Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

Category: Discussions 6 months ago

Today is Lohri famous festival of Punjab and tomorrow is Makar Sankrati., festival of North India. Happy lohri and Makar Sakranti.

https://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/art-and-culture/lohri-2019-date-history-importance-significance-of-lohri-festival-in-india/

 

Like it on Facebook, +1 on Google, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    Here we celebrate Makara Sankranti today and tomorrow. It is also called Pongal in Tamil Nadu. They make a special dish called pongal with rice ,dhal and spices and a sweet version of it with jaggery and nuts ..


    Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!


  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    We are celebrating Bhogi today and Makar Sankranti tomorrow, the celebrations actually go on until the day of Rath Saptami. Tonight I will be preparing the traditional Bhogi meal which consists of a khichadi of rice and moong dal, Bajra Bhakri with sesame seeds, a mix sabji called Lekurwali bhaji which contains vegetable such as brinjals, new potatoes, carrots, different kinds of broad beans, fresh green toor dane, fresh chickpeas etc. prepared in masala of roasted sesame, groundnuts, ginger etc. Tomorrow we make sweets such as tilgul, jaggery roti called gulachi poli etc. All of this is generously smothered in ghee and also fresh white butter is served along with the Bajra bhakri.


    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
    - W. C. Fields :)


    Thank you said by: epraneeth77

  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    Today is Bhogi in Telangana and tomorrow Makara Sankranthi, Wish all of you a happy Bhogi and Makara Sankranthi.


  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    usha manohar wrote:

    Here we celebrate Makara Sankranti today and tomorrow. It is also called Pongal in Tamil Nadu. They make a special dish called pongal with rice ,dhal and spices and a sweet version of it with jaggery and nuts ..

    Hoping you are enjoying special dishes Pongal. Here we also eat local sweet Ghewar. It is festival to donate some thing to poor.


  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

    We are celebrating Bhogi today and Makar Sankranti tomorrow, the celebrations actually go on until the day of Rath Saptami. Tonight I will be preparing the traditional Bhogi meal which consists of a khichadi of rice and moong dal, Bajra Bhakri with sesame seeds, a mix sabji called Lekurwali bhaji which contains vegetable such as brinjals, new potatoes, carrots, different kinds of broad beans, fresh green toor dane, fresh chickpeas etc. prepared in masala of roasted sesame, groundnuts, ginger etc. Tomorrow we make sweets such as tilgul, jaggery roti called gulachi poli etc. All of this is generously smothered in ghee and also fresh white butter is served along with the Bajra bhakri.

    Here in my yesterday was Lohri and today and tomorrow is Sankranti. Celebrations in you area is much great than my area. Here sankarani is associated with donation. We also cook here Kichhadi but it is of Bazara. Sankaranti festival in your area is big one like Deepawali. Here in my area kite flying is also ritual of Sankranti. 


    Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    epraneeth77 wrote:

    Today is Bhogi in Telangana and tomorrow Makara Sankranthi, Wish all of you a happy Bhogi and Makara Sankranthi.

    In my area Sankranti is of two days. 14 Jan. and 15 Jan. Happy Bhogi and Makar Sankranti.


  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    anil wrote:
    usha manohar wrote:

    Here we celebrate Makara Sankranti today and tomorrow. It is also called Pongal in Tamil Nadu. They make a special dish called pongal with rice ,dhal and spices and a sweet version of it with jaggery and nuts ..

    Hoping you are enjoying special dishes Pongal. Here we also eat local sweet Ghewar. It is festival to donate some thing to poor.

    Last month I visited a Rajasthani family in Mumbai and they had served us Ghewar and it was very different and very tasty ..we too donate food also give new dresses, sarees to maids and others who work for us .


    Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!


  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    Wish you all a happy lohri and makar sankranthi.


    When opportunity is in front of you, don't hesitate to catch it. It will never come to you again. - Maverick


    Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar, usha manohar

  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    anil wrote:
    Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

    We are celebrating Bhogi today and Makar Sankranti tomorrow, the celebrations actually go on until the day of Rath Saptami. Tonight I will be preparing the traditional Bhogi meal which consists of a khichadi of rice and moong dal, Bajra Bhakri with sesame seeds, a mix sabji called Lekurwali bhaji which contains vegetable such as brinjals, new potatoes, carrots, different kinds of broad beans, fresh green toor dane, fresh chickpeas etc. prepared in masala of roasted sesame, groundnuts, ginger etc. Tomorrow we make sweets such as tilgul, jaggery roti called gulachi poli etc. All of this is generously smothered in ghee and also fresh white butter is served along with the Bajra bhakri.

    Here in my yesterday was Lohri and today and tomorrow is Sankranti. Celebrations in you area is much great than my area. Here sankarani is associated with donation. We also cook here Kichhadi but it is of Bazara. Sankaranti festival in your area is big one like Deepawali. Here in my area kite flying is also ritual of Sankranti. 

    Thanks Anil. Yes, we celebrate Sankranti in a rather big way but not as big as Diwali. People in rural areas and a few in cities also prepare Bajra Khichadi, my mother also used to prepare it on Sankranti during our childhood. But now due to reduced families and lack of time very few people prepare it. In Maharashtra, we also observe a special ritual called Haldi-Kumkum for and by married ladies. Starting from Sankranti to Rath Saptami, ladies visit each others' homes all decked up in finery and exchange haldi kumkum, paan-supari, fresh flower garlands and a small gift which is called Vaanvasa, which can be anything that is useful in the home or even packets of sugar, jaggery or rice. This is to express good wishes for each other and to pray for akhan saubhagya for the married women.  This is Kite flying is also another popular activity associated with Sankranti.


    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
    - W. C. Fields :)


  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    Sankranthi is one of the most happy times for an individual I guess, Flying kites, people and friends bonding on the terraces for a casual time while flying kites and children getting entertained watching the flying kites are one of the most happy scenes.

    However it is essential to fly kites after 10 and stop by the evening to avoid any casualties to birds who come out in the morning from 7 to 10 for food for their children and then go back to their homes after 5 or 6. In this way we can enjoy the festival thoroughly. Also one should avoid flying kites on an unprotected terraces. Bikers should drive carefully as the cut kites thread may get them entangled seriously if they drive fast. One should never try to pull the kites stuck in electric poles wires as there is a good chance of electrocution.

    This Sankranthi I enjoyed my time watching movies and enjoying the music filled atmosphere of the surroundings apart from the bright sunshine and warmth that enveloped the Hyderabad City.


You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.