Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

In a very simple language and in short too, you have explained the difference between knowledge and intelligence very accurately. Everyone can easily make out the difference between the two. An intelligent person has to be a well read person.

shampasaid

@Usha.

Admitting and recognizing the vital importance of environment which does provide stimuli in the growth and development of intelligence,how can we

hold that all we are born intelligent ignoring its non-sustainanability in the light of new discoveries in the field of science? When even in a family varying degrees of intelligence or its absence exist among its members,no such sweeping generalizations should be made. About reading and intelligence I have this real life story to add.Once the daughter of a serving judge developed a love affair and eloped with her lover much to the intense dislike and embarrassment of the judge who,being distraught with anger was planning all kinds of legal and not-so-legal actions to undo it.Then it fell to the lot of his semi-literate peon to advise his erudite master that all his madly planned action would fetch more disgrace and embarrassment for him and there the master relented!

All intelligent persons are not similar just as all duffers are not similar. It is these environment and one's reactions to it that shapes the nature of a person.There is a particular threshold above which one is supposed to be in possession of intelligence. Reading broadens intelligence as it equips one with knowledge which helps in decision making. Intelligence helps in grasping issues faster. How a person reacts is generally decided by his nature and the type of attitudes he has towards issues. Intelligence has nothing to do with it. We often see many of our intelligent leaders reacting in a regressive manner to issues of religion.

@Chinmoy

I may be wrong but from what I have seen many very well read intelligent people become irrational when it comes to emotional issues like their loved ones and family, they simply go berserk . The peon was probably more rational in hos thinking because he had no emotions attached to the issue. I guess even the most intelligent and well read people have their Achilles heel !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: chinmoymukherjee
@Usha I regard the biological source as the primary one and environment to be the facilitating source of intelligence which,to my mind,could be the only rational explanation for varying degrees of intelligence and stupidity both.Otherwise we would be having thousands of Vivekanandas nd Tagores in our midst!!

I agree Chinmoy, one has to have inherited genes and the right environment to bring up a genius . That's how we see some dullards in the same family.When you look at the great contributors in any field, the offspring in many cases  fail to live come up to their level. I guess there is imbalance somewhere either in their genes or their environment

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

@Usha That was the larger and exact point I was driving at and you have got it so well by summing it up aptly!
chinmoymukherjee wrote:@Usha I regard the biological source as the primary one and environment to be the facilitating source of intelligence which,to my mind,could be the only rational explanation for varying degrees of intelligence and stupidity both.Otherwise we would be having thousands of Vivekanandas nd Tagores in our midst!!

True and this is what Behavioral genetics is all about. Firstly, not all traits are inherited equally otherwise there would not be any variation .Secondly, environment affects the genes to bring about further differences. Differences therefore are seen among individuals in terms of intelligence, behavior, looks and various abilities such as art , craft, music etc.

There is saying in Sanskrit. Pandita Putra Sunthaha. Means a sholar's son need not be a scholar always. All traits of a parent generally need not be inherited by the children. In this respect, environment in and around the house and changing times play a key role in shaping a person.

@Usha That was the larger and exact point I was driving at and you have got it so well by summing it up aptly!

Thanks a lot Chinmoy..

Broadly speaking while well read people are intelligent or even brilliant, not all of them may be street smart or possess common sense.This is something we come across often with regard to scholars and scientists who fail to understand the value of inter personal relationships and other such issues. We have a family friend the name I would not like to disclose ,suffice to say he is a well known personality hailing from our part.He is brilliant, can speak on every subject possible but when it is a question of maintaining his relationships he is a total failure- bad vibes with siblings, two failed marriages, and two failed relationships,no rapport with his children ! Makes one think whether too much of intelligence take its toll on a person ?

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.