Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

@Chinmoy Mukherjee. I think we are digressing and I must make somethings clear. The british never came to India to emancipate Indians . They came as a trading company to earn money and make a profit. But over a course of time many Britishers made India their home and did a lot of good like setting up the high courts, railways, a system of education, the saving of monuments and translations of books like the Manusmiriti.

Much of the work was to help them govern India better, but when they left they left a framework of  a nation. If you read history you will realize the plight of the Hindus during Muslim rule. The British were a godsend  for Hindus. 

They were the rulers , yes but not tyrannical. At least they did not make pyramids of Hindu shulls like Muslim rulers.( read Baburnama) There were excesses like Jallianwala Bagh and the Bengal famine , but I have also read that partly the Bengal famine was due to the fact that rice from Burma could not come due to Japanese. There are so many points, but the worst critic of British rule will not deny that they gave us nationhood.

I agree Usha, we have to see the effect of any era in its totality. The British left behind a lot of good. Just think even the Khajuraho temples were reclaimed and restored by them, but as Nirad Chaudhuri has written they came to rule and earn money and one can't grudge them that. However the spin off for India as a nation and development far outweigh the  bad.

are hindu society predisposed and predefined towards democracy difficult to say.Joint family of Hindus are finest example of democracy. 

http://mohanmekap.com/

mohan manohar wrote:

are hindu society predisposed and predefined towards democracy difficult to say.Joint family of Hindus are finest example of democracy. 

How joint families are examples of democracy? They proved to be unsuitable for the present Nuclear family era.

MG Singh wrote:

I agree Usha, we have to see the effect of any era in its totality. The British left behind a lot of good. Just think even the Khajuraho temples were reclaimed and restored by them, but as Nirad Chaudhuri has written they came to rule and earn money and one can't grudge them that. However the spin off for India as a nation and development far outweigh the  bad.

Basically they were empire builders and conquerers , but many of them genuinely developed a liking for India and chose to remain here for a number of years . No doubt they came with selfish reasons but when they left it was with friendly ties and a vow to help India develop into a strong independent nation.They have contributed towards that and we have to look forward rather than backwards ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Though the British are Empire builders and conquerors all conquerors after looting and devastating the land leave with their loot like Ghazni. But British  chose to stay in India. For this they certainly need some amenities to conduct day to day activities. This is where they introduced Railways, built roads and bridges and introduced English and other  communication systems.

But i'm of the opinion, these became a blessing in disguise for Indians too. The bottom line is, over a period, after independence the measures introduced and implemente4d by the British stood in good stead in building an India of today.

Vedanta is the source of democracy, the ultimate OM or brahma, is the source of all powers and real power and provides genuine and attractive leadership where most of current democracy is adhere to. 

http://mohanmekap.com/

I am glad people realize the worth of British rule. I shudder as to what would have happened if there was no English rule

mohan manohar wrote:

Joint family was never a democratic effort. It was  male dominated and head who was probably oldest had all the say. Good it has broken up.

MG Singh wrote:

I am glad people realize the worth of British rule. I shudder as to what would have happened if there was no English rule

One should me magnanimous enough to give credit to the deserving .

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.