The tense situation in Kashmir is leading to many suicides. Last year 92 personnel committed suicide. This is a large number and shows the army welfare organization is cracking. There are many factors for this and the most important is the state of mind of the soldier and his reputation in society vis a vis his civil counterparts.Compensation is a big factor and denying OROP as per resolution of parliament and Koshiary commission is at the forefront.  Modi better beware. How does he enforce India's status in the world with an army that may in time to come refuse to fight whole heart? Readers must remember soldiers retire early some at 36 and must be compensated. Will Modi go the Nehru way?

http://zeenews.india.com/jammu-and-kashmir/3-soldiers-posted-in-jammu-and-kashmir-commit-suicide-in-4-days-2088528.html

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

That is a staggering number & a new & unknown thing that suicides happen in Military as well!

I think apart from OROP, there needs to be increment in salaries as the government employees get as per the Pay Commission hikes, same hikes should be given to military as well, atleast that percentage of increase.

After all the amount of hardwork & risk involved cannot be compensated in money.

Life is like a boat in a sea, there is a lot to learn, so never close your mind to your limited experiences!

epraneeth77 wrote:

That is a staggering number & a new & unknown thing that suicides happen in Military as well!

I think apart from OROP, there needs to be increment in salaries as the government employees get as per the Pay Commission hikes, same hikes should be given to military as well, atleast that percentage of increase.

After all the amount of hardwork & risk involved cannot be compensated in money.

You are right but the Indian governments from Nehru to Modi consider the Armed Forces an hnnecessary appendage.  This is reason India cannot even thrash Pakistan which is 1/5 of India. Till this mind set changes I fear the worst for India. 

Thank you said by: epraneeth77

The armed forces are keeping the country united. Think,  in case army is withdrawn from Kashmir and North East will India remain united.?  These states will secede from India,  so the importance of the armed forces must be realized by Modi.  Sadly he is going the Nehru way.  The situation is so bad that now servicemen have approached the Supreme Court for their rights. This should never have happened but who will tell Modi that army is not another government dept

Thank you said by: Arunima Singh

I hope the government gets aware and takes measures to uplift army personnel. One has to get full support and motivation to serve the Nation whole heartedly. 

Sadly, In our country political interest is always above everything. Many a times these issues are also politicized.

I expect Modi Government to not overlook this and take right measures before it is too late.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Thank you said by: MG Singh
Arunima Singh wrote:

I hope the government gets aware and takes measures to uplift army personnel. One has to get full support and motivation to serve the Nation whole heartedly. 

Sadly, In our country political interest is always above everything. Many a times these issues are also politicized.

I expect Modi Government to not overlook this and take right measures before it is too late.

Very good thoughts but the political class dies not care about unity of India.  I have read that the earlier president Dr Rajendra Prasad made a statement that India dies not need army and should be disbanded.  How silly can the political leadership get.  Mindset has not changed and includes Midi. 

A closely related fact is the money spent on the armed forces.  In a discussion on Republic channel it was brought out that India spends the least of GDP on armed forces and for this 68% of army weaponry and equipment including shoes is poor quality or obsolete.  China and ALL western democracies spend 2-3% of GDP on Def while India is at 1.5%. This tells it's own tale

The Government needs to make a serious efforts to motivate armies. A few years back, I read an article where it was mentioned that in spite of being such a well respected profession, people are not getting motivated enough to join armies especially at higher ranked post. So lot of posts are lying vacant. I hope situations have improved by now. 

Whenever, the nation faces any kinds of emergencies, its the armies who come forward with their services. They should be given more respect.

Thank you said by: Arunima Singh

I wish the government thinks the way you have written. 

I have heard that OROP was given, was it withdrawn subsequently? There was a lot of praise given after OROP was given, was it subsequently taken away?

Life is like a boat in a sea, there is a lot to learn, so never close your mind to your limited experiences!

MG Singh wrote:
Arunima Singh wrote:

Very good thoughts but the political class dies not care about unity of India.  I have read that the earlier president Dr Rajendra Prasad made a statement that India dies not need army and should be disbanded.  How silly can the political leadership get.  Mindset has not changed and includes Midi. 

I think Modi has given the freedom for the Indian Army to go ahead for any actions to take like the surgical strike & even OROP was sanctioned. Even Akshay kumar has opened an account the funds of which will be used for the Defence personnel. But much more progress on this front is required.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.