The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Karthik, you say that teh Indian cricket team is showing consistent performance at the International level!! is this true?? When was the last time that we won a World cup?? You say that players from other teams are not performing that well!!

But then when has the govt or media or for that matter any other sports sponsors supported other games as much as the Cricket team???

The amount of money that goes into Cricket matches is just so enormous that more and more youngsters are attracted to cricket than other sports! Would you think making your own son or daughter a hockeyplayer or a badminton player??

Where it comes to talent, we Indians do not have dearth of it, but what takes us down is the lack of funds if it is not cricket!!

I remember a thread by Chinmoy where he said that long long ago Indian football team had qualified to play at the world cup. The most horrifying part was that they were NOT allowed to play because the players did not have proper shoes and there was no money to buy them. Did ever such incident happen in the history of cricket?

Where soccer is concerned, our country does have excellent teams such as Mohun Bagan and Salgaocar etc. but do these teams ever come close to being qualified at any time for the world cups??

It is my opinion that it is high time that attention be diverted from cricket and the other sports be given their longstanding dues.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Sridevi wrote:
[quote]Hi Kathick-[quote]In order to promote the game the respective organization should conduct more number of matches instead of saying that Cricket is hampering other games[/quote]

As of now India is spending major portion of it revenue on cricket, if it spends the same amount on other sports, poverty and unempolyment rate will be increased.Hence, money on cricket including the heavy pay packages and benefits to cricketers, needs to be curbed.

And also, I doubt if there is "consistent good performance" for cricket, considering that the last world cup India won in cricket was in 1983. and I supppose there are comparitively less international one day matches won after that.[/quote]

@Sridevi

The present ICC test ranking of India is no 1 this shows the consistency of Indian cricket team in the recent days. There might be some ups and downs but overall they are able to produce good results.

Your first paragraph says that India is spending major portion of money to cricket, its not the India which spending the revenue its the BCCI which is spending its revenue on cricket. How can BCCI spend its money to other sports? Its meaningless. Moreover if good performance is shown by the players of other games like cricket then craze automatically follows them like that of cricket. So it all depends on the players and organization and there is nothing to blame on cricket.

Regards,
Karthik.
Hi Karthik,
[quote]Your first paragraph says that India is spending major portion of money to cricket, its not the India which spending the revenue its the BCCI which is spending its revenue on cricket. [/quote]

BCCI is an Indian body only. So when I said India I meant BCCI only. and as per the ICC cricket rankings i wonder if India is in the No 1 position.
http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/match_zone/team_ranking.php
It is showing No 2 only.

[quote]The amount of money that goes into Cricket matches is just so enormous that more and more youngsters are attracted to cricket than other sports! Would you think making your own son or daughter a hockeyplayer or a badminton player??

[/quote]

Right Kalyani.. and not only is cricket associated with money, but also fame.

And when you mentioned badminton, I remember reading somewhere that even Prakash Padukoni, the badminton champion,was higly unsatisfied about the unprofessional conduct of the sports governing body and told that the game needs to be run like a company with a separate CEO.

So, the major reason for this unprofessional conduct is due to lack of funds and proper accountability-all of which is diverted to cricket.
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
[quote]Karthik, you say that teh Indian cricket team is showing consistent performance at the International level!! is this true?? When was the last time that we won a World cup?? You say that players from other teams are not performing that well!!

But then when has the govt or media or for that matter any other sports sponsors supported other games as much as the Cricket team???

The amount of money that goes into Cricket matches is just so enormous that more and more youngsters are attracted to cricket than other sports! Would you think making your own son or daughter a hockeyplayer or a badminton player??

Where it comes to talent, we Indians do not have dearth of it, but what takes us down is the lack of funds if it is not cricket!!

I remember a thread by Chinmoy where he said that long long ago Indian football team had qualified to play at the world cup. The most horrifying part was that they were NOT allowed to play because the players did not have proper shoes and there was no money to buy them. Did ever such incident happen in the history of cricket?

Where soccer is concerned, our country does have excellent teams such as Mohun Bagan and Salgaocar etc. but do these teams ever come close to being qualified at any time for the world cups??

It is my opinion that it is high time that attention be diverted from cricket and the other sports be given their longstanding dues.[/quote]

@ Kalyani

If you think that the world cup is the only thing that we need to see then it is completely wrong. Based on one tournament you cannot judge the quality of the team. If world cup is the only criteria then South Africa should not be considered as a good team as it didn't won even a single world cup so far. Its the consistency that we need to see and not one single tournament.

Regarding the soccer things that you spoke those things took place in 1950's where our country was not developed in any aspect. Today they are good number of grounds available with quality resources but where are the players?

Regarding my son or daughter if they are really interested in sports and if they have the talent in badminton or any other sport of their choice I will definitely encourage them.

Regards,
Karthik.
@ Sridevi,

Let me clear you one point there is no link between the Indian Government and BCCI. BCCI is at its liberal to spend its revenue in which ever form they want. As the revenue they get is from sponsors and other sources and not from Indian Government. The link you provided clearly shows that India is on top of all teams.

Regards,
Karthik.
Yes..agreed BCCI does not get its money from the government, but only indirectly encourages it to make cricket popular and "is the richest cricket board in the world. "but finally it is the Indian revenue only.

And.. Ok i edited the link.. And in this link:
http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/
Australia is in rank 1, followed by S.A and then India.
Sridevi wrote:
[quote]
And.. Ok i edited the link.. And in this link:
http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/
Australia is in rank 1, followed by S.A and then India.[/quote]

I clearly mentioned that India is no 1 in test rankings in the above link also it shows India as no 1 test team in the world. There is lot of difference between ODI and Test rankings and rankings wont change from one site to another site.

Regards,
Karthik.
Yes. that was ODI only..where india was rank 3
Karthick

Indian players are never consistent, except few. why there is lot of changes in the team for every series if players are consistently performed? once ifran pathan was praised , where is he now? and you are diverting the topic of group discussion.

all that matters is India does not promote anything, when we consider USA, they are promoting baseball all over world.
India should promote kabadi and khokho what if kabadi is nepali's game? even cricket is not our game it is england national sports.

while there is a worlcup event for cricket why don't they start a worldcup event for kabadi and other sports?
Yes Saajeetaran.. Kabaddi, being our traditional game , it was not cared till now..Also, We do not hear much of India participating in Basketball or football world cup.

And as Abid said, BBCI had to offer money to IHF which shows the sorry state of affairs of hockey.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.