"Mothers and fathers play different roles in different cultures - these findings highlight the importance of these distinct gender-based power structures on a child's self-worth," said study co-author Alison Pike from University of Sussex in England.

In Indian cultures, fathers are considered to be the head of the family, in terms of power and their role as disciplinarian. These differences often remain in spite of immigration into Britain, the study said.

http://www.medindia.net/news/self-worth-of-indian-children-gets-impacted-by-fathers-role-154272-1.htm

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I listened that in North east state of India mother is head of family. In India father is head of family but children are close to mother.

In most of the Indian families, Father is the head of the family. Keeping this point in view Children's self worth is linked with the dominant parent. Very rarely you find Mother as the head of the family.

well i think that the main cause for low esteem in children is warmth, praise affection and interest 

bhuyali saroj

Self esteem gets created or broken only due to the environment of the family. Children grow up with self esteem only when they get nurtured with love and care in totality. If one of the parents do not express love for the child properly or humiliates the child or anyone at home then that child starts leading a fearful life and thus self esteem gets a big blow.

shampasaid

Self esteem be it in children or adults depends mainly on the parental treatment as well as on the environment outside. Children are prone to learning easily good or bad effortlessly. This trait in children should be known to the parents. And accordingly, parents adopt a suitable way. This is the only solution that raise or dip the self esteem levels in a child.

Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Self esteem gets created or broken only due to the environment of the family. Children grow up with self esteem only when they get nurtured with love and care in totality. If one of the parents do not express love for the child properly or humiliates the child or anyone at home then that child starts leading a fearful life and thus self esteem gets a big blow.

I agree with that, most of the time it is the parents or a close family member who is responsible for making the child lose his or her self confidence, which can have lasting impact in their lives. Some of the students I have come across are very social and good with their relationships while at school but parents come out with a different story of their being rude and revolting at every level.I feel the fault lies with the parents or home atmosphere, which they seldom accept nor take any measures to correct .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Shampa Sadhya

There is a saying, There is no better educational institute better  than  Home. And there are no better Acharyas or teachers better than Parents. Habits good or bad in a child start from the Home itself. And the attitude and behavior  of parents play a vital role in a Child's life.Children emulate their parents. If the parents are busy with their cell phone talk from dawn to dusk, the child also develops the habit. It is just an example.

There  are very simple ways to increase the self esteem levels in children. For example a child should be given small tasks under the supervision of the parents like asking the child to bring plate. And as the child grows the more household chores are to be entrusted with. Whenever a child  is successful parents should acknowledge it openly. Many parents fail to recognize this. A child if appreciated for its good deeds, the child feels that " I too can do independently. " This rises the self esteem of a child enormously.

Shampa Sadhya wrote:

yes it is right that the low esteem causes at home itself, so every parents should be aware of this and they should treat their children with love and affection 

bhuyali saroj

Thank you said by: Shampa Sadhya

To be very honest I must admit that there are many parents who never finds fault in themselves. Finally, when a bridge is created between the parents and their child then again the child is blamed for being aloof. This is the worst kind of parenting which in return creates vacuum in a child's life and he/she goes through a phase of low self-esteem. A person must learn to judge himself or else he/she will never be able to understand others and this should be practised by the parents too.

shampasaid

Parental ignorance is the root cause for many childhood problems. Interacting freely with the children will help the parents in identifying the Child's nature. Contrary to this many parents think interacting with children is not necessary. Such parents have the wrong impression interacting with children is childish. This ultimately leads to driving away the child in to a state of isolation. The child forms an opinion that he is a stranger in his own home. Subsequently it results in child's low esteem.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.