The topic is locked.
Hello friends, Here is the topic for discussion of this week.

Today is the International Women's day. A number of programs are going on rel;ated to this in various parts of world. Still women have a lot of experiences of gender discrimination.

So this weeks discussion is on :

Does Woman get empowered by current methods? What are the practical methods of women empowerment ?

As usual to be eligible to earn 50 points, you have to post a minimum of 3 valid replies and please bear in mind, the replies should not be posted one after another but as a response to others' replies and to reiterate your point. Remember this is a DISCUSSION, not essay-writing.

The winner gets Rs 50 plus 50 points and the runner-up gets Rs 25 plus 50 points.

Like the previous discussions, hope that this one too gets immense response especially from lady comrades of Boddunan and keeps the forums alive!!! All the best!

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Presently, women empowerment is attempted by overprotecting them and special concessions in railway, services, taxation etc. The criminal law also is more protective to them. There is gender bias in law on rape and adultery. Such laws do not really protect them but constantly remind that they are mere objects and weaker.

We have traveled a long way till abolition of Sati thanks to efforts by Raja Ram Mohan Roy. It is time to remove the crutches from women and let them face the world at par with men. Law against dowry and domestic violence is okay. But there is no need to give women differential treatment in income tax. There need not be separate space for them in transport. The working women at least should compete with men on equal footing. The law on rape and adultery also needs be changed and made gender free. The law on rape and adultery as stands really objectifies women who are considered as mere commodity usable by men. There should be legal and social move to remove stigma on raped women. If a man suffers no stigma, why should woman.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Government has taken various steps to strengthen their situation in the society but still they are discriminated.Many women are still murdered due to dowry and many are raped and still the culprits knowingly or unknowingly get escaped from the law :( .Situation in Delhi is like girls here are afraid to get out of their house late night.recently we have seen lot of rapes done to the ladies when they came back to their homes from workplace :( .Though the culprits are arrested but the thing is why they were raped and left on the road to be killed by someone else.Is it because they are still vulnerable and just a toy for we men. :(

Government has thought about women and there are lot of women cell where mere a phone call can help them out but do they really work i doubt. :)
Yes,
a number of safety measures are there. Still the harassment is increasing.So what should we practically do to solve the problem?What is the methods adapted in other countries to reduce this? Or is the same condition prevails all over the world?

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
Abid, than you for posting such a sensitive crucial topic!

Although we have come a long from the gruesome rituals such as a sati practice, we still are a long distance fro attaining total gender equality. Even after more than a decade of entering into 21st century, we are still shamelessly carrying out female foeticide and in many places, female infanticides! :angry: Women are still being ordered and supervised on how to lead their own lives.

Although by law, there is a provision for 30% reservation for women, it is still a fact that a women, even though placed in a decisive and administrative role, she only does what her husband asks her to do so, ask any number of women sarpanches, or even many women MLAs, corporators etc.

This state of affairs is mainly because she is still denied the respect that she rightly deserves and more importantly, due recognition of what she is and her strengths and attributes. Sadly, at least in India and many Arabic countries, her anatomical differences than a male and her monthly cycles, which ironically are the very basis of reproduction and subsequently the existence of mankind, are the bane of her existence and are made the very reason she is banished to an inferior role and existence all of her life. Unless this attitude is changed, there is little one can do to improve the status of the women in society!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I would simply suggest to give them space in the society, we talk a lot about right to choose, give them right to choose. Do not force them to do any thing against their will, that would be the best, our society can give them. Let them select what they want to study, where they want to work and how they mix-up. Don't try to be over protective unless they really need it. Finally, give them respect as they deserve it being our better half, mothers, sisters and the ones who gave us birth.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
[quote]I would simply suggest to give them space in the society, we talk a lot about right to choose, give them right to choose. Do not force them to do any thing against their will, that would be the best, our society can give them. Let them select what they want to study, where they want to work and how they mix-up. Don't try to be over protective unless they really need it. Finally, give them respect as they deserve it being our better half, mothers, sisters and the ones who gave us birth[/quote]

Exactly! Give them the right to choose! Choose what they want to be, where they want to be and how they want to be! Give them the respect that they are expected to give all the rest! Give them space to grow and flourish!

