In 1947 the founding fathers selected India to be a democracy on the British model. But Historically ( Unlike Greek and Roman civilizations) India never had democracy right from the Vedic age. We had 900 years of Muslim rule followed by 190 years of british rule. ( No democracy). perhaps Indians do not need a democratic set up and need some form of discipline and "danda". What do all feel? I feel democracy as we see it is unsuitable for Indians as historically India was never a democratic state.

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

That has been the case world all over until the 19th century when countries began to become independent and leaned towards democracy since that is the most ideal form of governance although it comes with a price. I feel that India is good with democracy and we can never go back now ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Rakhi Yadav

I agree, democracy is not suitable for Indians. Remember the emergency period during 70s, that was the best time for Indian People.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

The type of government that suits to any  country, depends on the type of people in that particular country. By nature Indians love Hypocricy and double talk. We are lazy and enjoy idle talk and throwing mud on others. We are experts in passing the buck. In this scenario, the best type of government is "Whiplashing". For India.

Dear Usha, thank you for your comment. However it may please be noted that the west always had a tradition of democracy from the Greek civilization onwards. In England the "magna carta " saw Parliament made supreme in the 17th century and the USA started as a democracy in 1776. India started as a democracy 200 years later, thus  Indians never were  a democracy at any time in history.

Thank you Suni for agreeing with me. Yes, Indian always have obeyed the 'danda'.  Remember Jallianwala bagh. After the action of general Dyer, there was NEVER an agitation in Amritsar ever till the British left. I am not supporting the Jallianwala bagh incident but just quoting an example.

Yes Rambabu, the Indian genius is not supported for a democracy.  The Indians are lazy and indolent and want fruits without working hard. Hence all these agitations and almost 30% of territory lost to Maoists in Central India.

Thank you said by: rambabu

Great nations emerged out after centuries of sweat shedding. Nothing can be achieved by basking in the glory of the past. There is truth in your saying, "We Indians expect results without working.."

Democracy is modern concept. We can't think of 'Hindu democracy'  or for that matter of any theological democracy.  It may be feasible in countries with single religion domination to attempt theological democracy like 'Islamic, Christian etc.  Democracy means also rule of law and justice to all. But Hindu religion is basically caste based in which so called higher castes dominate. Hence, the upper castes may prefer 'Hindu Rashtra'  . But the dalits and minorities would be well with democracy tat allows religious freedom and equality irrespective of caste, creed, religion and gender.   

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I wonder what could have been a more rational and acceptabe alternative. If we take a world view of it we see more and more countries are embracing it after having experimented with other systems rather disastrously. I am quite shocked that glorification of "danda" could lead one to such an extreme and rather unsustainable position of citing 'Jhanialwala' masscre as Danda's success. The barbaric face of British imperialism burst upon the length and breadth of the world which many feel to have contained the seeds of ultimate demise of British rule. India may have a flawed but not a failed democracy.When we praise emergency we astoundingly forget the fact that the entire exercise was pepetrated on this nation to promote a son to rule this by subverting all constitutional dispensation. Let us keep it in mind while eulogizing 'danda' and whatever it stands for that a 'danda' is as best or worst as is wielded by those who hold it and the same applies to democratic polity!

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani, usha manohar

Religion and politics can never be separated and for long time communism consider religion is opium to politics but still most of communist countires prefer to support majority similarly, in democracy religion plays pivotal role. 

http://mohanmekap.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.