Duelling Proverbs are a pair of proverbs,contradictory to each other . These proverbs are correct when applied to life's circumstances. But when these proverbs are viewed without qualification, they contradict each other.Look at the following examples:

1. The pen is mightier than the sword. . .
But:Actions speak louder than words

2. Practice makes perfect.
But:All work and no play makes Jack a
dull boy.

3. He who hesitates is lost.
But:Look before you leap.

4. Clothes makes the man.
But:Never judge a book by its cover.

5. Too many cooks spoil the broth.
But:Two heads are better than one.

6. There is safety in numbers.
But:Better be alone than in bad company.

7. Ask no questions and be told no lies.
But:Ask and you shall receive
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Not really contradicting. Pen is mightier than sword. The second sentence comaperes action with words and not sword. Practice makes one perfect but this is no contradiction to the advice that ypu need also play. Hesitation is bad enough but how this negates the need to look before you leap. Too many cooks an d two heads are not same.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Duelling Proverbs are a pair of proverbs,contradictory to each other . These proverbs are correct when applied to life's circumstances. But when these proverbs are viewed without qualification, they contradict each other.Look at the following examples:

1. The pen is mightier than the sword. . .
But:Actions speak louder than words

2. Practice makes perfect.
But:All work and no play makes Jack a
dull boy.

3. He who hesitates is lost.
But:Look before you leap.

4. Clothes makes the man.
But:Never judge a book by its cover.

5. Too many cooks spoil the broth.
But:Two heads are better than one.

6. There is safety in numbers.
But:Better be alone than in bad company.

7. Ask no questions and be told no lies.
But:Ask and you shall receive

I will go at it one by one...
1, Pen is definitely mightier than sword since written words can change the the way an entire community or even nation thinks...Action referred to in the second proverb is not violent action with a sword..
2, You need balance in life, cannot practice all day long !
4, I guess it is clear that you need to be presentable..this is only as far as first impressions go !
3, A person who dilly dalies will lose , doesnt mean he is going to leap without looking ..
5, Too many people giving too many ideas will not help whereas two people discussing an issue will come out with a more positive evaluation of the situation.
6, Safety in numbers is with reference to a different context altogether...One is definitely better off being alone than be in bad company - here a certain closeness comes in which is not present in the first proverb.
7, I feel ask and you shall receive is a practical quote whereas the ask no questions seems to be a impractical since it cannot be followed ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
Govardhan you are correct. Actually we should follow the proverbs according to the situation. This makes the proverbs different.
Govardhan you are correct. Actually we should follow the proverbs according to the situation. This makes the proverbs different.

I agree with you. A proverb should be taken according to the situation. At a glance,if they are seen as mere proverbs, they look contradicting each other.actually they are not so if they are seen against a situation.
I want to point out one the topic of the thread. It should be "Dual Proverbs" instead of "Duelling Proverbs". The meaning gets changed.
For me it is always a difficult to remember proverb, as many a times it is confusing to me. :whistle: :whistle:

http://mohanmekap.com/

For me it is always a difficult to remember proverb, as many a times it is confusing to me. :whistle: :whistle:

Proverbs are the encapsulated quintessence that reflect a particular society's social and cultural conditions. If understood, they act as powerful tools in enhancing the literary value of a write up or a book. I have a big collection of proverbs of different regions.
I want to point out one the topic of the thread. It should be "Dual Proverbs" instead of "Duelling Proverbs". The meaning gets changed.

Actually Devyani, if you look at the meaning Govardhan has intended, the title is appropriate. He has given the examples of proverbs which contradict each other in meaning , and therefore 'dueling' is correct. Whereas dual only means double here and nothing else!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar
All these proverbs are full of wisdom but one needs some wisdom to get their right meaning.
Such proverbs were created by man itself to precise his meaning. So many proverbs were not their in ancient time. They have many other things to do rather than to talk and expand grammar.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.