Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Was bursting crackers a part of celebrating Diwali in a traditional way in old days?? Did they burst crackers in Ayodhya when Ram came back?? How is it killing our tradition and culture??

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

usha manohar wrote:
vijay wrote:

Old habits die hard. Now saying thank you is the new way of bursting crackers for gaining points.

The problem with you is wanting to criticize for the sake of doing so. The only point grabbing that is going on is by a member who is reading articles day in and day out after he has been banned from the forums.

If you analyse and see,  the person who thanks gets one point , whereas the person thanked gets 3 points and a post gains 5 points. From my point of view , when I want to acknowledge the contributions made by members I would rather thank  them rather than making posts thanking them and having little else to add  ... none of the active members are the kind wanting to grab points . So please stop insulting members with your imagined charges ...

I did not know that someone got banned from the forums. I was wondering that why his comments were missing. Thanking someone cannot be compared with writing meaningless statements on any thread. Well, thanking habit helps to maintain cordiality in the forum section and it encourages a healthy discussion. .   

shampasaid

Thank you said by: Arunima Singh
Arunima Singh wrote:

Was bursting crackers a part of celebrating Diwali in a traditional way in old days?? Did they burst crackers in Ayodhya when Ram came back?? How is it killing our tradition and culture??

Most and f the customs and traditions were adapted with time and  outside influences. Later they become a norm . 

https://www.quora.com/What-historical-connection-is-there-between-firecrackers-and-Diwali-When-did-Indians-start-bursting-crackers-and-how-did-it-become-a-part-of-our-culture

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
Arunima Singh wrote:

Most and f the customs and traditions were adapted with time and  outside influences. Later they become a norm . 

https://www.quora.com/What-historical-connection-is-there-between-firecrackers-and-Diwali-When-did-Indians-start-bursting-crackers-and-how-did-it-become-a-part-of-our-culture

So let's get back to old peaceful tradition for the sake of environment and our health

Arunima Singh wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Arunima Singh wrote:

So let's get back to old peaceful tradition for the sake of environment and our health

Honestly , the good old simple days were so meaningful . Less is more was what we thought rather than the other way round. I have parents constantly complaining about their children losing interest in toys , gadgets after a week or so wanting new ones . During my childhood we would play iny ancestral home sitting in a broken down shed on a wooden crate on which my mother would spread one of her old sarees folded , so that it is comfortable to sit on , paying with hand made dolls and enjoying every minute in f it. It was the same during Deepavavali festival , when a limited amount of crackers would be bought and we would make sure it would last through the festivities..we got more joy out of being together with friends and family .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I am not against saying thank you. But it should be said for something novel or interesting. Otherwise it is a mutual thank you club. Now you will respond acidically and receive thank you and then you will reciprocate and it will go on. Choice is yours.

Given choice I would be happy if the admin dos away with points for thank you like it was done for likes. Even regarding article reading it WD be better if there is some form of regulation and limit as to the number of articles that carry points per day , then one can go around thanking and reading as much as one wishes ..

usha manohar wrote:

Given choice I would be happy if the admin dos away with points for thank you like it was done for likes. Even regarding article reading it WD be better if there is some form of regulation and limit as to the number of articles that carry points per day , then one can go around thanking and reading as much as one wishes ..

That's a good suggestion.

Now coming to your description of old days, I felt nostalgic. Simplicity of life was so captivating. I remember, we used to wash old cotton dhotis and saris and cut them into pieces. All of us children would sit around on verandah making wicks for diyas and chatting after our school. Preparation for festivals were so fun and followed a annual rhythm. So much of bonding happened. We made wicks, laddoos, other sweets and delicacies. It was a fun time with cousins. Preparation began a few weeks before the festival. 

As it is said that change is a part of our lives but some changes which have pushed us far away from our roots are the worst changes ever. Change for the good is fine but now we find ourselves alone. Companionship is not longed for because digital activity is highly sought after. I remember helping my mother and aunts in making sweet dishes during Durga Puja but now we prefer to purchase ready-made ones. By doing so we not only miss the homemade flavour but we miss those loving interactions, sharing time with the family and so on. One thing is for sure we have nothing to pass on as heritage to our next generation which is shameful. 

shampasaid

I make a few sweets at home for Deepavavali like coconut barfi , Rava ladoo and kheer , which are all very easy to prepare . I remember my childhood days when my mother used to prepare several varieties of sweets and snacks which would last for days . 

As far as crackers are concerned , an old couple in our neighborhood who have lost both their children in an accident , make it a point to visit an orphanage located on the outskirts of the city , with sweets, candles  and some crackers so that the children get to enjoy Diwali. Somehow crackers and fireworks have become part of our childhood memories  which we want to pass on to the next generation.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.