The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Earlier, some years back, professional courses were given by government organizations only, where students of pure merit (some reserved seats too) were only admitted. I think, we should return to that system of admission. If so, only qualified students will be able to become a good doctor or engineer. But it is not possible in present conditions.
Government itself is earning money through such private institutions. That's why they are approving more colleges. What's its after effects? More seats are there. So, more students are able to get those seats with less effort, if they have money in hand.
Before 10-15 years it was really difficult to get an engineering seat and those who get it were really brilliant. Earlier, minimum 50% should be needed for science subjects to write entrance exam. But now? I think, only just pass is needed. Not sure

It is the policy of govt that decides this.But here the parents and children policy are the thing of discussion.Individually each parent should have a vision to make his child's dream filled.But it should not be by force or spoiling the childishness.

I am sure that my peer groups wish to go back to those childish school days.But the present generation when they reach fourtees will not chose such a thought as their school days were bitter.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
There is bound to be a litlle deviation but we have to keep it in mind that here we are discussing an issue which has too many layers with deeper linkages and roots in our social and economic environment.Crisis in the field of education owes its origin to its utter neglect by the governments in the earlier decades of independence. A very small percentage of our budgetary allocation was there for education. As a result basic facilities were not created. If toady's parents are worried -it's because of lack of good schools imparting quality education. It's not schools are not available but good ones are less in numbers. I see either of the parents travelling afar with their kids to a school of their liking and the kid has to travel some 100 km a day!! Just think of it!!! Why can't improve and upgrade the local schools?
Coming to the topic, scoring good marks in 10th and 12th indirectly guarantees a successful life later on. Now a days, a successful life is based on the salary. So, parents are asking their children to work hard so that they can earn more in the future. Anyways, the students what they learn are not applying them in their work, so am not sure whether this can be termed as a successful life or career.
I think in a way free education has also spoiled the Indian eduction system. Now a days Government is providing free engineering and medical seat. so, the student doesn't know the real value of it. A student works hard to get the free seat, but after that he aims at completing the degree. Tats it. This happens in most cases.
Coming to the topic, scoring good marks in 10th and 12th indirectly guarantees a successful life later on. Now a days, a successful life is based on the salary. So, parents are asking their children to work hard so that they can earn more in the future. Anyways, the students what they learn are not applying them in their work, so am not sure whether this can be termed as a successful life or career.

I agree with this viewpoint. Success does not mean more money only. More money is indicator only. True success means job satisfaction that one gets only on a job that caters to his aptitude and interest. There are numerous jobs and topics for study. One will do best if correct choice is made. Choice made on money consideration or parents' false notion results only in damage to the society and individual.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

But, very often, success marks only not count to get good jobs. It is a little bit of experience and practical knowledge too. Good marks will help students only to get admission in good colleges, but it won't guarantee them, that they will good job. In a private firm, one gets job, how he approach the interview. Here, his distinction marks may not always help him.
I know.....my husband's boss, he is regional head. Yet, he holds only a degree certificate. All that he gained is through his hard work and his ambition to grow, learning through experiences. So, I am telling that, gaining good marks is not as important as gaining knowledge or learning through experiences

Meera sandhu
True education is not all about netting a cushy job,raising a family and ensuring all creatures comforts for oneself and the family. It must ensure development of a well-rounded personality, self-confidence and self-esteem, awareness of social responsiblities et al. An education with a narrow focus is no education at all. Thus we see frustration of a debilitating kind leading to increasing numbers of suicides amongst the students. What a tragedy - a student staking all in a certain percentage of marks overlooking the fact that life is too vast,too big and too beautiful to be enjoyed,experienced with an enlightened mind.

I agree with this viewpoint. Success does not mean more money only. More money is indicator only. True success means job satisfaction that one gets only on a job that caters to his aptitude and interest. There are numerous jobs and topics for study. One will do best if correct choice is made. Choice made on money consideration or parents' false notion results only in damage to the society and individual.

I agree that true success lies in job satisfaction. But now a days, only few people have that job satisfaction. Let me explain with an example. A person who has finished engineering in mechanical/ chemical or civil gets a job in IT industry. And in four years what he learnt in engineering he is not going to use it in his job. then how come he attains job satisfaction.
@Balachander
I think most of the engineering courses are so. Same is the case of MBA professionals. They get work in banks or some financial institutions. But what they learnt is entirely different from what they are going to practice. Here, a degree offers them a path only, to join that firm. After that they have to work according to that company's morals and set of rules, also on a particular branch or product. Same is the case of IT too. What we learn from colleges is entirely different from those given in companies. Often, they are trained with new s/w to meet customer needs.
It happens in the case of almost every technical courses, I think so. It may not be applicable for medicinal courses. I can't comment anything on this, since I don't have any knowledge regarding medical subjects.

Meera sandhu
Theory and practice are two different issues. In India some professional courses are designed in such manner that these are a little biased in favour of theory.As it is absolutely necessary for knowledge to be grounded in theory but the applied part of it deserves to be accorded equal importance.But the scenario was very different even 50 years back. The other day I was going through a book written by Buddhadev Dasgupta - a noted sarod maestro and a brilliant mechanical engineer. In the said book he was relating his experiences of a practical test conducted by his British teacher who was a tough one and he expected his students to detect the faults of a machine by hearing different sounds produced by it!
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.