The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Karthik Wrote [quote] @Kalyani

If you think that the world cup is the only thing that we need to see then it is completely wrong. Based on one tournament you cannot judge the quality of the team. If world cup is the only criteria then South Africa should not be considered as a good team as it didn't won even a single world cup so far. Its the consistency that we need to see and not one single tournament.

Regarding the soccer things that you spoke those things took place in 1950's where our country was not developed in any aspect. Today they are good number of grounds available with quality resources but where are the players?

Regarding my son or daughter if they are really interested in sports and if they have the talent in badminton or any other sport of their choice I will definitely encourage them.

Regards,
Karthik.[/quote]

@Karthik, nowhere in my post have I ever said that we only need to see the world cup!! Understand what I am trying to say!! What I have said about the football team are the facts and even if they happened way back in 1950's, Cricket was still celebrated and the cricketers were treated lavishly way back then too!! Try and look beyond cricket!!
Have you ever heard of a person named Khashaba Jadhav??? He was a wrestler who won the first ever Invididual medal for India in the Olympics. He won the 1952 Bronze medal for wrestling in Helsinki and he died in sheer poverty!! Have you ever heard of similar thing happening to any of the worst-ever seen cricketers!

A tribute to his sterling feat is that it remained unmatched for 56 long years. In the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Sushil Kumar ultimately won bronze in wrestling equaling - not beating - Jadhav's feat!

I am merely trying to illustrate my opinion that Cricket is indeed hampering teh growth of other sports in India!!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

OK Friends discussion is getting hot while it is raining outside here!!

@Kalyani...

World Cup Soccer is not between clubs like Mohun Began , Salgoakar etc but between countries.World Club Champions Trophy is there for clubs.

Now come to our discussion -

Really cricket is hampering other sports in indirect method as I put in my first discussion.Here all the media are giving attention and high priority to cricket.It is because of the fans of cricket and media looks for its profit.Hence no need to blame them as it is their business.But cricket being the cause we have to blame it.

As Sreedevi told Athlets like PT Usha , Shiney Wilson etc who were once the icons of India in World athletics were less paid in those days and also nowadays. PT Usha is running a school of Athletics in Kerala.Authority , even Kerala Government is giving less importance to it while even Kerala is behind IPL cricket team.One of the athlet of this school Miss Tintu Looka gets gold medal in almost all races including international one.Who hears her name? At the opposite if Sreesanth gets fever it is a news in media!!What does it mean?

Karthik told about the consistancy of Indian Cricket team.What is the consistency they are exhibitting?In Zimbabwe they lost the series.In Asia cup also lost to Srilanka. Winning trophies continuously without a defeat is consistancy in my opinion.

Now even government had recognised Cricket as a gold egg laying duck.Hence they also promote cricket more than our national game Hockey.When our hockey team failed to qualify for Olympics it didn't become a news for discussion to channels. But introduction of Cricket in Olympics became a topic. India performs well in Kabadi and introduction of it even in Asian games is not a hot discussion for us (Once it was in Asian games, later removed).

So all the eagles are flying over money only.If there is endless source why should care another less profitable?That is the mind of all.Between it our sports culture also is getting hampered.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
Abid:[quote]@Kalyani...

World Cup Soccer is not between clubs like Mohun Began , Salgoakar etc but between countries.World Club Champions Trophy is there for clubs.
[/quote]

Abid, I know that these are football clubs and world cup is not played between clubs!! The point that I was making here was that in spite of having talented players in football, our teams never come close to qualifying for the World Cup!! I am only trying to illustrate my point of view by giving an example which is very similar to the other examples given by you!!

i agreed with you abid,

it is very clear from the present Olympic that China with the highest population in this world is at the top position. India is second to it in population and hence the trend should be that India should be second to it. But, the reality is something else.

Understanding the difference between India and China, I can say that China is utilizing its strongest point of so called man power to be a super power in this world. Its citizens are highly committed towards its duties. In India, the commitment is lacking. Everyone is going behind the thing which is at present in limelight. Overall, money has become the prime motive of people. Athletics and other games are not in limelight because there is lack of money and cooperation by the government. The sports authorities are lacking the commitment towards their duties. Nepotism and Corruptions are at its peak among them.

