Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

Category: Discussions 7 months ago
Like it on Facebook, +1 on Google, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    In Mangalore we had a river festival organised for the first time at two very scenic spots called Bangra Kuloor and Sultan Battery, where the river merges with the sea. It was for two days of Sankranti and there were launch and boat rides, music festival , local dance competitions , the usual sea foodfstalls , all in all a lot of fun ...


    Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!


  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    usha manohar wrote:

    In Mangalore we had a river festival organised for the first time at two very scenic spots called Bangra Kuloor and Sultan Battery, where the river merges with the sea. It was for two days of Sankranti and there were launch and boat rides, music festival , local dance competitions , the usual sea foodfstalls , all in all a lot of fun ...

    It seems a much better festive environment to be a part of than to be in the City. Here in Hyderabad Parade Grounds and NTR Grounds are good for flying kites and watching different types of Kites. This time in Parade Grounds Kites festival was organized.

    The arrangements at your place looks much like an Exhibition kind!


  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    usha manohar wrote:

    In Mangalore we had a river festival organised for the first time at two very scenic spots called Bangra Kuloor and Sultan Battery, where the river merges with the sea. It was for two days of Sankranti and there were launch and boat rides, music festival , local dance competitions , the usual sea foodfstalls , all in all a lot of fun ...

    I have heard about the river festival but didn't know it was a part of Sankranti celebration. 

    In our part, Sankranti is not celebrated in a grand manner. We believe that one should eat a sweet called kaangsubi made of jaggery and sesame seeds. Otherwise we ll be reborn as dog


    Thank you said by: usha manohar

  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    jabeen wrote:
    usha manohar wrote:

    In Mangalore we had a river festival organised for the first time at two very scenic spots called Bangra Kuloor and Sultan Battery, where the river merges with the sea. It was for two days of Sankranti and there were launch and boat rides, music festival , local dance competitions , the usual sea foodfstalls , all in all a lot of fun ...

    I have heard about the river festival but didn't know it was a part of Sankranti celebration. 

    In our part, Sankranti is not celebrated in a grand manner. We believe that one should eat a sweet called kaangsubi made of jaggery and sesame seeds. Otherwise we ll be reborn as dog

    Til or sesame seeds and Jaggery seems to be a common factor associated with this festival all over India. We too make a sweet dish with beaten rice to which roasted sesame seeds, jaggery, sugar cane pieces,bananas are added


    Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!


    Thank you said by: epraneeth77

  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
    anil wrote:
    Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

    We are celebrating Bhogi today and Makar Sankranti tomorrow, the celebrations actually go on until the day of Rath Saptami. Tonight I will be preparing the traditional Bhogi meal which consists of a khichadi of rice and moong dal, Bajra Bhakri with sesame seeds, a mix sabji called Lekurwali bhaji which contains vegetable such as brinjals, new potatoes, carrots, different kinds of broad beans, fresh green toor dane, fresh chickpeas etc. prepared in masala of roasted sesame, groundnuts, ginger etc. Tomorrow we make sweets such as tilgul, jaggery roti called gulachi poli etc. All of this is generously smothered in ghee and also fresh white butter is served along with the Bajra bhakri.

    Here in my yesterday was Lohri and today and tomorrow is Sankranti. Celebrations in you area is much great than my area. Here sankarani is associated with donation. We also cook here Kichhadi but it is of Bazara. Sankaranti festival in your area is big one like Deepawali. Here in my area kite flying is also ritual of Sankranti. 

    Thanks Anil. Yes, we celebrate Sankranti in a rather big way but not as big as Diwali. People in rural areas and a few in cities also prepare Bajra Khichadi, my mother also used to prepare it on Sankranti during our childhood. But now due to reduced families and lack of time very few people prepare it. In Maharashtra, we also observe a special ritual called Haldi-Kumkum for and by married ladies. Starting from Sankranti to Rath Saptami, ladies visit each others' homes all decked up in finery and exchange haldi kumkum, paan-supari, fresh flower garlands and a small gift which is called Vaanvasa, which can be anything that is useful in the home or even packets of sugar, jaggery or rice. This is to express good wishes for each other and to pray for akhan saubhagya for the married women.  This is Kite flying is also another popular activity associated with Sankranti.

