Cities such as Copenhagen and São Paulo have banned motor vehicles in some parts of the city. Do you think that we too need any such steps to control pollution in our cities ? Do you think that Indian government will be ever able to take such strong steps ? Because even a small thing causes protests all over the country.

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

That might work in other countries. Though the idea is great and can be implemented but it might not be practical in a country like India. India runs on populist decisions and any strict decision faces a lot of protest.

Moreover government has to do a lot of development in public transportation and parking spaces and other things before implementing it. Just imposing it in current situation will be lot of inconvenience to all.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Though controlling pollution is the need of the hour, banning motor vehicles in certain parts of the city might not be feasible in the present situation. As Arunima has rightly pointed out, lots of preparation needs to be done before such a measure is taken.

Transportation is rightly considered as basic needs. If motor vehicles have to be banned, should people expect non polluting rickshaws and cycles or animals drawn chariots to be the main means of transport? But these are slow means of transport and people might not like it.

This is prevalent in almost all European countries where there are tourist spots and shopping malls . In Bangalore a few years back Brigade road was closed for traffic on an experimental basis. But the indisciplined two wheelers would somehow manage to ride and then even car owners found their way through other connecting roads   ..a anation that is corrupt and does not follow any rules and regulations , it simply does not work. Indians are far too selfish and don't care about looking after nor maintaining public places ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Bane on motor vehicle in whole city is not possible but to control pollution government can bane use of petrol of diseal vehicles in specific area of city.

There are some such places in India too where motor transport is not allowed. One such place is Matheran in Maharashtra, a hill station where you can take your car only upto the outskirts of the town and from there on you have to go on foot or cycle around or ride a horse. But such initiative is needed in many cities, the concept is still new for India but once implemented will slowly take roots.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

There are some such places in India too where motor transport is not allowed. One such place is Matheran in Maharashtra, a hill station where you can take your car only upto the outskirts of the town and from there on you have to go on foot or cycle around or ride a horse. But such initiative is needed in many cities, the concept is still new for India but once implemented will slowly take roots.

Later or sooner we must be do it to protect our self from pollution. E-vehicle is also good alternative.

anil wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Later or sooner we must be do it to protect our self from pollution. E-vehicle is also good alternative.

E-vehicles is a good alternative but again, it takes up lot of space and contributes to traffic jams.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: suni51

As Kalyani mentioned almost all hill stations in North India do not allow 4 wheeler traffic on city roads. For instance, no vehicular traffic is permitted in TalliTal to Mallital in Nainital, Mall road Mussorie and The Ridge Shimla during day time or diverted via alternate routs. 

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Yes heard of it. That reason is only preventing me from visiting there. I heard we have to walk huge distances in Matheran on foot.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

You mean to say that motor vehicles are not allowed in the whole town?? In that case, won't it be inconvenient for small children while going to schools or for taking very ill patients to the hospitals?

I am still amazed about the existence of such places.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.