Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
suni51 wrote:
rambabu wrote:
suni51 wrote:
rambabu wrote:

I would like to ask you a question. I'm sure you still remember Emergency imposed by Indira Raj. Do you think is anything short of Martial Law ? What great benefits this country got ?

That was one of the best periods for Indian common people. Everything was running smoothly, no black marketing, no strikes, everyone in the office at dot on time, no corruption, fewer crimes. The people (politicians and their supporters in whatever the fields) were against it because they were unable to adapt to their blackmailing politics during that period. But they are doing the same when there is no emergency. This country's politicians cannot live without total power in their own hands and when they see the power is slipping out of their hands they can go to any extent. People of this country come last in the list of their priorities, (maybe they are nowhere in that list).

Then,, after lifting the emergency ? What happened after lifting emergency :

I'm of the opinion, the Emergency is that it cannot be repeated. Leave aside the Constitutional safeguards and the hugely changed configuration of political forces. The material fact is that if Indira Gandhi's Emergency proved anything at all, it established that India would be governed, to the extent it can be governed, democratically or not at all.

You should have quoted the references

http://news.rediff.com/special/2010/jun/23/inder-malhotra-on-35-years-after-the-emergency.htm

Indeed, there are signs of a growing consensus that the Emergency was 'scripted jointly' by her and JP, as Jayaprakash Narayan was called by one and all. The country's premier sociologist, Andre Beteille, historian Bipan Chandra and scholar Ramchandra Guha agreed that the 'anarchy' that JP was promoting and the 'authoritarianism' of Indira Gandhi and her son, Sanjay, were the 'two sides of the same coin.' Some others ask whether the saintly JP was justified in 'inciting' the armed forces and the police to disobey the government.

My point is this- The position is more or less same as it was in 1975. It was Congress facing the music then and now Congress on the other side of the road. I do not say the ruling party is doing everything right.

Whether the ruling party is doing everything right or wrong is not relevant here. I equated Martial law with Emergency days.Then i have arrived at a conclusion that imposing Martial law is nothing but buying an evil to eradicate another evil.

rambabu wrote:
suni51 wrote:
rambabu wrote:
suni51 wrote:
rambabu wrote:

I would like to ask you a question. I'm sure you still remember Emergency imposed by Indira Raj. Do you think is anything short of Martial Law ? What great benefits this country got ?

That was one of the best periods for Indian common people. Everything was running smoothly, no black marketing, no strikes, everyone in the office at dot on time, no corruption, fewer crimes. The people (politicians and their supporters in whatever the fields) were against it because they were unable to adapt to their blackmailing politics during that period. But they are doing the same when there is no emergency. This country's politicians cannot live without total power in their own hands and when they see the power is slipping out of their hands they can go to any extent. People of this country come last in the list of their priorities, (maybe they are nowhere in that list).

I'm of the opinion, the Emergency is that it cannot be repeated. Leave aside the Constitutional safeguards and the hugely changed configuration of political forces. The material fact is that if Indira Gandhi's Emergency proved anything at all, it established that India would be governed, to the extent it can be governed, democratically or not at all.

http://news.rediff.com/special/2010/jun/23/inder-malhotra-on-35-years-after-the-emergency.htm

Indeed, there are signs of a growing consensus that the Emergency was 'scripted jointly' by her and JP, as Jayaprakash Narayan was called by one and all. The country's premier sociologist, Andre Beteille, historian Bipan Chandra and scholar Ramchandra Guha agreed that the 'anarchy' that JP was promoting and the 'authoritarianism' of Indira Gandhi and her son, Sanjay, were the 'two sides of the same coin.' Some others ask whether the saintly JP was justified in 'inciting' the armed forces and the police to disobey the government.

My point is this- The position is more or less same as it was in 1975. It was Congress facing the music then and now Congress on the other side of the road. I do not say the ruling party is doing everything right.

Whether the ruling party is doing everything right or wrong is not relevant here. I equated Martial law with Emergency days.Then i have arrived at a conclusion that imposing Martial law is nothing but buying an evil to eradicate another evil.

I don't think anyone is saying that we should sack the elected government (since that is not possible in our rule books) and bring martial law as imposed in some countries but to provide powers to law enforcement agencies to deal with stricter hands and army should play a role in that as they know how to handle rowdiness.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

suni51 wrote:
rambabu wrote:
suni51 wrote:
rambabu wrote:
suni51 wrote:
rambabu wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying that we should sack the elected government (since that is not possible in our rule books) and bring martial law as imposed in some countries but to provide powers to law enforcement agencies to deal with stricter hands and army should play a role in that as they know how to handle rowdiness

OK. I expressed my opinion. We cannot compare with other countries with India The rule is strictly according to the Constitution. Yes what all we need here is a strict implementation of the existing laws without any compromise. Presently Army is being used in case of extraordinary conditions l, when there are communal riots and Rescue operations during natural calamities. Now army is doing the same in Himachal Pradesh because of floods.

The claim that in emergency things had improved is not right. I give an example. A few months after emergency was declared I had to travel overnight to Delhi by train. When I approached the sleeper TTE for a berth he asked for Rs 10 as his cut. I protested that it is Rs 5.. He in a hush hush tone told me that there is emergency and higher risk means higher premium. So emergency increased the rates and the common man suffered. Replace the term emergency by Martial Law and the suffering for common man will continue.

Well said. I appreciate your comment, "Higher risk means higher premium." The word EMERGENCY should be erased from the mind forever.. Otherwise there is a risk of Bad dreams.

In Martial Law there is no feedback system which emboldens corrupt people to make money at very high rates as we see in China which is a one party rule with strong support of army.

I do not understand why this noise when there is  no specific or express provision in the Constitution that authorizes the executive to declare martial law.

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Martial does not simply happen nor will it be implemented according to the constitution .It will begin with civil unrest leading to civil war and then slowly either army and the one of the political party in league with the army will take control and bring in martial law...If there is to much unrest then things will happen automatically without any planning .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Under extraordinary conditions which threaten civil life, Martial law can be imposed. And, when the conditions come back to narmalcy Martial lawbill be removed. For permanently imposing Martial law, there is no such provision in Indian constitution.

rambabu wrote:

Under extraordinary conditions which threaten civil life, Martial law can be imposed. And, when the conditions come back to narmalcy Martial lawbill be removed. For permanently imposing Martial law, there is no such provision in Indian constitution.

Normally there is no provision for Martial law in any nations constitution , it happens after unrest and a coup..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.