Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
When Mehmood enacted in many innumerable donning a south Indian lungi and making fun of the Hindi accents of the south Indians , everybody including south Indians enjoyed. No one took it as an offence. Sardar Khushwant Singh used to write sardar jokes. So what else is left now ? I think I cannot breathe now. Someone may complain that I'm imitating his breathing and ridiculing him.

Sardar Khushwant Singh was a sardar himself if I am not mistaken please?

Khushwant Singh is a learned journalist. He was in Indian Foreign service also. He is above ninety years age, still enjoys drink. He is also romantic type. He was once editor of Illustrated weekly of India. Of course, he is a prominent Sikh. He has no firm belief in God. He says he is agnostic (one who is neither a believer nor disbeliever).

I read Illustrated Weekly for his "With Malice towards One and All" and had it not been for his boasting and over described affairs with women, he could have been there among the top journalists in the world. As far his joke books, these seriously lacked humor part that was specialty of Sardar Khushwant sing once. I can appreciate him for his travel writing but not content which he used for his self promotion.

His train to Pakistan has been acknowledged as the best in its class by the world literary community. And I'd like to emphasize here,that he has carved a niche for himself in both journalistic and literary field. And that's in tact even now.
His " with malice towards one and all" is a syndicated column used by 60 news papers all over the world.

'Malice towards one and all' is also enjoyed by Hindi readers. I've many times read Hindi version titled as 'Na kahoo se dosti na kahoo se vair'.

Yes, that column had a wide circle of fans in many languages. I first accidentally read this column in HT. I still remember sardar and a bulb in the background as its mast head.
When Mehmood enacted in many films donning a south Indian lungi and making fun of the Hindi accents of the south Indians , everybody including south Indians enjoyed. No one took it as an offence. Sardar Khushwant Singh used to write sardar jokes. So what else is left now ? I think I cannot breathe now. Someone may complain that I'm imitating his breathing and ridiculing him.

Even today south indians , their accent and so many other aspects are made fun off , but no one seems to mind , similarly Sardars too are very large hearted and jovial and dont mind the humor...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: suni51
When Mehmood enacted in many films donning a south Indian lungi and making fun of the Hindi accents of the south Indians , everybody including south Indians enjoyed. No one took it as an offence. Sardar Khushwant Singh used to write sardar jokes. So what else is left now ? I think I cannot breathe now. Someone may complain that I'm imitating his breathing and ridiculing him.

Even today south indians , their accent and so many other aspects are made fun off , but no one seems to mind , similarly Sardars too are very large hearted and jovial and dont mind the humor...

I have never seen anyone doing that in real life. I always praise south Indians for their multiple language knowledge. No one in his right mind will ever try to make accent etc a point of fun making. I think it happens in movies only. As far Punjabis especially sardars, yes they truly are big hearted who do it themselves but we should avoid it in our forums as there is no sardar here to enjoy our jokes. same goes for regions, I would prefer not to comment on region basis as i consider all equal or find south Indians more tolerant than most other regions. I have thousands of friends from allover the world and most of the best come from South India thanks to my long stay in there..

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

I have never seen anyone doing that in real life. I always praise south Indians for their multiple language knowledge. No one in his right mind will ever try to make accent etc a point of fun making. I think it happens in movies only. As far Punjabis especially sardars, yes they truly are big hearted who do it themselves but we should avoid it in our forums as there is no sardar here to enjoy our jokes. same goes for regions, I would prefer not to comment on region basis as i consider all equal or find south Indians more tolerant than most other regions. I have thousands of friends from allover the world and most of the best come from South India thanks to my long stay in there..

Although this is slightly a deviation from the topic, let me make the point that a language is enriched when used over a large region. Then, the originality or purity of language cannot be ensured. We accept English of all varieties- American, British, African, Indian- and in different ascents. Similarly, we cannot assume that Hindi will be spoken and written everywhere as in U.P. or M.P. Let us accept and recognize different variants of Hindi as genuine. No form is incorrect. Thus a U.P. resident's Hindi- Ladaki jal peeti hai- is as authentic as Bengali's - ladaki Jol Khata hai.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I too never seen in real life such intolerance towards a particular region or the language or jokes concerned with the region . But the pity is people are not taking in the same sense in media especially in films which are basically entertainment oriented. Anyhow, what I observed is this intolerance in the present days is on the rise.
Jokes are always meant to be taken in the right spirit and only lightly. I am also hearing this for the first time. I really wonder what's going to follow next.

Although this is slightly a deviation from the topic, let me make the point that a language is enriched when used over a large region. Then, the originality or purity of language cannot be ensured. We accept English of all varieties- American, British, African, Indian- and in different ascents. Similarly, we cannot assume that Hindi will be spoken and written everywhere as in U.P. or M.P. Let us accept and recognize different variants of Hindi as genuine. No form is incorrect. Thus a U.P. resident's Hindi- Ladaki jal peeti hai- is as authentic as Bengali's - ladaki Jol Khata hai.

That is true, people with multiple languages cannot speak same accent or slang. Here in Sydney we have people from over 150 countries who all speak a different accent. Some of the accents take two or three 'excuse me' to understand. It is a tough job making out a Chines or Korean for instance, but no one ever minds repeating any number of times.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

That is true, people with multiple languages cannot speak same accent or slang. Here in Sydney we have people from over 150 countries who all speak a different accent. Some of the accents take two or three 'excuse me' to understand. It is a tough job making out a Chines or Korean for instance, but no one ever minds repeating any number of times.

Not only in Sydney, it happens everywhere , where people of different nationalities and languages live. Even an Australian English , which is nasal cannot be deciphered by an English man who resides in England. Here in Ap, it's difficult to follow the same Telugu for a man residing in the neighboring district . In odisha, odiya spoken by a man from Sambalpur district cannot be easily followed by the people of Puri district. In one places "" doodh" means just milk. In the other place in same Odisha, it's " breast milk "
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Here, in our college, there is a big number of people from North-East India and there was a time when I was new to that accent. It was pretty difficult to understand what they were saying. But gradually I got used to it. Now, there's no problem So this can happen in any part of the world.
The joke with sardar characters has distinctly a different flavour than if non sardar characters were used. However while sardar jokes are very famous and uniformly enjoyed but many other community persons do take offence if jokes are cracked on them.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.