How does too much prayer affect life? The normal prayer leaves ample scope for useful work whereas addiction is wasteful exercise.
This is like addiction to video, social sites etc. There are many who would chat for hours on spiritual and religious topics. They are in fact no better than those addicted to card games.

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/is-there-such-a-thing-as-too-much-prayer?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bigthink%2Fblogs%2Fbig-think-ideafeed+%28Big+Think+IdeaFeed%29

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Addiction is addiction and is detrimental to any kind of progress, be that addiction may be to drinking or smoking or praying! I have seen some religious minded who spend hours praying to god, the time which could have better been spent on something productive.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
I don't know, I play a game or two of chess against computer and my daily prayer lasts less than 30 seconds.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Addiction is addiction and is detrimental to any kind of progress, be that addiction may be to drinking or smoking or praying! I have seen some religious minded who spend hours praying to god, the time which could have better been spent on something productive.

Very correct. One day, I went to a grocery shop to buy some home use items. On the way, I saw one man reciting a devotional song and the other listening attentively. Both were so involved that they could not see or hear anything else. During my return, I found that both were still in same position unmindful of anything. Luckily, there were inside colony and there was not big traffic.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Very correct. One day, I went to a grocery shop to buy some home use items. On the way, I saw one man reciting a devotional song and the other listening attentively. Both were so involved that they could not see or hear anything else. During my return, I found that both were still in same position unmindful of anything. Luckily, there were inside colony and there was not big traffic.

That is the general attitude of most people in our country, they believe that the more time they spend in praying and committing various rituals, the more pure and blessed they will be. A little prayer on a daily basis is okay because that serves as an anchor to your soul and helps you keep grounded on your feet. But more than desirable becomes pathological in nature, which is what an addiction is - unhealthy and undesirable.

That is the general attitude of most people in our country, they believe that the more time they spend in praying and committing various rituals, the more pure and blessed they will be. A little prayer on a daily basis is okay because that serves as an anchor to your soul and helps you keep grounded on your feet. But more than desirable becomes pathological in nature, which is what an addiction is - unhealthy and undesirable.

Whether they become more blessed or not, what is noticeable is that they become more judgmental of others behaviour which can be very irritating.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Any addiction makes the concerned person a slave. Such people go by the diktats of the addiction. They lose their individuality. They are no better than a living corpse.

In fact it's not the living corpse that uses blaring mikes to show its depth of devotion. The addiction makes the person believe firmly that god is deaf. For this reason high decibel noises are made to send the message through.
Any addiction makes the concerned person a slave. Such people go by the diktats of the addiction. They lose their individuality. They are no better than a living corpse.

Living corpse doesn't make as much noise as much such people can make. They make life heck for people who live around. And If they use loudspeakers, then you become totally RamBharose.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Whether they become more blessed or not, what is noticeable is that they become more judgmental of others behaviour which can be very irritating.

Yes Jabeen, you pointed it out right! Now that I think of it, people do become more judgmental of others, especially when it comes to dressing style or conduct, not even seeing that theirs too is not so much different than those whom they are judging! So what is the point of all those prayers?

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.