The topic is locked.
Dear Friends,

A new topic for this week's GD contest!

Has medical profession become a business or tool to earn money? And should a doctor be punished severely for negligence in treating a patient?

As usual the winner will be awarded a cash prize of Rs. 50 and the Runner-up Rs. 25 along with 50 points each.

All participants who post at least three valid replies will be awarded 50 points in the Group Discussion. The Replies should be in a constructive manner either opposing or supporting the topic.

See link for more information and rules of the contest:
www.boddunan.com/forums/3-contests-a-rew...test-group-discussio

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Ok Topic is "Has medical profession become a business or tool to earn money? And should a doctor be punished severely for negligence in treating a patient?"

In my opinion there is no doubt that it had become a money earning business for the present parents and generation.Once to become a doctor was really for serving the society.It was very difficult to afford with the expense of becoming a doctor.After becoming a doctor he has to diagnose patients who were mostly without a penny.

But today the whole scenario had changed.Those who have enough cash had many colleges to join and become a doctor.Mostly the sons and daughters of doctors are again becoming doctors.They have enough money by their own practice and realises that the best job for money making is becoming a doctor as there will not be any scarcity of diseases in future.

The second part of the discussion is a good question.I think it is human to have some mistakes.But a doctor should have to be more concious when he treat a patient as the life of person is in doctor's hand.Hence naturally he will care well.But if he do not care the patient in a required serious manner I think the doctor should be given some punishment.A patient comes to doctor beleiving him.So negligence from a doctor is like an insultation as well as violation of rights.So he should be punished especially the new generation doctors.But severe punishment is not necessary.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
Yes, I totally agree with the first statement that "Medical Profession has turned as a business tool to make money.There are some professions which are totally service based without any intention of minting money.Teacher profession and Medical profession are among those dedicated service based professions.

But Now a days doctors doesn't even have time to check the patient records. Every patient is dedicated hardly 2-3 minutes.They do so as they will have more time to look to other patients.Gone are the days when medical profession was considered as a service.

My view on second statement.
Patients consider doctors equivalent to god.The doctors are the rescuers who can rescue the patients from their woes and ailments. So,if they show negligence in treating the patients it is a crime.They should be punished.
I think the answer to the first question will be unanimous. The medical profession is most definitely more business oriented these days.

The problem starts at the root level, with the fees for medical education. People end up spending such an enormous amount of money just becoming qualified doctors that the minute they're qualified, they're more worried about repaying their debts and loans than actually curing diseases. Hence the exorbitant fees and unnecessary tests.

Doctors are being punished when they're negligent. The degree of punishment, however, naturally depends on the severity of negligence.
There is nothing wrong in honestly earning from medical profession or that matter from any profession. However, medical is a noble profession and higher degree of ethics and morality is called for. But unfortunately, all medical professionals including doctors, chemists, medical labs, hospital indulge in various malpractices and even outright cheating to earn maximum. The patients are made to stay in hospital longer than required, forced to get tests even when not necessary and that too from favoured labs, to buy medicines from favoured chemists and so on. Even cases of medical treatment continuing after death of patients, stealing of human parts from body, change of babies etc. have been reported.
Needless to say, the medical profession must be cleansed of malpractices and patients especially poor patients give quality treatment at reasonable costs.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I think what I find most upsetting about the medical practice these days is how they refuse to treat you until you give a guarantee of payment. I've also noticed that people with insurance are given far more attention than the rest. (Perhaps more than they even deserve. Another attempt to extort as much money as possible)
Yes, I agree that medical profession is being used as a tool to earn money.Mushrooming nursing homes every here and there are witness to this fact.Poor quality of diagnosis, below par cleanliness, lack of basic facilities, want of sense of duty among the staff, imposition of unwanted pathological tests on patients and ever increasing bills are some of the characteristics which define today's medical profession.
For negligence in treatment, a doctor should be definitely subjected to punishment but it must be remembered that doctors are also human beings and the severity of punishment must vary from case to case. Since this profession demands utmost seriousness, the onus of a doctor is more than those in other professions.
There can't be an iota of doubt that the medical profession which along with other few was considered to be noble in anot- too-distant
past, has ceased to be so and degenerated into convenient tool for the most corrupt section to make a fast buck at the cost and lives of millions of suffering people of this country.Now wags say if a person has contracted any ailment,there are two war fronts opening for him or her.One is the battle against misery and sufferings caused by the ailment or disease itself and the other one is against all kinds sick tricks and stragems of the doctor to bleed financially! Hey friends! It's to time to remember the proverb:"Physicians heal thyself."
Medical profession is a noble profession and is definitely much different from Business. The doctors are professional as entry to the profession requires prescribed qualification and expertise. Unlike Business, Doctor;'s work is personal and cannot be delegated like Business. A doctor is supposed to exercise his skill for the best treatment of patient. He must be absolutely fair. Relation between a doctor and patient is very delicate and is of utmost faith. Unfortunately, medical profession is today not free from corruption, malpractices and undue lure for money.
The Medical council of India regulates the medical profession. It is expected that conduct of doctors is closely monitored. Not to speak of unfair practices, a doctor is supposed to be very careful and not be negligent. Reasonable care is required from doctors. Genuine errors of judgment in treating a patient cannot be ruled out but gross negligence cannot be overlooked. The gross irregularities, malpractices and gross negligence must not go unpunished.

Also many students take up the medical studies as their parents force them to do so.This is surely result in negligence of duty because most of the people can't concentrate in a work which they don't have interest on. They consider all professional degrees a token to sell their children in the market of marriage.
nagalakshmi.karunanidhi wrote:
[quote]Also many students take up the medical studies as their parents force them to do so.This is surely result in negligence of duty because most of the people can't concentrate in a work which they don't have interest on. They consider all professional degrees a token to sell their children in the market of marriage.[/quote]

I agree. The heavy capitation fee and other malpractices in admission to medical college are major cause of ills in medical profession. The parents as well as medical students regard education expenses, capitation fee and other allied expenses as capital cost which must be recovered by hook or crook.

The first remedial step is to free medical education of malpractices and ensure that only capable students are admitted. The education must be free and for potentially good doctors only. After education, all doctors must be required to serve minimum five years in rural area.

Adherence to model code of conduct must be ensured. If any medical person is found indulging in serious malpractices, corrupt activities and guilty of gross negligence, severe action including withdrawal of membership of medical council must be taken.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.