Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Respect has to be earned not automatically expected by the elders. @ Usha has very rightly stated that most elders in West give enough space to youngsters and get to spend quality time with them periodically. It is when elders refuse to let the young manage their life as they want that the elders lose respect but blame Western culture and so on but never themselves.

I have seen in Bengaluru, parents,and senior citizens  along with kids hold interactive sessions generally in a nearby park, wherein, children and elders mixing freely expressing their views  freely and playing like friends. This gives the children an opportunity to express their views without fear and hesitation. This is what most of the Indian parents Lack. This habit enables the children to shape their personality when they grow up. At the same time developing a respect towards the elders. This is how elders earn respect in a most natural way.

I think even the elders don't expect us to listen them blindly. Respecting elders doesn't mean to follow them blindly but to admire them for their experience, wisdom and insight. Secondly respect is not confined to elders, it should be given to everyone irrespective of their age.

Thank you said by: chinmoymukherjee

Source of knowledge, be it a child or an octogenarian seer must be respected.

Gouri Dharmadhikari wrote:

I think even the elders don't expect us to listen them blindly. Respecting elders doesn't mean to follow them blindly but to admire them for their experience, wisdom and insight. Secondly respect is not confined to elders, it should be given to everyone irrespective of their age.

Elders or youngers one should jot follow them blindly. Rightly said one has to earn respect. 

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.