I would simply suggest to give them space in the society, we talk a lot about right to choose, give them right to choose. Do not force them to do any thing against their will, that would be the best, our society can give them. Let them select what they want to study, where they want to work and how they mix-up. Don't try to be over protective unless they really need it. Finally, give them respect as they deserve it being our better half, mothers, sisters and the ones who gave us birth.

I think not to overprotective for them is ok but these days due to fear for many reasons parents have for girls they are overprotective. :) There is no doubt women should be respected in any case.They should be free to do things with their own wish nothing should be forced on them to do.Here in INDIA when the girl is at her parent's house his parents decide what she has to do and when she gets married her husband decides for her as if she does not have her own wish. :(

Today also in city like Delhi where laws and order are better than any city in INDIA when a girl goes out from her house on every crossing she has to face many eyes staring at her and many dirty comments which she just listen and ignores due to fear :( .My concern is why all this we do to a girl?Is she born to live like this.Why can't we give her the respect she deserves like men in the society. :)

I think not to overprotective for them is ok but these days due to fear for many reasons parents have for girls they are overprotective. :) There is no doubt women should be respected in any case.They should be free to do things with their own wish nothing should be forced on them to do.Here in INDIA when the girl is at her parent's house his parents decide what she has to do and when she gets married her husband decides for her as if she does not have her own wish. :(

Today also in city like Delhi where laws and order are better than any city in INDIA when a girl goes out from her house on every crossing she has to face many eyes staring at her and many dirty comments which she just listen and ignores due to fear :( .My concern is why all this we do to a girl?Is she born to live like this.Why can't we give her the respect she deserves like men in the society. :)

Law and order situation is worst in Delhi if compared to other metros of our country. Law and order is not what governments decide to enforce but they are what people follow. Law and order as far as sexual crimes are concerned at its worst in Delhi and surrounding areas and best in southern states, where such crimes are almost nil. People have respect for women in south as they are still following their traditions. People in eastern parts of the country are also better off compared to north and west, the worst affected are Northern states where they have to learn a lot.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Law and order situation is worst in Delhi if compared to other metros of our country. Law and order is not what governments decide to enforce but they are what people follow. Law and order as far as sexual crimes are concerned at its worst in Delhi and surrounding areas and best in southern states, where such crimes are almost nil. People have respect for women in south as they are still following their traditions. People in eastern parts of the country are also better off compared to north and west, the worst affected are Northern states where they have to learn a lot.

It is worst in DELHI may be due to its population and because of the people who have come to DELHI for their survival who believe they would escape by going back to their home after doing any crime. :( I still remember DHAULA KUAN rape case in which the culprits went back to their homes as they were not of DELHI making it difficult for Delhi police to arrest them. :(

People in North India definitely are not worse than other parts of the country but it seems law and order need to be more strict and should be followed up strictly.
[quote]
I think not to overprotective for them is ok but these days due to fear for many reasons parents have for girls they are overprotective. There is no doubt women should be respected in any case.They should be free to do things with their own wish nothing should be forced on them to do.Here in INDIA when the girl is at her parent's house his parents decide what she has to do and when she gets married her husband decides for her as if she does not have her own wish.

Today also in city like Delhi where laws and order are better than any city in INDIA when a girl goes out from her house on every crossing she has to face many eyes staring at her and many dirty comments which she just listen and ignores due to fear .My concern is why all this we do to a girl?Is she born to live like this.Why can't we give her the respect she deserves like men in the society. [/quote]

It is true that due to the fear of such unwanted attention and hideous characters around that makes the parents be more protective of their daughters, but I think empowering the girls by letting them become more confident and helping learn self-defense techniques should be preferred way of choice. Also, the fear of retribution against a woman who dares to oppose any kind of unsolicited attention towards her is a matter of serious conce3rn. Any woman who undergoes some kind of sexual, emotional harassment is the one who is blamed for the mishap and not the one who perpetrated the outrage against her. Often her own parents do not support. These things make her more and repressed and the criminals more bold and they often go scot free without any fear of law and order.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.