Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Sanjeev Gupta wrote:
rambabu wrote:
Sanjeev Gupta wrote:
chinmoymukherjee wrote:

I do not believe that being an elder automatically qualifies one to be respected. Respect has to earned and not claimed on the basis of age alone. There has been a paradigm shift in the light of explosion of knowledge, its sophisticated delivery mechanism and easy accessibility. One can live a hundred years without either growing mature or wise. Well, we have to treat our parents at a different plane altogether.

''respect is earned not claimed'' I agree with the point but what to do with elders who doesn't understand it. May be they need understand it better to get respect from others.

There is no need to make the elders who claim respect. As you said, it should be earned.

But that's not practically possible as our society does not permit that.

If you feel that way,  stop respecting the elders and respect the society.

@Sanjeev

It is a subjective element in the conduct of any elder but we have got to accept that conduct-wise they do not constitute a separate class. Some command respect without any demand, some demand it unwisely without any justification. And if any effort has to be made to put across this obvious fact that they or their views are  out of sync with times, it would be all the more ironical.

@chinmoyjee and those who demand it unwisely too we have to give them as we can't disrespect as them . May be you don't agree with me.

And what about those who deserve respect but are neglected by their own kids.

Yes this is subjective matter it all depends person to person.

Sanjeev Gupta wrote:

@chinmoyjee and those who demand it unwisely too we have to give them as we can't disrespect as them . May be you don't agree with me.

And what about those who deserve respect but are neglected by their own kids.

Yes this is subjective matter it all depends person to person.

Respecting even those who demand it unwisely shows a person's culture and reflects on his/her good upbringing and I feel that it is only when  people  ( even if there are only a handful of them) go all out  to uphold these values that our society becomes a better place to live in.. 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Sanjeev Gupta

@Sanjeev

Pretence of respect strikes at the very roots of the concept of respect. True respect just wells up which is characterized by a kind of spontaneity. It is always possible to wriggle out of such situation without compromising on dignity and self respect. 

chinmoymukherjee wrote:

@Sanjeev

Pretence of respect strikes at the very roots of the concept of respect. True respect just wells up which is characterized by a kind of spontaneity. It is always possible to wriggle out of such situation without compromising on dignity and self respect. 

''Pretence of respect'' is not a respect no doubt but what's the harm in it no one gets harmed from it. Moreover this is barometer which we have decided and we have to follow them.

It is true that age is not the lone factor for gaining respect, especially in the case of strangers. Blindly respecting some persons whom we do not know, just because of their old age, may sometimes create problems, because age alone cannot reveal one’s mind. Their thoughts and intentions may be negative that will harm us. We should educate our children to be cautious while dealing with such strangers. 

Wisemen be it young or old, they won't offer unsolicited advises and teachings to others, unless they are asked. This is the chief trait of people with wisdom.

I don't mind respecting all ages, maybe an oldman that does not deserve respect with your  viewpoint changes his behaviour and become respectable. Some of it depends on how you treat others, there is a scientific theory, 'the ball comes back to you with same velocity at which you hit it on the wall'   

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: Sanjeev Gupta

Respecting elders - Is it wisdom, age or experience

Category: Discussions 2 days ago

Today in India, the western awe has once again spread its wings and people have lost the charm of the Indian soil because of its lack of understanding of values and Spiritual insights. This is having a tremendous impact as to how we are currently moving with elders and a situation has arisen where things have to be learnt the scientific and practical yet with a controversial heading. 

Today people have begun to talk that it's not the age, but the content of information one holds and how fashionistic a person is that matters than the elderliness... How do we go about this situation and what are the diverse perspectives of the Indian community...?

Speaking about Western influence, I know for a fact that Elderly people in Western and European countries have the best of both the worlds.They lead a full life and have their independence , at the same time interacting with their children and their families during weekends and festivities. They don't crowd together all the time like it is here , but do spend quality time together. I feel that one needs to give space in any relationship, even our elders need to do things on their own and so do the youngsters !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.