Supreme court passed a judgement which states that a hindu son can seek divorce from his wife if she tries to separate him from his parents..

Will the supreme court allow the other way round as well?? Or it is also upholding the patriarchial customs like the whole society

http://m.thehindu.com/news/national/hindu-son-can-divorce-wife-if-she-tries-to-separate-him-from-aged-parents/article9196572.ece

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I agree, this is like taking a step backwards, I was shocked when I read the news yesterday and apparently a judgment had already been given in Karnataka taking this into consideration. ..this will affect a whole lot of things adversely for women, who are having a troubled marriage , domestic violence and other related problems. The family court too wd be influenced by this brainless judgment.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: suni51

The Supreme Court would have decided keeping the actual traditions of Hindu society. Parents usually live with sons and not daughters. In rare or exceptional circumstances when parents have only daughters and no son, they would live with daughters.  Law and courts go according to general norms and not exceptions.  Any way, usually it is for families to decide their issues without involving courts. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Whole point is that only... Why should they live with sons... We are all talking gender equality n equal opportunity to women... Etc etc etc...but when it comes to our own family... We want our sons to take care of us... Daughter in laws to live as per our wish....ths idea needs to change... Both boy and girl are equal individuals... With equal responsibility towards the parents n in laws both

It has a lot to do with the mindset. In fact any couple regardless of age should live by themselves once they reach majority , even the elderly couple with grown up children. This also means careful financial planning for the future and keeping themselves fit and healthy. Why not let people , even your own children lad their lives the way they want. Here , Some families known to me have made some practical adjustments like having separate areas to themselves in the same house. This also helps in maintaining cordial relationship without stepping over each other.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

What Usha said is absolutely true...but to allow divorce for ths situation is like belittling the institution of marriage itself... Ths is could prove very harmful for ladies in our society where the women r already being iltreated for dowry etc 

Most of you are against this decision, but I am not. EVery society have some traditions. These are important. It is tradition in Hindus and peoples of others society that parents is liability of son. You are talking why parents can't live with daughters. You are right but, if parents decide to give equal share of their properties to their daughter, sons will agree for it? Never

anil wrote:

Most of you are against this decision, but I am not. EVery society have some traditions. These are important. It is tradition in Hindus and peoples of others society that parents is liability of son. You are talking why parents can't live with daughters. You are right but, if parents decide to give equal share of their properties to their daughter, sons will agree for it? Never

Let me put a situation to you.... As is happening many indian households... The girl does not bring enough dowry...after a few months of torture n trying to extract whatever they can from the bride ...they file the case saying she is trying to separate the parents... What will the bride do...who is at fault here.....

Next,  whether the man and wife stay with their parents or not it's a personal choice... It should not be used as a ground for divorce...and since you talked about traditions...since when did seeking divorce become a part of our tradition....

I'm sorry if am harsh here... But I can't come to terms with this judgement...it's downright partial...to say the least

anil wrote:

Traditions evolved with time and necessity and they can change again according to times. By the way it is now legal that both sons and daughters get an equal share in parents property, so no question of son ,opposing it..in an ideal situation parents dhd be looked after by the children but this depends on both parents and the children as to how best they are ready to compromise and adjust. 

Divya wrote:
anil wrote:

Let me put a situation to you.... As is happening many indian households... The girl does not bring enough dowry...after a few months of torture n trying to extract whatever they can from the bride ...they file the case saying she is trying to separate the parents... What will the bride do...who is at fault here.....

Next,  whether the man and wife stay with their parents or not it's a personal choice... It should not be used as a ground for divorce...and since you talked about traditions...since when did seeking divorce become a part of our tradition....

I'm sorry if am harsh here... But I can't come to terms with this judgement...it's downright partial...to say the least

First thing I am not in favor of dowry and any type of physical and mental harshement of bride. Noting will happen if some one file fake case, decision is hand of court.

Divorce is  not part of tradition it evil who spoiled many life.

anil wrote:
Divya wrote:
anil wrote:

First thing I am not in favor of dowry and any type of physical and mental harshement of bride. Noting will happen if some one file fake case, decision is hand of court.

Divorce is  not part of tradition it evil who spoiled many life.

Divorce is not a custom in Hindu culture. Husband and wife  are compared with a cart. They are supposed to execute with equal responsibility in maintaining the family.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.