Also, the another reason is Cricket. It is damaging the image of other games. Indian citizens have given unnecessarily too much weight to CRICKET in their life. Hence thinking about other games have become a rare thing.

This trend can be changed if more like Abhinav Bindra comes up and add glamour to the athletics and other games.
Abid Areacode wrote:
[quote]

Now come to our discussion -

Really cricket is hampering other sports in indirect method as I put in my first discussion.Here all the media are giving attention and high priority to cricket.It is because of the fans of cricket and media looks for its profit.Hence no need to blame them as it is their business.But cricket being the cause we have to blame it.[/quote]

@Abid Areacode,

You said that media is mainly concentrating on Cricket which is absolutely false. If you open any news paper (not papers like THE HINDU etc where 3 or 4 pages are allocated for sports news) some regional news papers like Eenadu etc where there is only page allocated for sports column you can clearly see that the most of the page is filled with soccer with just 1/10th of the page allocating to cricket. Presently Indian cricket team is taking part in Asia Cup and there is no Indian team in Soccer world cup but higher priority is given to Soccer world cup only by the newspapers. Similarly news channels are also mainly concentrating on Soccer world cup.

Regards,
Karthik.
Abid Areacode wrote:
[quote]

Karthik told about the consistancy of Indian Cricket team.What is the consistency they are exhibitting?In Zimbabwe they lost the series.In Asia cup also lost to Srilanka. Winning trophies continuously without a defeat is consistancy in my opinion.

[/quote]

@Abid Areacode,

For Zimbabwe series all our main players were rested and India went on with full reserve bench and presently they won two back to back matches against Bangladesh and Pakistan and they match that they lost against the Sri Lanka was also sort of testing the reserve bench. They didn't enter the field with full strength they rested some of the main players like Baji etc. This is just because they are already in the finals. No team in this world can win all the matches continuously there will be some ups and downs. Consistency means having a good record which is not shown by other sports members. Since other sports are lacking this consistency there is no much craze for other games. If the soccer or hockey has this consistency then surly there will be lot of followers for those games also.

Regards,
Karthik.
I think cricket give more entertainment to us that is the reason media most oriented on this so most youngster like to see and play cricket. So more cricketer and hard hitter come from cricket game.

Other game did not have variety like cricket so that game loose his place like cricket.

Santosh Kumar Singh

http://experienceofknowledge.blogspot.com/

Hi Karthick-Media is indeed concentrating on cricket-- one of the reasons is that people read more of cricket news than other sports news.

How many times you would read Tennis news or table tennis news or boxing or badminton news? Maybe tennis news during wimbledon and football news during World cup. In all other days, it just consists of 1 or 2 columns.

Or does everybody know how many medals won by Prakash Padukone who holds the All england championship in shuttle, or for that matter, Leandar Paes, who is one of the current champions for the Australian Open.

And you said that other sports are lacking this consistency. I think tennis is consistently performed well and given the encouragement, it will beat or be at par with cricket.
Abid wrote: [quote]So all the eagles are flying over money only.If there is endless source why should care another less profitable?That is the mind of all.Between it our sports culture also is getting hampered.[/quote]

This is the reason why even govt. is backing BCCI. There is real money to be gained and hence everyone is flocking to cricket.

Karthik, the reason for recent news coverage being given to the current FIFA matches is only seasonal since it is ongoing. Once the world cup is over, they will again turn their attention to cricket as usual!!

And I endorse with whatever Sridevi and Abid have said in their posts!

Hello @everyone,

Everyone are saying that media is not concentrating on other sports. At this point of time Asia Cup final match is going on between India and Sri Lanka and if you look at the any news channel they are showing about Badminton star Sania Nehwal who stood 3rd in world badminton rankings. If there is good performance shown the media automatically turns towards them irrespective of the game they are playing.

Regards,
Karthik.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.