The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Some have rightly stated that old age home is no substitute for own home. I agree. That is why I favor old age home as last resort. When some one is old and infirm and no family member to look after, old age home is the only alternative.

Here I may also compare old age to childhood. These days both parents go for job. The send their infants to child day care centers. This as also a topic for a GD. similar is case with aged. When son and daughter in law both go for job and the old man is infirm and sick, old age home may be good alternative just as day care center is for babies. However, even if the oldies are sent to old age home for better care, their families should not ignore them and visit them regularly. Old age is also a sort of illness and so old age home may be seen as a nursing home.

Incidentally, all oldies are not infirm and physically incapable. Many are healthy even at eighty and can well live in own house by themselves. The best thing is that everyone should remain active and mentally positive always. One may reduce physical activity on getting old but not finish this. There is a tendency in Indian families that when son grows up and is married, the old man and the woman stop working and depend on son and daughter in law. This happens even at age of just fifty years.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Some have rightly stated that old age home is no substitute for own home. I agree. That is why I favor old age home as last resort. When some one is old and infirm and no family member to look after, old age home is the only alternative.

Here I may also compare old age to childhood. These days both parents go for job. The send their infants to child day care centers. This as also a topic for a GD. similar is case with aged. When son and daughter in law both go for job and the old man is infirm and sick, old age home may be good alternative just as day care center is for babies. However, even if the oldies are sent to old age home for better care, their families should not ignore them and visit them regularly. Old age is also a sort of illness and so old age home may be seen as a nursing home.

Incidentally, all oldies are not infirm and physically incapable. Many are healthy even at eighty and can well live in own house by themselves. The best thing is that everyone should remain active and mentally positive always. One may reduce physical activity on getting old but not finish this. There is a tendency in Indian families that when son grows up and is married, the old man and the woman stop working and depend on son and daughter in law. This happens even at age of just fifty years.

Very true ! In fact, in most families the grand parents are the glorified nannies for their grand children.Nothing wrong in helping out but, it should not become a burden on them.In my town there was a case where an elderly couple were run over by a bus when they were bringing the 2 grandchildren home.One of the child ran to the other side and while trying to bring him back they got run over since both were slow due to their age.
Another issue is that many children work abroad and no doubt send enough money to their parents, but who is to take care of them ? There are several cases where the old people have themselves decided to join a old age home because they felt that was the best option available to them.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

The senior citizens living alone in cities like Delhi have a security problem also. There are many criminals who target the senior citizens living alone. Several incidents of murder of senior citizens for robbing them of belongings have taken place in national capital. This issue is as significant as that of rape of working women at odd hours while returning home. The police need to provide special security for senior citizens living alone as they are very vulnerable. In many cases, the domestic servants are involved.

Apparently, old age homes are safer.

The senior citizens living alone in cities like Delhi have a security problem also. There are many criminals who target the senior citizens living alone. Several incidents of murder of senior citizens for robbing them of belongings have taken place in national capital. This issue is as significant as that of rape of working women at odd hours while returning home. The police need to provide special security for senior citizens living alone as they are very vulnerable. In many cases, the domestic servants are involved.

Apparently, old age homes are safer.

I agree with your point in recent years there have been many instances when the seniour citizens are murdered or robbed but i don't think it a valid reason for them to stay in the old age homes. :blink: This eventually can happen with any one and it happes but media highlights it when it happens with old people. :evil:

No doubt old age homes are safer but i think they need affection of their owns more than the safety :blink: .House build of walls are not enough for someone to live they need our support too. :blink:

Though hardly it happens as Devyani said most of the people don't understand their responsibility towards their parents once they get old they are thought to be like a scrap lying in a corner of the house. :evil:

We need to change this mentality but its tough as now people are more keen to adopt western culture blindly but they forget that in western country parents ask their kids also to stay alone and live their life separately does not matter if a kid is capable of living separately or not which rarely happens here. :blink:
In old age home they get also assistance and help of many other ol aged people.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
I believe that many people don't have mentality to live with their old parents. They feel it bothersome. They somehow try to get rid of responsibilities. Very few people live with their parents and feel that they should live with them forever. They face many situation but they don't leave their parents alone.
Oldage homes are for those people who are old and alone. However, the youngsters have changed the motive behind the rise of such homes for old peoples. They send their parents to oldage homes to get rid of their responsibilities.
On the other hand, grandparents and parents they them self leave their children and start living in oldage homes because they want to live peacefull and happy last days of life.
According to me, problem lies in the mind of people. Their mentality should be changed. Education is not enough for them. Social awareness is necessary.

Devyani you caught the point and if any have some moral sense then they don't behave like this.We should teach our children from childhood about morality.

I would like to divert your attention one more and yet very important point.

It is not just unwillingness on the part of the children to look after their aged parents, but also to the fact, that in many cases the aged parents suffer from complicated diseases such as Alzheimer's etc. This requires specialized and attentive full time care which may not be possible if their children are working and many times, they are also not financially able to provide such care. At such times, old age homes provide the solution as they can provide both medical as well as palliative care to the aged. Please consider this point in your arguments too.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

There are so many reasons those should be considered in this matter. I though it over seriously and reached to the conclusion that this is neither children' choice nor parents who are willing to live in an old age home but there are some unavoidable circumstances, which drive them to stay there.
For instance some people have no one to take care of them while they need it as every one knows that this is considered son's responsibility to take care of parents daughters are no lesser caring these days. Anyway, the question is if old persons have to stay in old age homes- Isn't it the responsibility of our government to provide them a proper shelter and decent living and proper treatment that they need most? If government can spend such a huge amount on unproductive expenditures, why can't they arrange for much needed shelters senior citizens? I salute NGOs doing great job running Helpage, Sandhya, Aradhna, Pitra Raksha and many such homes.
I shall be pleased to see our governments coming forward and take care of old people with immediate effect.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

There are so many reasons those should be considered in this matter. I though it over seriously and reached to the conclusion that this is neither children' choice nor parents who are willing to live in an old age home but there are some unavoidable circumstances, which drive them to stay there.
For instance some people have no one to take care of them while they need it as every one knows that this is considered son's responsibility to take care of parents daughters are no lesser caring these days. Anyway, the question is if old persons have to stay in old age homes- Isn't it the responsibility of our government to provide them a proper shelter and decent living and proper treatment that they need most? If government can spend such a huge amount on unproductive expenditures, why can't they arrange for much needed shelters senior citizens? I salute NGOs doing great job running Helpage, Sandhya, Aradhna, Pitra Raksha and many such homes.
I shall be pleased to see our governments coming forward and take care of old people with immediate effect.

But do you think government would be able to spend that much money?. :blink: The answer is "NO".When they have fixed pension of 1000~1500 Rs for them and they think that it is sufficient for them still do you think they would spend millions of money on the old age homes. :blink:

If they do it then it would be the best place for them to live.

:)
Sure Government should come forward for such Old age home.. But SJ is right. I don't think they are even thinking about them. Or I have never heard about Government helping some Old age home.

SJ.. I still think home with family is the best place to live.. Not all people think about money in old age.. Family is more important.. So it can't be best place for sure.

ANDROIOS: http://androios-tweaks.blogspot.com

I agree that the NGOs are doing good job. In fact, I have also been contributing to Helpage. Helpage provides financial assistant to many old age organizations in India. In fact, Help Age is apex body. Help Age has huge funds at disposal. Help Age is also running some mobile vans for medical care, conducts cataract operations and runs some old age homes. There is need to strengthen such organizations.

Government gives rebate in income tax under Section 80(G) to donors.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.