Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
MG Singh wrote:

I will just add a most famous quote by Nirad Choudhry. 

To the memory of the British Empire in India,

Which conferred subjecthood upon us,
But withheld citizenship.
To which yet every one of us threw out the challenge:
"Civis Britannicus sum"
Because all that was good and living within us
Was made, shaped and quickened
By the same British rule.”

Who will like to deny this?

This is something even my parents ad grand parents say, that life was much better under the briish for common man , although they looted us left right and center . Most things we take for granted today was introduced by them , including many social reforms ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

MG Singh wrote:

I will just add a most famous quote by Nirad Choudhry. 

To the memory of the British Empire in India,

Which conferred subjecthood upon us,
But withheld citizenship.
To which yet every one of us threw out the challenge:
"Civis Britannicus sum"
Because all that was good and living within us
Was made, shaped and quickened
By the same British rule.”

Who will like to deny this?

HA HA HA HA! What a quote! The perfect example of the brainwashing and Anglicization of Indians by the British. Do you even realise that you actually make it sound like Indians were nothing more than uncivilized barbaric fools with no brains until the British came and saved us from ourselves? True that they brought postal service, railways etc. etc. in India but they did it for themselves, more precisely to facilitate transferring of wealth and riches that belonged to us into their own coffers! Do you know that textile produced on Indian handlooms by Indian weavers was one of the best in the world and the first thing that British did was to take away the fine cotton produced in India to Manchester and then making us buy that same cotton at very heavy prices?? The purpose of this was clear, to increase their wealth by selling that cotton to other countries as well and at the same time depriving our looms and weavers of raw goods so that ultimately, Indian textile industry died away. This is just one example. Another example of the amazingly wonderful British Raj in India is the Great Bengal Famine in 1770 which was engineered by the British. I have given a link, if possible do read and try to clear the layers of ignorance or whatever it is that is there on your eyes! I do respect British for their some admirable qualities, I have worked closely with them and I still have many close British friends. But saying that they were our saviors and we are where we are due to them would be a great insult to our culture, tradition and everything that our freedom fighters fought for!

https://yourstory.com/2014/08/bengal-famine-genocide/

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: suni51, jabeen

I think this article sums up the British rule without being biased ...both the cons which were many and the pros which were few ! However , their rule was far better than that of Mughal who not only never left but ruled violently and made sure that we would be permanently divided because of their fanatical rigipus conversions. .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

I think this article sums up the British rule without being biased ...both the cons which were many and the pros which were few ! However , their rule was far better than that of Mughal who not only never left but ruled violently and made sure that we would be permanently divided because of their fanatical rigipus conversions. .

I wouldn't say that the British were better than Mughals, both were equally horrible and repressive in different ways. Only thing is we can thank the Brits for the various modern things they left behind such as railways etc. But we cannot forget that they did destroy the moral fibre of our society big time and destroyed opur education system, our sense of aesthetics and many other factors by planting a seed of revulsion towards our own culture and religion, the fruits of which are still leaving a bitter aftertaste in our mouth even now. So in retrospect, there really is nothing that we can thank the British for!

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

I wouldn't say that the British were better than Mughals, both were equally horrible and repressive in different ways. Only thing is we can thank the Brits for the various modern things they left behind such as railways etc. But we cannot forget that they did destroy the moral fibre of our society big time and destroyed opur education system, our sense of aesthetics and many other factors by planting a seed of revulsion towards our own culture and religion, the fruits of which are still leaving a bitter aftertaste in our mouth even now. So in retrospect, there really is nothing that we can thank the British for!

The very fact that the Mughals and the British could come here , rule us for centuries and then leave their imprint on us shows how weak we were and still are as a people. We still run after foreigners and bow down before power , to the extent we are willing to destroy what was ours in preference to theirs. British were here to rule and they are known to be cunning and knew how to get their way, the very reason how they ended up ruling half the world. But India being a bigger nation with such a strong culture and heritage was swept away because of the weak fabric .. 

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Nothing to thank the British for ? My my!  They gave everything we see TODAY including the concept of a nation. Not forgetting giving a higher status to Hindus than under Muslims jizzia etc and all. Dont forget its the british who saved all monuments brought ancient Hindu texts to the world. Thus the words of india greatest writer in english Nirad Choudhry ring true.

MG Singh wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Nothing to thank the British for ? My my!  They gave everything we see TODAY including the concept of a nation. Not forgetting giving a higher status to Hindus than under Muslims jizzia etc and all. Dont forget its the british who saved all monuments brought ancient Hindu texts to the world. Thus the words of india greatest writer in english Nirad Choudhry ring true.

Hindus were not always being ruled by Muslims, a point which you seem to conveniently forget. There was Hindu rule BEFORE and along with the Muslim rule and it was illustrious as well. Who said that British saved all monuments? Maybe they did save a few but they also destroyed several beautiful forts in Maharashtra for the sole reason of kill the morale of the people and to diminish the threat against them. Did British really give a higher status to Hindus??? where did you dig this from??? Some anglicised author like Nirad C? All they did was educate a few in their own theories and philosophy and plant hate and doubt in their minds against the Hindu philosophy and culture....is that what you call as uplifting status?? and if you think that it was the British who brought ancient Hindu texts all by themselves then you intend to say that Hindus cannot do a single thing on their own. Do not forget that the British always had a policy of appeasing and pleasing Muslims and did all they could to keep them happy as opposed to their repressive policy against Hindus. It was they who sowed the seed of present day Hindu-Muslim divide..

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

The very fact that the Mughals and the British could come here , rule us for centuries and then leave their imprint on us shows how weak we were and still are as a people. We still run after foreigners and bow down before power , to the extent we are willing to destroy what was ours in preference to theirs. British were here to rule and they are known to be cunning and knew how to get their way, the very reason how they ended up ruling half the world. But India being a bigger nation with such a strong culture and heritage was swept away because of the weak fabric .. 

If the fabric was so weak then India would have been declared a Muslim country long ago and you and I would have had to wear a Hijab. It is not the fault of the Hindu culture as a whole that the invaders found rich and congenial soil here to rule and oppress but the philosophy of tolerance, the teachings of nonviolence preached by Buddha which were not at all relevant or feasible in times of turmoil which led to further weakening in the unity of forces against invaders and the presence of cowardly and treacherous Jaichands, the likes of whom are found even today., some of them even here on the forum all the time trying to sing praises of British and Muslims and further demoralizing Hindus !Now that when Modi and his people are trying to bring back some of our lost glory, people are still singing praises of congress and Muslims!

I am scared of the current scenario and how things are going against Modi and most of them are the misunderstanding and mislead by opposition party. If Modi goes out, I am sure that it is done deal for my generation to see India on a progressive path. The political drama, circus and corruption will be back with a full swing.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Arunima Singh wrote:

I am scared of the current scenario and how things are going against Modi and most of them are the misunderstanding and mislead by opposition party. If Modi goes out, I am sure that it is done deal for my generation to see India on a progressive path. The political drama, circus and corruption will be back with a full swing.

Congress government in Rajasthan is trailer. First they went to RG for deciding who will be CM, than again they went to RG for deciding name of ministers,and now again went to RG for deciding portfolio for ministers. Is it democracy?

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.