Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
rambabu wrote:

Coastal regions are vulnerable for erosion. I have seen During Hudhud, how my otherwise beautiful Vizag has been reduced to rambles. But, we did not learn the lessons. After the cyclone people vowed to see such things would nit repeat. But that was a momentary outburst. Again the same feverish building activity resumed in all it's glory.

Destruction of natural mangrove plantations and other coastal trees is the result that coastal areas are now suffering maximum damage during cyclones. Last year, if you remember I had posted a topic about how an entire village Malin in Maharashtra had been wiped away overnight due to major landslide, consequences of cutting down forests to make way for windmills. This year in June, during the two weeks that it rained in Maharashtra, we have seen almost 14 major landslides on different highways with the maximum occurring on Mumbai-Pune expressway, again a result of destroying the Sahyadri ranges. So many examples we keep seeing, but no one wakes up.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Coastal regions are vulnerable for erosion. I have seen During Hudhud, how my otherwise beautiful Vizag has been reduced to rambles. But, we did not learn the lessons. After the cyclone people vowed to see such things would nit repeat. But that was a momentary outburst. Again the same feverish building activity resumed in all it's glory.

Destruction of natural mangrove plantations and other coastal trees is the result that coastal areas are now suffering maximum damage during cyclones. Last year, if you remember I had posted a topic about how an entire village Malin in Maharashtra had been wiped away overnight due to major landslide, consequences of cutting down forests to make way for windmills. This year in June, during the two weeks that it rained in Maharashtra, we have seen almost 14 major landslides on different highways with the maximum occurring on Mumbai-Pune expressway, again a result of destroying the Sahyadri ranges. So many examples we keep seeing, but no one wakes up.

I very much remember the post you posted on landslides in which an entire village was wiped away. The same fate was met by many coastal regions in AP during Hudhud cyclone in Vizag which was the epicenterof the cyclone.

After the cyclone there wasmuch Sloganeering and millions of plants were planted, which dried up due to lack of maintenance now. This is the condition of awareness towards environment.

Much noise for few days and silence afterwards. What did we learn?

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

We also need to reduce noise pollution which has reached its zenith now...I find that drivers cannot drive without blaring horns at the slightest provocation and people speak at the top of their voice everywhere , in the bus, in the offices , banks even at home.Why dont we tone down, this has to be done consciously and children should be trained to speak softly and slowly without getting excited ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

And you can add our noisy festivals to the list. The devotees think that God is deaf. Which is why they vie with each other to sing Bhajans at the top of their voices in the festivals.

usha manohar wrote:

We also need to reduce noise pollution which has reached its zenith now...I find that drivers cannot drive without blaring horns at the slightest provocation and people speak at the top of their voice everywhere , in the bus, in the offices , banks even at home.Why dont we tone down, this has to be done consciously and children should be trained to speak softly and slowly without getting excited ..

By nature, Indians are very loudmouthed and loquacious and I think time is not far away when Indians, by rules of evolution, develop larger ears because of all the noise we hear everywhere! I am already dreading the Ganpati festival in another two months when our precious sleep and peace would be robbed by loud noise of DJs and sound systems everywhere.

In fact, the entire festival season which starts with Ganapati Puja is going to be a nightmare for me. The entire neighborhood will be reverberating with with Vulgar movie songs and devotees' ear piercing Bhajans. Thankfully in AP these noise polluting activities were restricted by the city authorities and Police department. All these noise polluting activities will be closed after 10 Pm..

rambabu wrote:

In fact, the entire festival season which starts with Ganapati Puja is going to be a nightmare for me. The entire neighborhood will be reverberating with with Vulgar movie songs and devotees' ear piercing Bhajans. Thankfully in AP these noise polluting activities were restricted by the city authorities and Police department. All these noise polluting activities will be closed after 10 Pm..

Even in Maharashtra the noise is restricted after 10 pm but these people have found a way around it. They do not play electronic or cinema music, they use dhols played by large groups of 20 or more people, saying it is traditional music. The noise is simply terrifying!

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Even in Maharashtra the noise is restricted after 10 pm but these people have found a way around it. They do not play electronic or cinema music, they use dhols played by large groups of 20 or more people, saying it is traditional music. The noise is simply terrifying!

Very true Kalyani law violators have many tricks up to their sleeve. Crime walks two steps ahead of the law and order.

But, if the law and order is strict in implementing its curbs, by going for surprise checks after 10 Pm around the city,  i think this noise pollution can be brought into control.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

By nature, Indians are very loudmouthed and loquacious and I think time is not far away when Indians, by rules of evolution, develop larger ears because of all the noise we hear everywhere! I am already dreading the Ganpati festival in another two months when our precious sleep and peace would be robbed by loud noise of DJs and sound systems everywhere.

That is an added disadvantage that we have now...N festivity is complete without a DJ and some performance by the local groups totally non connected but with thunderous noise making sure that the entire city remains awake half the night..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

That is an added disadvantage that we have now...N festivity is complete without a DJ and some performance by the local groups totally non connected but with thunderous noise making sure that the entire city remains awake half the night..

True Usha... and it is also the worst during the marriage season with people lighting loud crackers right into midnight as part of festivities. I wonder when the day will come when the well-educated brides and grooms themselves refuse such things. I am not much aware of the rest of India apart from, of course, Northern states, in Maharashtra it has become the regular norm to burn anything between the ranges of rs 20,000 to a whopping one lakh rupees, sometimes even more, on a single night of burning firecrackers!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.