{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 10533]}

The last wishes of Alexander the Great:

On his death bed, Alexander summoned his generals and told them his 3 ultimate wishes:

1. The best doctors should carry his coffin.
2. The wealth he has accumulated (money, gold, precious stones) should be scattered along the procession to the cemetery, and
3. His hands should be let loose, hanging outside the coffin for all to see.

One of his generals who was surprised by these unusual requests asked Alexander to explain.

Here is what Alexander the Great had to say:

1. I want the best doctors to carry my coffin to demonstrate that, in the face of death, even the best doctors in the world have no power to heal.
2. I want the road to be covered with my treasure so that everybody sees that material wealth acquired on earth, stays on earth.
3. I want my hands to swing in the wind, so that people understand that we come to this world empty handed and we leave this world empty handed after the most precious treasure of all is exhausted, and that is TIME..
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
"Came empty handed and gone empty handed."
A great message from a great man
Really a great person who understood the final futility of everything he fought for!!!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

That is the first time I am hearing something like this. But yes, these are the signs of great men, who recognize the ultimate truth, at least on death bed.
That is the first time I am hearing something like this. But yes, these are the signs of great men, who recognize the ultimate truth, at least on death bed.

I have heard this before and also read at many places. This is more propagated by spiritualists to degrade worldly matters and promote spirituality.

The real fact is that we need all material things and comforts during our life. There is no need to lament that you will leave everything in the world. All things in the world are for our use till we live and these will be used by our successors and future generations when we depart.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I have heard this before and also read at many places. This is more propagated by spiritualists to degrade worldly matters and promote spirituality.

The real fact is that we need all material things and comforts during our life. There is no need to lament that you will leave everything in the world. All things in the world are for our use till we live and these will be used by our successors and future generations when we depart.

True! But the lesson here is that one should not give up everything in life to keep fighting for more and more of everything that is material. Like for Alexander, he had already got everything that a man desired for money, fame, power, lands, and yet he sacrificed his life at a young age for more of everything that he already had. So the lesson is that one needs to understand when to feel contented and enjoy what you have earned!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I agree with what you say. And if that helps in spreading the spiritual thoughts, that' still better. Yes, we use the materialistic things in life as we live. For a materialistic world, that's a must.

True! But the lesson here is that one should not give up everything in life to keep fighting for more and more of everything that is material. Like for Alexander, he had already got everything that a man desired for money, fame, power, lands, and yet he sacrificed his life at a young age for more of everything that he already had. So the lesson is that one needs to understand when to feel contented and enjoy what you have earned![/quote

How much suffices- is not defined. It appears that Alexander and Ashoka were both frustrated at end of their life. Alexander was frustrated because he could not carry anything with him after death. This should be obvious to all. Ashoka was frustrated because of killings. everyone knows that war means killing. One must aspire to achieve maximum and go to top using fair and lawful means. This is despite the fact that one day you retire from active life and finally from this world.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
This is what he came to know when he was about to die. Had he realised it before dying he would not have fought so many wars. :blink:
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
Alexander is perhaps one of the bravest warriors that history has seen, but his death is still shrouded in mystery since no one knows what illness he died of in Babylon, Egypt . It is suspected that it was probably a relapse of the malaria that he had contacted earlier while in India.Another theory was that he was poisoned..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

"Came empty handed and gone empty handed."
A great message from a great man

Everyone know it that we came here empty hand we gone empty hand. But in practical every one wants to deposit maximum as he can. Why?
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.