The topic is locked.
Hi all, a new topic for discussion. Since this is February, the month that is associated with love, 14th Feb being St. Valentine's Day, the topic is related to love.

Is St. Valentine's Day truly relevant to the Indian society and culture? And does celebrating this day truly and sincerely indicate true love?

The question of love has been discussed earlier too, but since there are many who are new here and would like to air their views on the subject, I have posted this discussion.

As usual, rules apply, to be eligible for earning points of participation, minimum 3 VALID entries are required. Winner earns INR 50 plus 50 points, Runner-up earns INR 25 plus 50 points.

I request everyone to comply with the rules and try not to spam. I know the topic is exciting, but try not to post irrelevant data copied form other sites, whoever does so will be disqualified and do not post unnecessary pictures.

All the best!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Actually Valentine's day is the day on which a person whose name is valentine has expressed his love to his lover. From then that is known as Valentines day and finally it becames lovers day.

Actually it is not related to Indian culture. Its a western culture. As we Indian are habituated to western culture so In our India people are celebrating valentines day.

I feel Everyone who are in love they have their own valentine day on which day they have expressed their love to their love. Not the day feb14 is valentines day.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

Yes i totally agree with the celebration of this lover day in India.

Valentine's day is a right day for Indian youth to share their particular love. In accordance with historical past It's a Traditional Western Event however now it is celebrating in Indian also. It's really a evening when youth communicate their partner feeling to each other.
It's a right day for Indian youth when they give Gifts, red flowers, blossoms, reddish products toy, handmade cards to each other. However there are many parents in India create several influence regarding controlling inside Valentine's Evening. These people search resorts, dining places, coffeehouses, and gift store about 14th Feb. to stop couples from providing each other Valentines or other present. The police man prohibit the purchase associated with reddish carnations, reddish stuffed animals, reddish homemade cards and other red-colored things etc.

Now this day is a part of our culture too.
I Disagree the Valentine’s Day may bring any problem to Native indian lifestyle, It is celebrating in India with a great honour.This give him power of express their emotion in front of their partner. Indians enjoy Valentine’s Day within exactly the same way they will celebrate Holi. Some people are not thinking like This .But the new generation is very much favour in Valentine's day.It give the exact Value for others, including respect for ladies.

we have been incorrect to blame it all about the Western. Those who have live in other countries they know that Valentine's Day is definitely in a peaceful way. In India no person is certainly going to disturbing gifts , Flowers to other lady or the unknown lady.This Valentine day is become wrong to the activity of some of the bad minded people.
Last but not the least Valentine day can be a day like some other festivals of the year that is used to show his/her love to our beloved ones.So in India people should enjoy it peacefully and gracefully.It is not not going to influencing our own culture , customs and lifestyle.
Valentine's day is not in our culture. We bought it from other country culture. This is celebrated on the honor of Valentine.

There are many great love stories in our country and the world but we are celebrating only this day as Valentines day.

In my opinion who are in love do not need the valentines day because every day is Valentines day for them.

If they are in love they will express their feelings every day with out waiting for valentines day.

Earn money just for joining in this site.

http://www.money-friends.net/users/profile/en/155119.html

At the outset,I would thank Kalyani for bringing up this subject again which acquires special relevance and importance in the month of February.Here again I would differ myself with!! Why February? A true practitioner of love never remains either conscious or attaches any importance to any particular month,hour or second.He or she responds to this eternal and most authentic of all human feelings.And St Valentine day is just one of such immortal tales of love. Unfortunately we witness the usual discordant notes on this particularly issue and it would be interesting to have a profound insight into the opponents and proponents of observing it in India. Let me take my argument step by step in the course of this discussion. In my next posts I hope to deal with them.
Now a day Valentine's evening is become a very special occasion and this is not very old but a current phenomenon in India.There are still many people or youth who think that this is a occasion on that they are free to express there love in front of their partner.They never think what other think on that day.They get a super power on this day and they freely express their expression and many of them also get success in doing that.After the proposal is excepted it continue for the whole of the year.So this day give them a platform to express their emotion in front of their partners.As we say this is only a platform from where they start their journey after that they might celebrate this on any day of year.India also celebrate it as the other countries celebrate it.Indian Youth like to give some memory of their love on that day to their partner.This include Flowers, Cards, Toys like taddy bears etc.
Not only the youth but there is a excitment in various sectors of the people.It show the importance of a valentine's day.There is a preparation for this day just beore one month ago. there is a lost of advertiments on the Tv set, radio and art print media .many shop decorates their shops on the eve of the Valentine day.They try to keep all possible type of flowers,Gifts items and other essential material at their store.
The Actual valentine day is celebrating in a restaurants, night clubs, Cineplex, pubs and also Pizzas shops.They decorate every thing specially for that day.So that youth or lovers can enjoy this night with full flows and without any hegitation. Even many of the Individuals also express love to their buddies, teachers, brothers and sisters and parents.This day does not means that it is only for the youth it is for everyone.On this Valentine's Day lover of all kinds exchanged gifts like Candies, clean blossoms, cards, gentle toys and sweets. This show their love for each others.
At last This influence our Indian Culture but in a postive manner.
What i would like to say is that Valentine's day is just another occasion to celebrate.........

India is a country of vast diversity, if we can celebrate Id, Diwali and Pongal, then what is the problem with Valentine's day???

Only because this celebration dwells from the western culture should not be the argument.....In that case celebrating Christmas and New Year should also be argued upon......

Moreover, the growing popularity of Valentine's day in India itself is the proof that people are accepting this day whole heartedly.....

Relevance should not be thrived upon till people are enjoying it......

So many things have been done against this day, and still it is celebrated like any other celebrations in India......it is the democracy of the people....we have the right to choose what is good or bad......

smriti
Now coming to the relevance of the day and its context in Indian conditions and culture.The very term 'culture' has different connotations interpreted from individual perspectives .Let us accept it that the culture which we call 'Indian' is a composite and plural one.We have been exposed to the global culture for thousands of years and the process of assimilation has been on since time immemorial.And whatever has been found to be good has been there and whatever has been found to be bad or not benficial has come under deeper scrutiny. If India is a rich cultural mosaic we simply can't ignore the outside influences.More so when the world is a global village now with IT revolution bringing people and their cultures nearer and closer to one another. I would continue in my next post.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.