I had recently been to Coimbatore city.  It was a reception and a well educated and cultured woman, who, as it transpired, was seen wearing a sari with a nice sleeveless blouse.  Though many guests were happily chatting with her, a few were seen commenting about her dress.  Later that week, I was at Chittoor in AP, to attend another wedding reception.  At least two more women were seen wearing the sleeveless blouses and it did not look so glaring at all.  A couple of college girls also presented themselves in minis.  However, a few people were seen commenting on such dresses.  What surprised me was that the men were least bothered.  Only the middle aged women were seen commenting, and they were seen commenting in English. 

Why is that we are still not accepting people for what they are, and how they dress, whatever be it that they want to wear?  How do we change such opinions or comments?

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

It is the mindset of these women largely, they refuse to accept the changes that the young women want to embrace. Another reason that I can think of for such needless comments on other women's attire is, possibly an outcome of inferiority complex, the women who pass such comments are themselves unable to wear such outfits for some reason or quite possibly, unable to carry it off gracefully as the others. A matter of sour grapes!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Yes madam, I think it is a question of inferiority complex.  I do know one woman closely, and she did confess some one year ago, that she would happily wear a sleeveless blouse but her mother in law would object!!  And now it is the same woman commenting on that educated and nice lady, who is known to me personally

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

yeah this is usually because of jealousy, and this kind of mindset nobody can change. and many women comments also because they care for that person who is wearing that sort of a thing because they know the eyes of the world in which some of them have lust and badness. clothes are made to hide our body not to show others what skin complex we have 

bhuyali saroj

First impression is appearance. Dress is the first impression. How you address comes next.  When you dress in a bizarre way or behave differently, you attract attention and remarks.  It is not nice to comment on what some body wears but there is no way out.  There is a sound advice in Punjabi- Eat what you like but dress what others like.   

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

First impression is appearance. Dress is the first impression. How you address comes next.  When you dress in a bizarre way or behave differently, you attract attention and remarks.  It is not nice to comment on what some body wears but there is no way out.  There is a sound advice in Punjabi- Eat what you like but dress what others like.  

Then one has to be in ghongat only. 

shampasaid

The persons passing such comments are fast depleting in numbers. best to ignore them.

Wearing a sleeveless blouse is accepted almost everywhere. So I am surprised that comments were passed even on that , when ladies wear halter neck and off the shoulder blouses with sarees..how ever, I feel that one should ideally dress according to the occasion and also blend in rather than stick out and attract unwanted attention.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Shampa Sadhya wrote:

No. Ghoongat only for the newly wed and that too only in presence of elderly visitors.  No need for ghoonghat all the time. This is just a formality. Mostly women don't wear ghoonghat even in presence of elders. But for a newly wed this is considered desirable for at least first year. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Shampa Sadhya wrote:

No. Ghoongat only for the newly wed and that too only in presence of elderly visitors.  No need for ghoonghat all the time. This is just a formality. Mostly women don't wear ghoonghat even in presence of elders. But for a newly wed this is considered desirable for at least first year. 

After first year the daughter-in-law is free to wear whatever they want because only the first year demands decency. This is pathetic. I believe in a decent dressing sense and that can be either in Indian traditional attires as well as in western dresses. Even in Indian dresses one can dress up very indecently so why to make this fuss about dresses. Having gonghat and bitching elders can go together but not taking gonghat and paying respect to the elders do not match in your opinion, right? 

shampasaid

Shampa Sadhya wrote:

I think no one like women in ghongat. Listen song of Mehboob Ki Mehndi, "Ye jo chilman hai Dushman hai hamari,

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.