Dear Friends,

My state Kerala is considering to ban lottery.So here is the new topic for the Group Discussion!

"Is it necessary to ban Lottery ?"

The winner will be awarded a cash prize of Rs. 50 and the Runner-up Rs. 25 along with 50 points each.

All participants who post at least three valid replies will be awarded 50 points in the Group Discussion. The Replies should be in a constructive manner either opposing or supporting the topic.

See link for more information and rules of the contest:

[url=http://]http://www.boddunan.com/forums/3-contests-a-rewards/3854-introducing-the-new-contest-group-discussio[/url]

All the best everyone!

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Very good topic Abid...

Lottery is a sort of Gambling game which draws money.
In my view lottery should be banned, and should not be encouraged.
Here are some points to support my statement...
1. Many people who get addicted to lotteries want to become millionaire just in one night; by winning a jackpot. :blink:
2. They loose interest in their daily work and forget what reality is!!!
3. Many of these lottery operators are frauds.. which would convert the black money to white.
4. It is always advised to invest and spend wisely. This is not the wise way of investment/earning.

Thanks 'n' Regards,
Deepti.
Good topic Abid.I support Deepti's view and it should be banned.
Even though the prize of a single lottery ticket may be less,once if people starts buying it,they are getting addicted to it and spends their money uselessly.Mostly low income people will buy these tickets and this affects their economical condition badly.

websitesreview-meens.blogspot.com
Yes Meean.. Most of the people addicted to this lottery would be seeing to get money in the easy and simple way....

This is a very bad practice... This should be banned completely..

Thanks 'n' Regards,
Deepti.
There are so many states banning lottery. But people still continue to go to other forms of betting. It is better to legalise lottery and increase tax on it. This will discourage people from conducting lottery as the lottery prices will increase automatically. Mandating a part of the amount won by a person to donate for a cause like orphan home or old age home can be another way to discourage people from lottery.
Priya,
I don't think people who are addicted to buying lottery tickets will stop buying it if the prize is increased.For example if the prize of a lottery ticket is Rs.10 and a person buys 10 tickets and if the prize is increased to Rs.15 he may still buy 7 tickets instead of 10.

Regarding your idea for donation to orphanage,if this kind of law is made, then there will be more chances of corruption and somebody will become richer by stealing this money and it will not go to the orphanage correctly.

Yes --- Gambling is always gambling.. Whether it is legalized or illegal...

The person addicted cannot stop himself from buying it!!!

It is always better to ban these sort of games...

But one thing..... There are many poor people living on this game by selling lottery tickets. I have seen many small children and old people carrying these lottery tickets and standing in a busy center.
Banning this game would hit them with starvation.... :(

Thanks 'n' Regards,
Deepti.
I don't think so Deepti.If they cannot sell lottery tickets,they can sell some other thing because their job is "Selling" and is independent of the thing they sell.

My entry to this good group discussion.

I would lke to say NO to this. My valid points are,

No, as long as no one forces people to buy lottery tickets. If not lottery people will bet on Fights anyway.However I feel Govt should not be in the business of lottery. They can collect taxes on Lottery Ticket sales however.

But according to me it should be banned even though it has minor benefits.

@ Deepti

Some Counter Arguments :

[hide]1. Many people who get addicted to lotteries want to become millionaire just in one night; by winning a jackpot[/hide].

Ban Smoking, Alcohol, and everything else that is addictive. Smoking/Alcohol have ruined many many families. More than Lottery will ever do.
[hide]
2. They loose interest in their daily work and forget what reality is!!![/hide]

I have seen people who dabble in the stock market do nothing else. One Mobile phone stuck to the ear and rear all the time :-).
[hide]
3. Many of these lottery operators are frauds.. which would convert the black money to white.
[/hide]
So are many banks and chit funds :-). Do you want names ? Govt is the biggest fraud of all of them :-).

[hide]4. It is always advised to invest and spend wisely. This is not the wise way of investment/earning[/hide]

I agree. Which is the wisest way ?

With such justification we need to Ban

1) Alcohol consumption
2) Tobacco products
3) Prostitution
4) Other means of gambling
5) Investment in Stocks

Business entities providing ad mentioned above services flourish on the addiction of same people
Well Sajeetharan, Here are my counter points too....

Can you support your points..
sajeetharan wrote:
[quote]No, as long as no one forces people to buy lottery tickets.[/quote]

I donot think that one would force others to buy lottery tickets.An addict would not stop buying if forced not to buy also... :ohmy: :ohmy:

There can be some problems associated with winning a lottery jackpot.Those of a poor socioeconomic background may not haveproper money management skills. In addition, there are security and safety risks associated with publicly announcing the lottery winners such as holding family members for ransom. Winners some times feel anomie from the dramatic change of lifestyles.

Sajeetharan wrote:
[quote]But according to me it should be banned even though it has minor benefits.[/quote]

Can you give some valid benefits Sajeetharan????????

Sajeetharan wrote:
[quote]Ban Smoking, Alcohol, and everything else that is addictive. Smoking/Alcohol have ruined many many families. More than Lottery will ever do.[/quote]

Smoking, Alcohol, everythingelse spoils the physical health.....
Lottery spoils mental health.. :)
Sajeetharan wrote:
[quote]I have seen people who dabble in the stock market do nothing else. One Mobile phone stuck to the ear and rear all the time :-).[/quote]

Same with the case with lottery Sajeetharan!!!! I have seen many people who became rich in one night because of lotteries... .would never go for going a job or business.... They would just spend time with lotteries to earn easy money....

Sajeetharan wrote:
[quote]So are many banks and chit funds :-). Do you want names ? Govt is the biggest fraud of all of them :-).[/quote]

I do know about the fraud chit funds who had turned boards over night.... But this would not make lottery to be genuine one!!!!!!

Sajeetharan wrote:
[quote]With such justification we need to Ban
1) Alcohol consumption
2) Tobacco products
3) Prostitution
4) Other means of gambling
5) Investment in Stocks
Business entities providing ad mentioned above services flourish on the addiction of same people[/quote]

Andhra Pradesh banned Alcohol consumption for quite a long period when N.T.Rama Rao was CM..... This was later removed.
As you stated, the government would get great loss, so they might have not been looking into it....

Thanks 'n' Regards,
Deepti.
A really hot topic, great!! Teh discussion is really getting interesting!!

As to the topic of the GD, it is not possible to ban lottery system overnight or completely banish it from the country, for the simple reason that gambling in various forms is being practised from very ancient times. Taking risks in foolish ventures is in the blood of the total humanity, not just Indians.

My opinion is that instead of trying to ban lottery, instead legalize the entire system, implement rigorous regulations and establish a financial regulatory body to oversee the lottery directly.

Banning lottery will mean loss of jobs of thousands of people who earn their livelihood by selling lottery tickets!

Meean:[quote]I don't think so Deepti.If they cannot sell lottery tickets,they can sell some other thing because their job is "Selling" and is independent of the thing they sell. [/quote]

Meean, you do have a point but the fact is that the consumer market is based on what the customer wants and not what the seller wants to sell. Unless there is a large-scale change in attitude of the people and multitude efforts by Government to rehabilitate these people, there is no option for them other than selling the lottery tickets. This profession is very much equivalent to those of makers of cuntry liquor or women into flesh trade. All are equally immoral, illegal and devastate hundreds of families on equal footing., But the fact remains that the hunger of the mankind triumphs over all moral sensitivities forcing people to do what they do not want to do or given the right circumstances, will never choose to do!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.