The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Though I am in favor of one child policy, I dont think we should really look too much in the chinese model. There are a lot of cultural and social difference in both the cultures and government.

The chinese follow a communist form of government and the government decision is binding on all whether they like it or not. People also don't protest much against the decision of the government.

But that is not the case in India, we follow a democratic model and people have the right to say or appeal against anything they don't like. This one child rule is certainly going to irk many and there would be many protest and hunger strikes. So this should be dealt and implemented tactfully in India.

@Gulshan - I would beg to differ on your views. I don't think any state should be given an exception. Many people would be abusing the law then. Like, if a couple wants to have more than 1 baby they will go to arunachal pradesh or any other thinly populated states you mention and give birth to baby there and then come back to their hometown. We should all remember that constitution has given us the right to move or settle or migrate in any part of the country.

One solution to this could be, that government develop those thinly populated areas industrially. This would create more employment opportunities and we would see many people shifting to these thinly populated state permanently.

To implement one child policy, we should not look at any other culture but rather study our own culture thoroughly and come up with ingenious methods to implement it with active participation and co-operation from all the section of the society.
The one child policy accepted and implemented in China has not proven to be a boon for them.The Chinese themselves have been opposing the policy for the fact that there are huge problems created for present and future generations.

Firstly,the fertility rate of women dropped as the policy progressed,other health issues like depression and hormonal problems have come to light as well.

Secondly as correctly mentioned by the Gulshan in the GD that the impact on child psyche is not positive ( for lack of siblings).

Thirdly there is a problem that they face which they call as 4-2-1.Which means that one child when grows has to support two parents and two grandparents making him support four people in return,increasing financial responsibility and burden.

The people feel that population control can be done by alternative means.Not only because of this has infanticide increased,Old home houses,adoption and orphanage houses have found an increase in their services as kids are abandoned because of the law.

In light of a policy that has its futuristic and irreversible ills,our country should not follow the same footsteps.Population can be controlled by increasing literacy,employment options as well as strict law measures for child planning,but just limiting it to one kid per family, not so wise I say.

Leo

The views expressed by Arun Jain are very correct. China differs from India in many respects. They can get the decisions implemented easily. In India, we cannot get anything done because of democratic system. Here I may state that China is more democratic. Although there is one party system, the policies are discussed from lover level to top level and ultimately decision is taken centrally duly considering the public opinion. This is called 'democratic centralism'. On the other hand, our people do not participate in discussions at any level and they only give vote once in five years on basis of caste, religion, region, personality cult etc. In China, there is no dynastic rule system unlike India. We have more anarchy than democracy.

I suggested that thinly populated states like Arunachal be given exception. It is not likely that anyone would settle in Arunachal Pradesh only for giving birth to more than one child. The areas like Ladakh and Arunachal Pradesh are not such that inhabitants of Delhi or Mumbai may easily live there. Moreover, if you go to such far off place for some time, you will stay in hotels or rest rooms or some accommodation that cannot be considered as your permanent address. I am for exception only in Jammu & Kashmir Ladakh region, Arunachal Pradesh and certain areas of North East and Andaman & Nicobar islands. It is not feasible for those in cozy places like Delhi, Mumbai or even smaller towns to settle at such places even temporarily.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I would also like to point out one more thing,ours is a very different and unique democracy than China's where neither the census has a count of the living or dead nor is there any technology available to do the recording for the same.

To implement such a policy here seems irrational and rather impossible.Moreover as pointed by Arun,we do have various cultural and social differences.Even the resources available are different.Every parameter has to be considered.However I am not in favor of a one-child model.

I believe even though the population problem may be same for the countries, the people we are talking about are different.And aren't we looking into a communist country's policy for a democratic country?

Leo

I would also like to point out one more thing,ours is a very different and unique democracy than China's where neither the census has a count of the living or dead nor is there any technology available to do the recording for the same.

To implement such a policy here seems irrational and rather impossible.Moreover as pointed by Arun,we do have various cultural and social differences.Even the resources available are different.Every parameter has to be considered.However I am not in favor of a one-child model.

I believe even though the population problem may be same for the countries, the people we are talking about are different.And aren't we looking into a communist country's policy for a democratic country?

The one child norm has been suggested in view of over population and this has nothing to do with type of government. Communist or capitalist, democratic or fascist, whatever be the system, we have to look at the issue of land and natural resources in relation to number of people. Undoubtedly, land and other resources like mineral products are fixed and cannot sustain increasing population. We need to control population in terms of persons per Sq. KM. One child norm will meet this objective.

[/quote]
The one child norm has been suggested in view of over population and this has nothing to do with type of government. Communist or capitalist, democratic or fascist, whatever be the system, we have to look at the issue of land and natural resources in relation to number of people. Undoubtedly, land and other resources like mineral products are fixed and cannot sustain increasing population. We need to control population in terms of persons per Sq. KM. One child norm will meet this objective.[/quote]

I agree that this model does control population explosion,but it does not guarantee development.And yes I agree we need to look into population density as well when we are discussing topics like this.
The one child norm as you said does have a psychological impact as well.May we would be able to control one problem of population explosion and open a new set of problems for future generations.

Leo

It has been suggested that population control may not guarantee development. However this will definitely help development. Development has to be measured in terms of per capita and not absolute figures. If the people are less, same national wealth belongs to fewer people. This is like family income. A small family will be more prosperous than than a large family with same income. If we have lesser population, we shall need less food, clothes, vehicles and other products. Thus development is related to population.

However population policy cannot be a rigid one and not change at any stage. We need one child norm for another twenty years. If our population is trimmed, policy may change. If population becomes too less and less than optimum, people will have to be encouraged for large family.

I think it will help to control Indian Population but to implement it will difficult because all kind of people will not able to accept it.

But it should be implemented it will be good for India

Santosh Kumar Singh

http://experienceofknowledge.blogspot.com/

I believe it has always been the way India has implemented the "two child policy".The government has rather been a failure to raise awareness & deal with population growth.

It has never been treated as a crisis & until n unless we do that we wont be successful in doing so.Even Now India adapts to one child policy we wont be successful.After all its all about knowing the greater concern in future & working towards it.
I must also add that Indian government never believes in "Prevention is better than cure".We are always into damage control mode let alone trying to treat this isssue as a crisis we are still ignorant about it.

But definitely this will turn out to be one of the crucial factor in India trying to become a super power by 2020.:pinch:
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.