.

* Couples may have 1 child every 10 years. Couples having more than 1 child within a 10 year period are subject to social disincentives.

* Multiple births (twins, triplets, etc) are exempt from the policy.

* Parents whose first child is physically handicapped, mentally handicapped, or dies may have a second child.

* Waivers of the policy are selectively granted for hardship cases, such as adoption of a deceased relative's orphan.

so india should work on it

As suggested by Sumit, India may benefit by the Chinese experience. But if we exempt the villages and certain regions as in China, the one child norm will not succeed in India. Unlike China, we are more affected by local level caste and sectarian politics. Too many exceptions to the norm will enable many groups to seek exemption from the policy on various pretexts. Unlike china, vote bank politics will frustrate the object of family planning. The norm should be strictly followed. An exception could be made in regions that are thinly populated. We have reguions like Ladakh, Arumachal Pradesh, that are thinly populated. An exception may be made there. The norm has to be strictly fiollwed in more densely populated area.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.