What is the actual date of independence of Pakistan? They celebrate on 14th august a day ahead of India. How is that we attined independence one day late.

The fact is that Pakistan independence was also on 15th August 1947. But for certain reasons given in the link, they celebrate on 14th August.

http://news.oneindia.in/2013/08/14/why-pakistan-celebrates-its-independence-day-on-aug-14-1283017.html

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
It looks like you have forgotten to attach the link! But I looked it up in wikipedia and am pasting the paragraph about it here:

[quote]The date of independence

Since the power of transfer took place on the midnight of 14 and 15 August, the Indian Independence Act 1947 recognised 15 August as the birthday of both Pakistan and India. The act states;[18]

"As from the fifteenth day of August, nineteen hundred and forty-seven, two independent Dominions shall be set up in India, to be known respectively as India and Pakistan."

Jinnah in his first broadcast to the nation stated;[19]

"August 15 is the birthday of the independent and sovereign state of Pakistan. It marks the fulfilment of the destiny of the Muslim nation which made great sacrifices in the past few years to have its homeland."

It was on 15 August that the nation celebrated its birthday, however in subsequent years 14 August was marked as the independence day.[20] The first commemorative postage stamps of the country, released in July 1948, also gave 15 August 1947 as the independence day.[21] The night of 14-15 August 1947 coincided with 27 Ramadan 1366 of the Islamic calendar, which Muslims regard as a sacred night.[22][23]
[/quote]

So actually it was 15th August but somehow got changed to 14th, most probably because they do not want to share their independence day celebration with India!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

It looks like you have forgotten to attach the link! But I looked it up in wikipedia and am pasting the paragraph about it here:

Since the power of transfer took place on the midnight of 14 and 15 August, the Indian Independence Act 1947 recognised 15 August as the birthday of both Pakistan and India. The act states;[18]

"As from the fifteenth day of August, nineteen hundred and forty-seven, two independent Dominions shall be set up in India, to be known respectively as India and Pakistan."

"August 15 is the birthday of the independent and sovereign state of Pakistan. It marks the fulfilment of the destiny of the Muslim nation which made great sacrifices in the past few years to have its homeland."

It was on 15 August that the nation celebrated its birthday, however in subsequent years 14 August was marked as the independence day.[20] The first commemorative postage stamps of the country, released in July 1948, also gave 15 August 1947 as the independence day.[21] The night of 14-15 August 1947 coincided with 27 Ramadan 1366 of the Islamic calendar, which Muslims regard as a sacred night.[22][23]

So actually it was 15th August but somehow got changed to 14th, most probably because they do not want to share their independence day celebration with India![/quote]

Information you gave here is informative. I am agree Pakistan do not want to share pleasure of independence with India.

So actually it was 15th August but somehow got changed to 14th, most probably because they do not want to share their independence day celebration with India![/quote]

Thank you. The link is now added to the post.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

So actually it was 15th August but somehow got changed to 14th, most probably because they do not want to share their independence day celebration with India!

Thank you. The link is now added to the post.[/quote]

From the link one can see why do they celebrate on 14th August and there is another fact, they did not want to wit for another day but do it on that auspicious day of Ramadan to add more significant to their independence day.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Besides the reason given in the link provided, I found another version.
In the capacity of the Last Viceroy of British India, Mountbatten was forced to attend both the independence day functions in both countries. To avoid inconvenience, Mountbatten shifted Pak Independence Day to Aug 14, making it one day ahead to India's.
http://www.oneindia.in/independence-day/2011/english-interesting-facts-on-indian-independence-day-080811.html
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.