Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Bajirao wrote:

I think dowry and alimony are two different aspects hence comparison is not possible. Dowry is become a tradition, and only bride has to pay the dowry, regardless of being rich or poor. Alimony is paid be either spouse (can be husband or wife) who ever earns more. Alimony is paid to support the spouse life  after seperation. 

For so many years, Dowry tradition has been going on, where girls family has to pay huge amount to the grooms family, then why not alimony? Why can't rich husband pay off the amount to his poor wife ?  Time is changing, so accept it.

True. with changing times one has to accept many things. For instance, in many cases now, the courts have also granted alimony to be paid by the sons to their aged parents. Lately, I have been reading news of such cases where the parents have been left fending for themselves once they have educated their children and the children are doing very nicely but find it hard to give credit to their parents. So there is nothing wrong with alimony , the weaker partner or the parents as the case may be, have a right to claim alimony.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Alimony is given by spouses to each other as the case may be by court orders. Children are ordered to provide support to their neglected parents and it is not called alimony.

Shampa Sadhya wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Asking for dowry is a crime but it is still prevalent in our society. The girl's side must not give dowry in any circumstance because the men who accept dowry in marriage are not worthy to get married. Now, comes the question of alimony, regarding it I will second @usha manohar's opinion but with a minor twist. I would prefer ladies not to accept alimony from their husband with whom their relationship has gone sour and by doing so their self respect will rise. Yes, there are some circumstances when the divorced ladies are left with no choice and are willingly/unwillingly have to accept alimony. On the other hand I am against those ladies who file false cases to harass the husband and the in-laws. They in no way deserve alimony but if their is a child in between then certainly the man as a father has a responsibility towards his child so for his/her sake one must take care of the child's need such as education and all other requirements.

Like I said before it is not at all an easy matter to get alimony because family courts deliberate and after a lot of considerations think of granting alimony, so there is no question of any false case being encouraged by the court , which is as it is , is prejudiced against women !

It seems you got me a little wrong. I did not mean that court will encourage false case for alimony. I was talking about the fake domestic violence cases filed by the wives and when it gets proved that the wife's accusation was false then in that case divorce should be granted to the husband and alimony should not be given to her. That should be her punishment for ruining an entire family only because of her selfish desire. 

I am agree with you if some one file false case against husband than after divorce wife have not any right of alimony but she must be punished for defamation of husband. Only hard punishment can stop misuse of any law.

anil wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Asking for dowry is a crime but it is still prevalent in our society. The girl's side must not give dowry in any circumstance because the men who accept dowry in marriage are not worthy to get married. Now, comes the question of alimony, regarding it I will second @usha manohar's opinion but with a minor twist. I would prefer ladies not to accept alimony from their husband with whom their relationship has gone sour and by doing so their self respect will rise. Yes, there are some circumstances when the divorced ladies are left with no choice and are willingly/unwillingly have to accept alimony. On the other hand I am against those ladies who file false cases to harass the husband and the in-laws. They in no way deserve alimony but if their is a child in between then certainly the man as a father has a responsibility towards his child so for his/her sake one must take care of the child's need such as education and all other requirements.

Like I said before it is not at all an easy matter to get alimony because family courts deliberate and after a lot of considerations think of granting alimony, so there is no question of any false case being encouraged by the court , which is as it is , is prejudiced against women !

It seems you got me a little wrong. I did not mean that court will encourage false case for alimony. I was talking about the fake domestic violence cases filed by the wives and when it gets proved that the wife's accusation was false then in that case divorce should be granted to the husband and alimony should not be given to her. That should be her punishment for ruining an entire family only because of her selfish desire. 

I am agree with you if some one file false case against husband than after divorce wife have not any right of alimony but she must be punished for defamation of husband. Only hard punishment can stop misuse of any law.

Exactly, this is what I want to say. Be it a man or a woman, no one has the right to defame another family and ruin their lives. Kill one and get away with it. Yes, I know that in India women are mainly the sufferers of bad marriage and I have all my feelings with them but I am not with those women who misuse the law and spoil some innocent lives and vice versa. I have seen many cases like this and I can't accept and forgive people of this kind so I want them to be punished be it a man or a woman.   

shampasaid

I guess the Times of India reporters do not know that alimony is given only to spouses and not parents! Alimony, support, maintenance, call it whatever you like, it amounts to the same thing and that is 'to provide financial support to the ones who are left holding the wrong end of the stick.' So what problem is there if 'alimony' is paid to parents instead of support?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Old-parents-can-get-alimony-too/articleshow/611401.cms

Thank you said by: rambabu

Very informative article Kalyani. As early as 1975, the Supreme court clarified, the object of Section 125 Cr PC is "to provide  a Summary remedy to save dependents from destitution and vagrancy and thus to serve a Social purpose" Maintenance in alimony need not be restricted to estranged couples only.  Even children contest their parents' claim as a reasonable amount as alimony for survival.

This article removed all the misconceptions prevailing about Alimony.

Everybody should read this article.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

I guess the Times of India reporters do not know that alimony is given only to spouses and not parents! Alimony, support, maintenance, call it whatever you like, it amounts to the same thing and that is 'to provide financial support to the ones who are left holding the wrong end of the stick.' So what problem is there if 'alimony' is paid to parents instead of support?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Old-parents-can-get-alimony-too/articleshow/611401.cms

@Kalyani You shared a very meaningful link. This should be read by each and every son and daughter along with their spouses. I wonder why parents need to go to court and file case against their child/children for survival! Don't the children feel ashamed of themselves? There can be unnumbered differences or maybe parents are at fault but that can never give liberty to the children to leave their parents to starve or drive them away from home. This has to be a moral responsibility of every child towards their parents and guardians.

shampasaid

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

unfortunately if men file false case then he will behind bars and if women do so then then they are not behind bars

totally agreed with yyour post

Ashish wrote:

totally agreed with yyour post

Whose post do you agree with? Use a quote button if you want to to talk to a specific post, otherwise it is hard to understand what and to whom you are talking.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.