The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
@Sandhya

Wearing dhotis per se is neither a symbol of lack of modernity as Mr. Chidambarm would vouch for me- nor wearing trousers necessarily confirms one to be very modern in his thoughts and actions!!

I am saying about the convenience of using pants and shirts (not about symbol of modernity) My father still uses only dhoti, no pants :) . Sure, pants and modern dresses are more convenient to use, than dhoti and sari. So, we accept their dress code. If we are able to bring such good changes in us, why are we finding fault in dedicating a day for our loved ones?? That's what I am asking.

As I mentioned earlier, there is nothing wrong adapting to things, which are good in any culture weather dress, habits or manners, and leaving the bad even if those are part of our own. This is a global village now, this world and narrow thinking would not take us any far.
Why, even the language we are using here is not our own but we are doing it. Where do you think we would stand today if we had stuck to some of our own traditions alone? DO NOT think for a moment our traditions are not good but if we must compete with modern day world, we shall have to flexible and adapt good parts education, from wherever we get it
I know there are many countries in the world that use their own languages, cultures, education systems and products. However, they too are open to any thing good when it comes to accepting good things with open arms.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

sandhya you are right. When we are opting other culture in wearing modern dresses, using modern good and celebrating newyear, mothers day , fathers day and all then why cannot we celebrate valentines day. Most of the people are opposing it. In andhra if sevasena people find any couple going out on valentines day they are performing their marriage. This is really bad. Loving others is not compulsary to marry them know. I realy oppose for this kind of behavior of BJP people

Our Indian society can't accept relations before marriage. I think, this is the main reason for this kind of behavior.

According to western culture, they don't stand still in one relation. One person can have more than 1 affair at the same time also. Indians can't accept this. I think, many fear that, while imitating such celebrations of west, people may also try to accept western culture...ie......easy breakups and also accepting more than one person in life

Also due to the infidelity of western relationships, many elders of India can't find this day, true expression of love.They think, it is only a fake. That may also be one of the reasons why they are protesting it.
What do you say? I want your opinion also.

Meera sandhu
Marriage as an institution in India has survived in India so long because of its belief in the purity of relationship which our ancestors quite wisely thought to be an essential ingredient in the stability of our society.So we need not look to Western models here.After all what it has given to us - divorce,broken homes,cruels lives for their children turning to drugs and other forms of destructive addiction.A stable marital relationship demands some degree of self discipline and sacrifice on the part of both.A relationship which is devoid of love,trust and honour is destined to end.And there could not be any two opinions on it! A divorce is and ideally should be the last choice but a walk- out based on use and throw or breaking relations at the drop of a hat is the contribution of the West! Promiscuity in marital relationship too a great extent has been the gift of the West.

India has greatly benfitted from its culture and broad outlook from time immemorial by adopting and adapting to new ideas.If I am to remember what Gurudev Rabindra Nath Tagore termed 'India' as the great ocean of humanity! One need not bring any artifical yardstick of old or new in terms age in deciding this debate.What is clear to an intelligent young is equally clear to an elderly old! Whatever is good would stay and whatever is bad would be forced to go by Father Time!!
Love in life is such vital process that it counts and matters in every moment of our lives and while its presence makes our moments so lovable and lives so worth-living that it's open to debate if any particular day of the year may be celebrated when life itself is celelbration of love!Unfortunately commercial forays into domains of some of our most sacred and pure pleasures have made things appear a little bloated!!

That exactly is the point, you see while this day was not popular here in our country a couple of years back, we were still loving our relations according to their merits. We were still considered as most loving and caring people in the world. Just what do we think has been changed since the day has taken over as love/heart day symbol. This is greeting cards and chocolates those have replaced our traditional gifts pattern and the way we are showing-off is total amazing, for me at least. But I am sure I shall also be used to such shows as I have become to rest of them all.

Traditional Indian culture does not allow male or female to express their love for each other openly in public. If someone do so, they are considered as immoral or indesciplined people.
Presently, Indian culture has moved much forward. Indians are no longer considered as backward or mean. We have started adopting western culture and traditions. Many Indians obviously prefer to live like their ancestors. However to some extent they are also habituated with western culture too.
Valentine's Day is popular in foreign countries. This day has become famous in India also. Love is such an emotional expression which people can't hide or avoid it. If we can express our love to our lover on anniversaries then we can also express our love on Valentine's Day. Many people take their lovers out for dating or loves to enjoy party, etc. People exchange gifts and roses. Red rose is the only flower which is the symbol of love and passion. Demand for rose increases on this day. One day to express and feel love can be enough for us to spend whole year with lots of duties and hard work in this busy world.
According to me, V-Day must be celebrated by all lovers in the world.
Indians celebrate World woman's day, May day, Friendship day, Father's day, Mother's day and of course Fool day :laugh: . Then what is the problem with this 'Valentine's day' only?
Is it because, according to Indian culture, most parents or family don't allow their children to have lovers and they want them to be settled with arranged marriages only? I think this is the reason why so many are there to protest this day, in the name of love.
I think if it was named as a husband_wife day, then nobody will find a problem with this.
What do you say?

More things to say. But let anyone say his opinion on this point. :)

Sandhya, on Valentine's Day, husband can express his love to his wife or vice versa. There is no rule book or law which says that you can't enjoy this day with your wife and person should be unmarried or single. Yes I agree many families are against celebration of V-Day, the reason behind this is to remind their son and daughter, their limits before marriage. Afterall they are Indians. One should not forget their identity, culture and caste.
Indians celebrate World woman's day, May day, Friendship day, Father's day, Mother's day and of course Fool day :laugh: . Then what is the problem with this 'Valentine's day' only?
Is it because, according to Indian culture, most parents or family don't allow their children to have lovers and they want them to be settled with arranged marriages only? I think this is the reason why so many are there to protest this day, in the name of love.
I think if it was named as a husband_wife day, then nobody will find a problem with this.
What do you say?

More things to say. But let anyone say his opinion on this point. :)

Sandhya, on Valentine's Day, husband can express his love to his wife or vice versa. There is no rule book or law which says that you can't enjoy this day with your wife and person should be unmarried or single. Yes I agree many amilies are against celebration of V-Day, the reason behind this is to make them remember their limits before marriage. Afterall they are Indians. One should not forget their identity, culture and caste.

With due respect Devyani, the scenario is changing fast in our country as well especially in the cities where I live mostly these days, Delhi and Bangalore. There is no such thing as parents making any restrictions on their children regarding mixing up freely and celebrating the way they prefer. So that is not an issue any more.

Discussion has passed that point Devu.....
A lot more things have talked after that also. We have passed Sivasena's objection points also, a few hours back. Have you not reached there yet? :laugh:

Meera sandhu
What we call a 'global culture' is a shapeless mass! It's extremely important to know who are driving this so-called culture.Multi-nationals,trans-nationals which are creating a consumerist society and these corporations have made their banks sick.If one cares to look at the genesis of the current economic trumoil of Europe,my point would clear and validated.Mercifully,our banks have survived this crisis,thank god, these have not followed the so-called Western model.Many may raise their eye-brows as to what it has to do with Valentine Day.My answer is that it is an apt silencer to those who jump headlong into whatever bears a foreign tag!!
Can you explain it something more? i can't get all of its ideas.

Meera sandhu
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.