    What you write here, after reading it I am again saying that celebration of Sankaranit is much more better and great than in my area. Here it is ritual that women gift 14 item to other females. Each year they gift new items. means item which they gifted once don't gift it again.


  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    epraneeth77 wrote:

    Sankranthi is one of the most happy times for an individual I guess, Flying kites, people and friends bonding on the terraces for a casual time while flying kites and children getting entertained watching the flying kites are one of the most happy scenes.

    However it is essential to fly kites after 10 and stop by the evening to avoid any casualties to birds who come out in the morning from 7 to 10 for food for their children and then go back to their homes after 5 or 6. In this way we can enjoy the festival thoroughly. Also one should avoid flying kites on an unprotected terraces. Bikers should drive carefully as the cut kites thread may get them entangled seriously if they drive fast. One should never try to pull the kites stuck in electric poles wires as there is a good chance of electrocution.

    This Sankranthi I enjoyed my time watching movies and enjoying the music filled atmosphere of the surroundings apart from the bright sunshine and warmth that enveloped the Hyderabad City.

    In these day peoples are using China made thread for flying kites. These are not less than sward. Here in Rajasthan many person injured with it and few are died.


    Thank you said by: epraneeth77

  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    anil wrote:
    epraneeth77 wrote:

    Sankranthi is one of the most happy times for an individual I guess, Flying kites, people and friends bonding on the terraces for a casual time while flying kites and children getting entertained watching the flying kites are one of the most happy scenes.

    However it is essential to fly kites after 10 and stop by the evening to avoid any casualties to birds who come out in the morning from 7 to 10 for food for their children and then go back to their homes after 5 or 6. In this way we can enjoy the festival thoroughly. Also one should avoid flying kites on an unprotected terraces. Bikers should drive carefully as the cut kites thread may get them entangled seriously if they drive fast. One should never try to pull the kites stuck in electric poles wires as there is a good chance of electrocution.

    This Sankranthi I enjoyed my time watching movies and enjoying the music filled atmosphere of the surroundings apart from the bright sunshine and warmth that enveloped the Hyderabad City.

    In these day peoples are using China made thread for flying kites. These are not less than sward. Here in Rajasthan many person injured with it and few are died.

    I think there was some ban imposed on China products during Sankranthi. May be it was not effectively implemented as is the case with our law. However people dying because of the Manja is a very serious case and needs to be understood and law needs to be implemented effectively.


  • Re: Happy Lohri and Makar Sakranti

    by » 6 months ago


    epraneeth77 wrote:
    anil wrote:
    epraneeth77 wrote:

    Sankranthi is one of the most happy times for an individual I guess, Flying kites, people and friends bonding on the terraces for a casual time while flying kites and children getting entertained watching the flying kites are one of the most happy scenes.

    However it is essential to fly kites after 10 and stop by the evening to avoid any casualties to birds who come out in the morning from 7 to 10 for food for their children and then go back to their homes after 5 or 6. In this way we can enjoy the festival thoroughly. Also one should avoid flying kites on an unprotected terraces. Bikers should drive carefully as the cut kites thread may get them entangled seriously if they drive fast. One should never try to pull the kites stuck in electric poles wires as there is a good chance of electrocution.

    This Sankranthi I enjoyed my time watching movies and enjoying the music filled atmosphere of the surroundings apart from the bright sunshine and warmth that enveloped the Hyderabad City.

    In these day peoples are using China made thread for flying kites. These are not less than sward. Here in Rajasthan many person injured with it and few are died.

    I think there was some ban imposed on China products during Sankranthi. May be it was not effectively implemented as is the case with our law. However people dying because of the Manja is a very serious case and needs to be understood and law needs to be implemented effectively.

    Yes it is banner but it have not effective. Shopkeeper are selling it and peoples are using it as earlier. Why not government  banned its import.


You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.