Veer savarkar is often portrayed by the RSS, Shiv Sena and BJP as a great patriot who opposed the British Raj. They point to the fact that he was  jailed at Port Blain by the English. 

But one fact is not published is that Veer savarkar  wrote a letter to teh Viceroy asking for pardon for his acts and promised to help the Raj. I reproduce his letter as written for all to read and judge.

I beg to submit the following points for your kind consideration:

………….May I remind your honour to be so good as to go through the petition for clemency, that I had sent in 1911, and to sanction it for being forwarded to the Indian Government? The latest development of the Indian politics and the conciliating policy of the government have thrown open the constitutional line once more. ……..I for one cannot but be the staunchest advocate of constitutional progress and loyalty to the English government which is the foremost condition of that progress.

Moreover my conversion to the constitutional line would bring back all those misled young men in India and abroad who were once looking up to me as their guide. I am ready to serve the Government in any capacity they like, where else can the prodigal son return but to the parental doors of the Government?

Hoping your Honour will kindly take into notion these points.”

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I don't know enough about him. I know only that he was a freedom fighter and also sentence for Kala Pani. I think it was his trick to release from kala pani. He was continued his activites as freedom fighter after released, He was not puppet of British.

anil wrote:

I don't know enough about him. I know only that he was a freedom fighter and also sentence for Kala Pani. I think it was his trick to release from kala pani. He was continued his activites as freedom fighter after released, He was not puppet of British.

Looks like he changed after his term in prison and he was so grateful to English that he never did any activity against Raj. My point is why is this man given so much honor. He never deserved it. The airport at Port Blair is named after him.

anil wrote:

I agree with you Anil. Veer Savarkar is a Patriot. I request M. G Singh to provide a proof to establish  that Savarkar was a stooge of the British. In the meanwhile, read this link about Veer Savarkar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinayak_Damodar_Savarkar

rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:

I agree with you Anil. Veer Savarkar is a Patriot. I request M. G Singh to provide a proof to establish  that Savarkar was a stooge of the British. In the meanwhile, read this link about Veer Savarkar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinayak_Damodar_Savarkar

I have read a lot about this man, but I have given the exact copy of his letter which he wrote  to viceroy.  He was incidentaly also an accused in Gandhi murder case

MG Singh wrote:
anil wrote:

Looks like he changed after his term in prison and he was so grateful to English that he never did any activity against Raj. My point is why is this man given so much honor. He never deserved it. The airport at Port Blair is named after him.

Yes he did it, but only to get free himself from jail. I read some where that he think that it is better to get released from jail by hook and crock and than work for nation, he did it.

Every none has some weakness. Possibly Veer Savarkar was chastened by harshness of imprisonment and in his weak moments wrote the letter. even the strongest has some weak moment. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

Every none has some weakness. Possibly Veer Savarkar was chastened by harshness of imprisonment and in his weak moments wrote the letter. even the strongest has some weak moment. 

I agree with you, but to put him up as a icon is wrong. BJP was also demanding Bharat ratna for him.  i have read his life. he belived in a uncompromising Hindu nationalism and was opponent of Gandhi, but he never went( after his release from jail) against the Raj.So many Indian spent time in cellular jail but never compromised, which Savarkar did. He was the mentor of Godse.

MG Singh wrote:
Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

I agree with you, but to put him up as a icon is wrong. BJP was also demanding Bharat ratna for him.  i have read his life. he belived in a uncompromising Hindu nationalism and was opponent of Gandhi, but he never went( after his release from jail) against the Raj.So many Indian spent time in cellular jail but never compromised, which Savarkar did. He was the mentor of Godse.

@ M.G. Singh

It's always essential to provide a proof by giving an appropriate web link so that the members can express their views in their own right. This is the reason why members provide Web links. Now I'm convinced. Because i found a proof. Here is the link. The other things related to Savarkar are opinions of respective members for which they are entitled.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Savarkar-had-begged-the-British-for-mercy/articleshow/8792427.cms

Thank you said by: MG Singh
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.